Skip to main content
Topic: The Ashes - Second Test @ Lords  (Read 29211 times) previous topic - next topic

The Ashes - Second Test @ Lords

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/15/england-unchanged-team-second-test

England have stuck with a winning squad for the second Ashes Test at Lord's.

Alastair Cook's team hung on for a famous 14-run win in a titanic first Test at Trent Bridge and the selectors this morning confirmed the same 13 to pick from when the second starts on Thursday.

Cook and his coach Andy Flower will then have tougher decisions to make about whether to again give Steven Finn the nod as their third seamer ahead of either Tim Bresnan or Graham Onions.

A Cook (Essex, capt), J Anderson (Lancashire), J Bairstow (Yorkshire), I Bell (Warwickshire), T Bresnan (Yorkshire), S Broad (Nottinghamshire), S Finn (Middlesex), G (Durham), K Pietersen (Surrey), M Prior (Sussex), J Root (Yorkshire), G Swann, (Nottinghamshire), J Trott (Warwickshire).

I hope they keep Finn in the starting 11 because he bowls juicy pies that all of our batsmen bite into with ease.

As for the Aussie team, Cowan has to be dropped surely, getting out to that part-timer Joe Root was unforgiveable. I still think we need another bowling option because Watson is not a wicket-taker, he's just a stop-gap measure whilst the front-liners catch their breath.

Can we further strengthen the batting at all ??   
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Ashes - Second Test @ Lords

Reply #1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/15/england-unchanged-team-second-test

England have stuck with a winning squad for the second Ashes Test at Lord's.

Alastair Cook's team hung on for a famous 14-run win in a titanic first Test at Trent Bridge and the selectors this morning confirmed the same 13 to pick from when the second starts on Thursday.

Cook and his coach Andy Flower will then have tougher decisions to make about whether to again give Steven Finn the nod as their third seamer ahead of either Tim Bresnan or Graham Onions.

A Cook (Essex, capt), J Anderson (Lancashire), J Bairstow (Yorkshire), I Bell (Warwickshire), T Bresnan (Yorkshire), S Broad (Nottinghamshire), S Finn (Middlesex), G (Durham), K Pietersen (Surrey), M Prior (Sussex), J Root (Yorkshire), G Swann, (Nottinghamshire), J Trott (Warwickshire).

I hope they keep Finn in the starting 11 because he bowls juicy pies that all of our batsmen bite into with ease.

As for the Aussie team, Cowan has to be dropped surely, getting out to that part-timer Joe Root was unforgiveable. I still think we need another bowling option because Watson is not a wicket-taker, he's just a stop-gap measure whilst the front-liners catch their breath.

Can we further strengthen the batting at all ??  

I think Bresnan will play ahead of Finn....the latter was very ordinary with the ball and even less convincing in the field.
Bresnan is handy with the willow which will make the Poms batting deeper and his bowling while nothing scary is that of your typical English pro who will work batsman out rather than blast them out.

Bairstow didnt impress me with the bat and while Root looked ok in the First Innings he is still a young kid learning the game.....

Harris or Bird in for Starc and I think Cowan will get another chance.....

Hope the wicket at Lords has some more life than Trent Bridge..the lack of bounce really took the edge of our quicks IMO..Pattinson and Starc couldnt get any real lift to trouble the batsman and none of our blokes move the ball like Anderson. I wonder if its a plan of the Poms to serve up these dead wickets with no bounce...

Reply #2
With the next Test straight away and the high overs bowled in the second innings I'd look at two bowling changes. Bird in for Starc and possibly Faulkner for Siddle. Cowan has to miss out with Kawajha getting his chance.

Watson
Rogers
Kawajha
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Faulkner
Agar
Pattison
Bird

Bird line and length but can reverse swing
Faulkner, if the Poms send another low wicket his change of pace will be a great advantage plus his batting is excellent for number 8
Kawajha simply must get a bat and start to build a career.

Siddle gets a rest and Starc gets a rocket. Both bowled too many 4 balls and while Siddle got a 5 for manage him because its a long 6 months of cricket

Reply #3
Keep hearing reports that Boof wants some players and the selectors want others.

In the first Test Boof wanted Smith and Kawaja ahead of Cowan.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #4
Keep hearing reports that Boof wants some players and the selectors want others.

How is a coach expected to get results when others tinker with the line up.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5

Historically Mants, the coach gets a vote, not the power of veto over the selection panel.

I think Boof is right. Selecting 4 openers in a batting line-up says (to me anyway) we don'have faith in the batting order.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #6

Historically Mants, the coach gets a vote, not the power of veto over the selection panel.

I think Boof is right. Selecting 4 openers in a batting line-up says (to me anyway) we don'have faith in the batting order.

I didn't get a chance to watch the last test, but to be honest with what I did see, I had little faith of us winning. That huge last wicket stand with Agar was amazing, but how often will that happen. Then the second innings fail with the bat by batsmen that are payed thousands of dollars to do their job, place all the pressure on another last wicket miracle. Sure they came close when I thought they wouldn't but they are getting larger partnerships further down the order than what should be happening with the first 5 batters. This isn't the first game we see issues with the bat. This has been happening for years now. Watching cricket today and in the last few years really makes me miss Gillcrist, Border, Greg Chappell, Dean Jones, Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Hayden, Langer, Slater, Symmonds, Boon, Hussey, Hussey, Healy, Taylor, Ponting (In form) and even Boof. Don't want to even start on the bowlers. I could have rolled out a bigger list but I didn't want to jam up our new system. ;D

Need to pick a squad based on players that can play a role. Openers x2, 1st drop all the way through to keeper and an all rounder and pace bowlers. Change a couple of players per match to add spin, and extra pace, or an injured batter and make them work together to get it all happening. If they start mixing and chopping every game, they will completely do our heads in.

Batsmen:

When a ball is bowled to you remember this;

If it is swinging outside the line of off stump, LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't dab the bat at it. Get to the pitch of a delivery bowled with the bat close to the pad and stroke the shot. Don't half heartedly dab at it with the bat wide of your pad. Use your footwork to get to the pitch of the ball, or get onto the back foot and watch the ball all the way up to where it hits the bat. Play with some confidence you won't be bowled out. Don't half guess a shot. Play the ball with the respect it deserves. If its short hit it. Play your shots with a straight bat and drive it down the line. Use the clever shots once you are in and have read the pace of the pitch, and the swing of the ball. Play like a Kallis. Not like a nervous McGrath. Don't try to be too clever. Be smart. If you aim to play square of the wicket, hit the ball to ground to avoid being caught, but hit with the intension of hitting a boundary. Otherwise play square and elevate it over fielders in catching position. Don't get caught up on the popping crease too often. Stand outside the crease and use your feet. MOVE FFS.

Too many times I am watching the game and I want to throw a bat through the TV screen at the batsmen to let them know I am watching and that they are being too clever, or just plain dumb. Batting isn't as much of a science as our players make it look. Occupy the crease and keep the score board rolling over. Play each delivery with the respect it deserves. Not every delivery is a winner. Not every delivery is a hack. Use your eyes and use your head. Most importantly use your friggen feet. Sorry CIMM, just venting what is probably the bleeding obvious, or just crazy talk. ???
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #7

I don't have any faith in our batting top order, why would the selectors/coach be any different!  :-\

For me Uzi in for Cowan.
Our bowling is solid.

And warn the rest of the side that Warner will be coming back in for the 3rd test, and that the worst performing batsmen is getting the flick for him.

If we lose this test, then our next chance to get the urn back is back here in Oz this summer.

Reply #8
The sloping pitch at Lords will certainly sort the men from the boys in regards to bowlers accuracy. Maybe this gives a nice big tick to Bird coming in for the (often) wayward Starc.

(Mind you I like the left hand bowling option Starc brings plus footmarks for Agar (and unfortunately Swan) to bowl into come later in the match).

If Watson at first slip cops a few errant deliveries from Starc (ala Harmison style), then not only is it a wide to the poms, its a likely career ending injury for 'paper mache' Watson... hell on second thoughts, maybe Starc SHOULD stay in for this very reason....  :P

Reply #9
SEN reporting that Harris and Kawaja in for Starc and Cowan.

Queensland win again!

Understandable decisions, would have liked to have seen Bird in, but Harris is very dependable when fit.

Reply #10
Bring on Kawaja! I've lost a lot of interest in cricket over the years but this kid may make me start watching again.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ryan-harris-and-usman-khawaja-into-ashes-team-for-second-test-20130718-2q657.html

Mitchell Starc’s hot and cold performance last week has cost him his position in the Australian team for the second Test.
Burly Queensland quick Ryan Harris will come into the XI in Starc’s place while Usman Khawaja has been called in to replace Ed Cowan in the Australian top order.

Cowan had to go after two terrible shots in the first Test. Starc a bit unlucky.

Would have played Bird ahead of Harris on this strip.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
Bring on Kawaja! I've lost a lot of interest in cricket over the years but this kid may make me start watching again.

Genuine No 3 which I like..only con I have on him is his fielding,he looks a bit porky and moves like it in the field.
Hopefully can build an innings and provide some stability while the strokemakers do their thing...

Harris is a good choice and if he can stay fit should provide us with decent line and length and I like the way he keeps the ball up to the bat and think
he will enjoy the conditions. Maybe some shorter spells can make him more durable.....and am hoping Anderson is worn out after Trent Bridge and Cook over bowls him at Lords and
he could be done for the remaining tests...

Reply #13
Harris is no world-beater but he is a genuine competitor and is not afraid to give them some "chin music" whereas Starc does tend to 'coast' through some bowling spells.  

Cowan is finished as a Test batsmen, in fact he should never of been picked to tour. Khawaja has an opportunity to secure a place in the team for some time if he is prepared to put some value on his wicket. He doesn't need to pull out big tons either, scores of 20-30 in both innings are better than what Cowan has been offering up and demonstrates a consistency we have been badly lacking.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #14
Harris is no world-beater but he is a genuine competitor and is not afraid to give them some "chin music" whereas Starc does tend to 'coast' through some bowling spells.  

Cowan is finished as a Test batsmen, in fact he should never of been picked to tour. Khawaja has an opportunity to secure a place in the team for some time if he is prepared to put some value on his wicket. He doesn't need to pull out big tons either, scores of 20-30 in both innings are better than what Cowan has been offering up and demonstrates a consistency we have been badly lacking.

I had no issue with Cowan being selected as an opener.

But a number 3 he aint.