Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 89149 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #15
Bit disappointing to see Ricciardo being given the Eagles No.1 ticket!

Only a year or so ago he was at Princes Park getting jumpers and the full treatment off Carlton!

He's always been a big Eagles fan. We tried our darndest to persuade him to the Blues, but he stayed loyal.

Reply #16
I can't find the thread where his accident was posted but sadly Jules Bianchi has passed away.

Reply #17
Is it time for Alonso to pull the plug?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18

From McLaren perhaps. Honda has failed him and them.

There were rumours he was either going to buy his own team, or go to McLaren.....not sure which team he was going to buy, but i reckon he made the wrong call.

Reply #19

Slightly off topic but pretty sure Darryl Beatie said that Rossi should have retired a couple of years ago too  ::)

Reply #20
Slightly off topic but pretty sure Darryl Beatie said that Rossi should have retired a couple of years ago too  ::)

Motorsport is the same as footy.

Get a good car/bike under you and you'll look a million bucks.
Get a good team/club around you and you'll look a million bucks.

Reply #21
What do we think of the new Quali elimination format? I loved it until the last 4 mins. I was expecting a final shootout but tyre limitations ended Q3 with 3 mins remaining. Anticlimactic to say the least.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
What do we think of the new Quali elimination format? I loved it until the last 4 mins. I was expecting a final shootout but tyre limitations ended Q3 with 3 mins remaining. Anticlimactic to say the least.

The commentators certainly let their feelings be known.

Personally i think the idea of it is awesome.

Unfortunately it appears some of the teams have very little idea of how it works. Too many times they sent drivers out too late meaning they simply wasted a set of tyres for nothing.

Agree about places like SPA though, when the 90 sec limit is pretty stupid....and even the 5 minutes before someone is eliminated in Q3 is pretty stupid. You ould have the scenario that in a wet Q3, not 1 car has actually got around their outlap and completed their hot lap before drivers are starting to get eliminated!

Under the current setup, is there really any need to have it split up over 3 mini qualifying sessions anyway?

Needs a rethink, but i'm not sure it will get a chance. I suspect it may be a one off.

Reply #23
The commentators certainly let their feelings be known.

Personally i think the idea of it is awesome.

Unfortunately it appears some of the teams have very little idea of how it works. Too many times they sent drivers out too late meaning they simply wasted a set of tyres for nothing.

Agree about places like SPA though, when the 90 sec limit is pretty stupid....and even the 5 minutes before someone is eliminated in Q3 is pretty stupid. You ould have the scenario that in a wet Q3, not 1 car has actually got around their outlap and completed their hot lap before drivers are starting to get eliminated!

Under the current setup, is there really any need to have it split up over 3 mini qualifying sessions anyway?

Needs a rethink, but i'm not sure it will get a chance. I suspect it may be a one off.
Give them more sets of tyres per GP and it will work. Its exciting in theory.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
Good idea, but needs adjusting to allow completion of a lap or a longer elimination time   From the pits to do an out lap and complete a timed is about 3mins.  This means that the second last team may need to pit before they know they are that close to elimination.

Without adjustment it is just musical chairs at a 5yo birthday party

Reply #25
Good idea, but needs adjusting to allow completion of a lap or a longer elimination time   From the pits to do an out lap and complete a timed is about 3mins.  This means that the second last team may need to pit before they know they are that close to elimination.

Without adjustment it is just musical chairs at a 5yo birthday party
I like it. They calculate the fork out of everything, this is just another calc and strategy they have to do. Get it wrong, you're stuffed, get it right, the driver lives to play another day.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #26
F1 is an interesting political beast.  I hear they are reverting to the previous format for the next race ate some complaints...

Reply #27
It was a disaster yesterday, they had to scrap it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #28
It was a disaster yesterday, they had to scrap it.

It WAS a disaster, but i think the teams are mostly to blame for that.

They simply did not send ther drivers out at the right time.

Its pretty simple. Every 90 seconds a guy gets eliminated. Thats how long it takes to do a lap. You need to do 2 (out lap + hot lap) which is 3 minutes.

If you are next to be eliminated and you are in the pits, too bad.
If you are the the one to be eliminated after the next one and you are in the pits. Too bad.
If there are 2 drivers between you and the 'elimination bubble' get your butt out on the track immediately, otherwise you will essentially be gone too in a minute or so.
If there are 3 drivers between you and the 'elimination bubble get your butt on the track immediately, otherwise as the guy above you doing a hit lap can put you out in a minute or so.
etc...

Teams need to think at least 3 minutes ahead. They weren't.

Why Ferrari decided to sit out the last 5 minutes or so was a weird decision. If it was simply to save tyres for the race, let them have more tyres for qualifying.

A lot of the issues can be fixed if the teams wise up to what is going on, and they are allowed extra sets of tyres.

Reply #29
It WAS a disaster, but i think the teams are mostly to blame for that.

They simply did not send ther drivers out at the right time.

Its pretty simple. Every 90 seconds a guy gets eliminated. Thats how long it takes to do a lap. You need to do 2 (out lap + hot lap) which is 3 minutes.

If you are next to be eliminated and you are in the pits, too bad.
If you are the the one to be eliminated after the next one and you are in the pits. Too bad.
If there are 2 drivers between you and the 'elimination bubble' get your butt out on the track immediately, otherwise you will essentially be gone too in a minute or so.
If there are 3 drivers between you and the 'elimination bubble get your butt on the track immediately, otherwise as the guy above you doing a hit lap can put you out in a minute or so.
etc...

Teams need to think at least 3 minutes ahead. They weren't.

Why Ferrari decided to sit out the last 5 minutes or so was a weird decision. If it was simply to save tyres for the race, let them have more tyres for qualifying.

A lot of the issues can be fixed if the teams wise up to what is going on, and they are allowed extra sets of tyres.
I agree Krudd, I think the number of tyres was the problem, they could afford to have another crack. Give em more tyres and let the elimination format sort the the men from the boys. Get it wrong? Tough titties.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th