Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes Controversy - Poms Tape Bats To Avoid Hotspot (Read 6486 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes Controversy - Poms Tape Bats To Avoid Hotspot

Reply #1
Is there a sport where people don't cheat to be the best ??? :o
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
Not just tapes, there are oils that can be applied to do the same. There are any number of fluoropolymer based coatings and oils that reduce friction and as such may diminish the abilities of hot spot.

Also, there are specific infrared reflecting or absorbing coatings that would also reduce the contrast between the hot zone and the rest of the surface.

For me there is a clear ready made technology solution and Hot Spot, Hawkeye and Snicko are not part of it! But commercial interests are preventing anyone but Hawkeye getting a leg in!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
This is a complete blow up IMHO.  One of my early bats (Slazenger btw) had a coating called Polyarmour, which was popular at the time.  What if this coating were found to diminish the hotspot showing up on edges ?  What about pig skin ? Should stuff like this be banned just because it might interfere with the technology upon which DRS is based ?  As far as I'm concerned you can put just about any coating (within reason) you like on a bat as long as it still conforms to the legal requirements of bat size, shape etc as has been set down by the MCC/ICC for years (with a notable change to the law regarding the base bat material in 1979/80).

As an ex-bowler, what is more concerning & more akin to cheating is the ridiculous size to weight ratio & sweet spot area of modern bats......
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #4
This is a complete blow up IMHO.  One of my early bats (Slazenger btw) had a coating called Polyarmour, which was popular at the time.  What if this coating were found to diminish the hotspot showing up on edges ?  What about pig skin ? Should stuff like this be banned just because it might interfere with the technology upon which DRS is based ?  As far as I'm concerned you can put just about any coating (within reason) you like on a bat as long as it still conforms to the legal requirements of bat size, shape etc as has been set down by the MCC/ICC for years (with a notable change to the law regarding the base bat material in 1979/80).

As an ex-bowler, what is more concerning & more akin to cheating is the ridiculous size to weight ratio & sweet spot area of modern bats......

Like this one?. I think this is about a 72-74 Version. I had the '77 version and it had red/white and blue stripe across the front.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #5
I love it!  We used to rejoice in this (supposed) ingenuity.

It is not banned.  It is not tested.  It is the players coming up with a solution to a problem.

Is it moral? Possibly not.  Is not walking when you've nicked it moral? 

What happens now?  Does the theory actually get tested?  Do the tests go further as per the suggestions by LP?

Do they sack hotspot until there is some proof.

This is a much more fun concept than using drugs to get an unfair result.

Reply #6
Any good plumber has a roll of teflon tape in his tool box.

Reply #7
Solution - Use the middle of your bat to hit the ball.

Take note aussies!

Reply #8
Wouldn't want to be given out LBW after edging onto your pads.

Reply #9
Spot on, hot spot on even!

The silicone tapes and coatings are a doubled edged sword, or bat for that matter.

The first time one of these cheating blokes gets given out edging the ball into their pads, assuming with no hot spot showing, those tapes and coatings will be off like Paris Hilton's knickers!

There is / was a high speed video/image/sound analysis method that allegedly out performed Hawkeye, Hot Spot, Snicko and just about every other method. It could even adjudicate no-balls in real time, and it was smart enough to learn from it's mistakes if any of it's decisions got over-ridden by a third umpire resulting in it getting better over time.

But it was not developed by the owners of the TV networks and no MCC stakeholders were shareholders. In the long term it threatened the status of umpires, and some parties didn't like that. FFS, it would be incorruptible!

As a result I believe the company that developed it has now withdrawn the product from that market segment and restricts sales to security for governments and the military. It may be watching and identifying you right now!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
"The first time one of these cheating blokes gets given out edging the ball into their pads, assuming with no hot spot showing, those tapes and coatings will be off like Paris Hilton's knickers!"

Not if you tape the outside edge and leave the inside edge 'pure'...while it may then pick up the inside edge for a caught behind, or down leg side, percentages probably mean that you're still in front...

Reply #12

Watson should silicon tape his pads all over.....they have seen more of the ball than his bat..

He should silicone over his body.

He's getting so fat he's got moobs.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #13

Like this one?. I think this is about a 72-74 Version. I had the '77 version and it had red/white and blue stripe across the front.

Great photo, no mine was a couple of years later....my first proper bat (Size 6) was a cleanskin Slazenger with the diagonal blue & white stripes on the front (Allan Border used one).  Got that about 1978.  It was my 2nd bat (about 1980 I reckon)  that had the Polyarmour...it was  Kim Hughes Autograph !

Still got both of them.

cheers

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.