Skip to main content
Topic: Mitch Robinson --> Adrian Hickmott mark II! (Read 8357 times) previous topic - next topic

Mitch Robinson --> Adrian Hickmott mark II!

So i've long been a critic of Robbo and his inability to find a teammate with the ball. Despite his best Miley Cyrus impersonations, a lot of his hard work is for nothing and can be counter productive.

I've recently noticed that he could be a very important player for us if we made a move.
Play him as a marking Half forward, ala Adrian Hickmott.

For those who cannot recall, Hickmott, was a medium sized player with a large sized heart and scrotum.
He was a team player that never died wondering and did the 1%ers.
He was a terrific mark for his size.
He was a decent shot at goal.
He loved a scuffle.
He was a very important player for the Blues despite him not being blessed with the skills/speed/endurance of the modern day footballer.
He was also a ranger with short hair.

Now mitch has been predominantly used as a midfielder who drifts forward, or can sometimes be played as a defensive forward.
I reckon we should use him as a more permanent forward. He will provide us with the defensive pressure we require up forward. He will no longer hurt us with his rainmakers. He will impact the scoreboard.

What do you reckon?

Re: Mitch Robinson --> Adrian Hickmott mark II!

Reply #1
 I think there's scope for him to spend more time forward, but personally I wouldn't want him there permanently. Given where he's at now, if he spent say another 20% time up forward, that would do me.

Reply #2
So i've long been a critic of Robbo and his inability to find a teammate with the ball. Despite his best Miley Cyrus impersonations, a lot of his hard work is for nothing and can be counter productive.

I've recently noticed that he could be a very important player for us if we made a move.
Play him as a marking Half forward, ala Adrian Hickmott.

For those who cannot recall, Hickmott, was a medium sized player with a large sized heart and scrotum.
He was a team player that never died wondering and did the 1%ers.
He was a terrific mark for his size.
He was a decent shot at goal.
He loved a scuffle.
He was a very important player for the Blues despite him not being blessed with the skills/speed/endurance of the modern day footballer.
He was also a ranger with short hair.

Now mitch has been predominantly used as a midfielder who drifts forward, or can sometimes be played as a defensive forward.
I reckon we should use him as a more permanent forward. He will provide us with the defensive pressure we require up forward. He will no longer hurt us with his rainmakers. He will impact the scoreboard.

What do you reckon?
I reckon thats a great idea.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Also gives mick another option should things not be going to well for us.

Send Robbo into the midfield

aka...

Reply #4
There is one flaw in this plan and its quite significant.

There are some strong similiarities between Hickmott & Robinson but whenever Hickmott had to take an important set shot, he nailed it. Robinson is a bit like Casboult, no-one knows where it will end up.   
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #5

There are some strong similiarities between Hickmott & Robinson but whenever Hickmott had to take an important set shot, he nailed it. Robinson is a bit like Casboult, no-one knows where it will end up.  

Robinson is a much better set shot than Casboult.
Robinson is a much better shot at goal than he is when having a shot on the run.

You'd actually be surprised how good of a shot he is...and he takes a lot of shots from 50m

Reply #6

Robinson is a much better shot at goal than he is when having a shot on the run.

You'd actually be surprised how good of a shot he is...and he takes a lot of shots from 50m

I'm a better set shot than Casboult so that isn't saying much.

Is he as reliable as Hickmott was though ?? I highly doubt it !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #7

Disagree strongly, Casboult is terrible ATM. Robbo is generally a very good kick for goal. You're onto something here Krud.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8

I'm a better set shot than Casboult so that isn't saying much.

Is he as reliable as Hickmott was though ?? I highly doubt it !!
Mitch's first 5 yrs of AFL, he kicked 52G 52B (0.59G per game). In Hicky's first 5 yrs, he kicked 37G 42B (0.51G per game), just saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
Hickmott changed his kicking action under the tutelage of Wayne Brittain and became a dead eye dick from set shots. He was 83.42 in his last four years.

There are some similarities though Hickmott had a touch of class IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #10
Hickmott changed his kicking action under the tutelage of Wayne Brittain and became a dead eye dick. There are some similarities though Hickmott had a touch of class IMO.
He only had class later in his career.

As g2c stated, 5 years in, they are on a par.

FWIW, only 1 of those years was Hicky at Carlton.

Reply #11
Me like. Use him to our advantage, will try and mark anything in his postcode and he is a pretty decent mark as he never shutters from contact and might draw a few free kicks. Not to mention, his pressure and he will most likely crash some packs. Then chuck him in a few centre bounces for a bit of chaos when needed. Will complement the class of Menzel nicely.

Reply #12
Since Eddie left and Garlett struggles for a game. I think we could use Robbo's pressure in the forward line. The ball comes out of our forward line so easily sometimes...

Reply #13
Although I agree that Robbo would be a more than handy permanent forward (good hands overhead, excellent leap, nimble on his feet, forward pressure personified)....can you imagine a forward line containing Robbo, Levi and Waite - arguably the worst 3 shots at goal in the AFL? *shudder*
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #14
Although I agree that Robbo would be a more than handy permanent forward (good hands overhead, excellent leap, nimble on his feet, forward pressure personified)....can you imagine a forward line containing Robbo, Levi and Waite - arguably the worst 3 shots at goal in the AFL? *shudder*

lol true that
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain