Skip to main content
Topic: For Discussion (Read 30480 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: For Discussion

Reply #60
@ Ray (from another thread) - no talent? Sure, a lot to prove, but hey would you have bet Dickson would have kicked 30 goals, let alone 50, for the Dogs this year?

In bold are my 'emerging' B+ to A+ players..... 5 out of 6 contributed nothing to the team in 2015 (apologies to Docherty)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-19/collingwood-v-richmond-who-has-the-better-list-we-crunch-the-numbers

The Tigers have 12 players who were taken in the top 15 of their draft years, and the Pies 10.

Carlton (after next week):  15  :o :o 8) ???

#1s - Gibbs, Smurf, Special K & Weitering
#2 -   Daisy, 1AW
#3 -   Plowman
#8 -   Charlie Curnow
#10 - Gorringe, Sumner
#11 - Everitt, Harry McKay
#12 - Jaksch, Docherty
#13 - Cripps
#18 - Cunigham, Cameron Wood
#19 - Boekhorst
#21 - Jed Lamb

I know it's far from the be all and end all but surely it means something e.g. the problem is largely between our ears!?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63
We "won" the spoon this year and have lost Judd, Carrazzo, Bell, Henderson and Yarran, we would be at fairly short odds to go back to back.
If we win half a dozen games we'll have done very well, 8 wins will be a minor miracle and will probably mean that our five or six top players have played near to a full season, and Jamison as well.
I'm hopeful that we'll improve but not confident.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #64
We "won" the spoon this year and have lost Judd, Carrazzo, Bell, Henderson and Yarran, we would be at fairly short odds to go back to back.
If we win half a dozen games we'll have done very well, 8 wins will be a minor miracle and will probably mean that our five or six top players have played near to a full season, and Jamison as well.

We only had Judd for a short while, Carrazzo was good, Bell was OK and Henderson and Yarran were non-contributors.  It won't take much to put a stronger team on the park and our gameplan should be more competitive and better suited to our list.

The minor miracle should be achievable, if we manage to keep our better players fit and firing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
According to the AFL stats, we had about 5 times the number of games lost to injury than the average of other clubs. Only Gold Coast were comparable to us in their injury woes. It was one of the things that Trigg noted in trying (and failing) to answer my question last night. Then, look at the guys who were injured and the number of critical players was huge.
Look at the guys you mentioned: neither Henderson, Yarran nor Menzel (who you didn't mention) made any significant contribution in the season. Their output on 2015 levels will not be missed and their replacement must improve our overall output. Judd we missed terribly, but we were always going to miss him in 2016. Carrots did well when he was fit, but he was also expected to retire. Bell is the only one of those who would be expected to make a significant contribution based on 2015 form (only). I doubt very much that our replacements cannot cover those losses in the circumstances.
I cannot see us winning more than 8 games either, but I expect us to show a lot for large segments of games and to surprise many teams. Hopefully we can surprise a few them terminally.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #66
Agree...I reckon he might be the new player who impacts most...

Bolton's comments on Wright last night were all about character and morals from memory. All about attitude. Said the same about Kerridge. That young man could well be trump all bar 1 or 2 draftees this year in their contributions to the CFC. Very confident and I just have a feeling that he will be a Scotland like contributor; v solid and importantly, providing consistent output. A lot of Crow members were un-impressed that they traded him out. That speaks volumes in my book. Enjoy Menzel Adelaide. As SoS said so succinctly last night; if you don't want to be at Carlton, we move you on. And they did.
Keep the Faith

Reply #67
Bolton's comments on Wright last night were all about character and morals from memory. All about attitude. Said the same about Kerridge. That young man could well be trump all bar 1 or 2 draftees this year in their contributions to the CFC. Very confident and I just have a feeling that he will be a Scotland like contributor; v solid and importantly, providing consistent output. A lot of Crow members were un-impressed that they traded him out. That speaks volumes in my book. Enjoy Menzel Adelaide. As SoS said so succinctly last night; if you don't want to be at Carlton, we move you on. And they did.

Averages 17 disposals a game, 4 marks, 3.5 tackles and has 63 goals from 94 games...not bad stats from a bit part player who was never a fixture, had one game where he had 37 possies and 4 goals vs Freo...hard work getting those stats vs a ultra defensive mob like Freo who clamp anything that moves...
Both him and Kerridge should be close to being in our best 22 and while Wright would be seen as experienced depth more than a regular senior player I think he can be better than that and give us contributions like Scotland and Hickmott did as imported experienced players...

Reply #68
Averages 17 disposals a game, 4 marks, 3.5 tackles and has 63 goals from 94 games...not bad stats from a bit part player who was never a fixture, had one game where he had 37 possies and 4 goals vs Freo...hard work getting those stats vs a ultra defensive mob like Freo who clamp anything that moves...
Both him and Kerridge should be close to being in our best 22 and while Wright would be seen as experienced depth more than a regular senior player I think he can be better than that and give us contributions like Scotland and Hickmott did as imported experienced players...

Fixing our age structure was one of SOS's targets and I think that he did pretty well with these two.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69
Yep, I'm optimistic that both Kerridge and Wright will become very valuable players next year. They seem to have that level of intensity and enthusiasm we've been crying out for.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #70

And all the poisonous rats (the guys who didn't want to be there) don't get the chance to poison the thinking of the new young (and older) recruits......when there's 3 or 4 guys out there who aren't trying much (for example Yazz, Hendo, Menzel), especially when they're senior or 'good' players it really can destabilise the whole team effort (probably goes without saying).

Contrast Wright and Kerridge who look like very solid, bust your gut types, who will do the 1%ers repeatedly, well that lifts the playing group effort immeasurably.

Was a big, big Yazz fan and saddened by the manner of his exit but he's a man and must take responsibility for his actions - on and off the park.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
And all the poisonous rats (the guys who didn't want to be there) don't get the chance to poison the thinking of the new young (and older) recruits......when there's 3 or 4 guys out there who aren't trying much (for example Yazz, Hendo, Menzel), especially when they're senior or 'good' players it really can destabilise the whole team effort (probably goes without saying).

That is why sometimes I am bemused at people calling for Murphy and Gibbs to be moved on.  I believe that they are very much committed to the cause and are opposite to the 'poisonous rats' and are needed to reinforce the values and the work ethic that we now require. I also put Thomas in that category too.

Reply #72
This thread of December predictions makes for very interesting reading when you have a spare 10-15 mins!!

Reply #73
This thread of December predictions makes for very interesting reading when you have a spare 10-15 mins!!
A few predicted 6-10 wins (DJC and Amers I think) and were spot on.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #74
A few predicted 6-10 wins (DJC and Amers I think) and were spot on.

It wasn't rocket science GIC.  Just a considered appraisal of the list and factoring in the impact of a competent coach.

I didn't pick our wins over Freo and Geelong and thought we'd beat St Kilda (twice) and Brisbane.  St Kilda is clearly a little ahead of where I rated them.