Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon on Thursday (Read 3928 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon on Thursday

Reply #15
Credit where credit is due; Carlton have strived for consistency across both the Men's and Women's teams and it really does appear they have this now.

Funny, i haven't heard the final siren yet.

8 points in it....

Our girls don't give up. Have faith.

Reply #16
Scoreless first two quarters hurt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Good fight back, but not good enough.

1 goal loss.

This will be an eye opener and remind the girls that being favourites does not mean you get a win. They'll dig deep and not give up a 4 goal (half a game) headstart.

Reply #18
Great to see Spanner is having a ripper preseason, I’m tipping him to have a big 2021...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #19
Good effort to get back into it, final siren is a bit controversial, the last quarter is about 3 minutes shorter than the other quarters.

I fear a clear problem with AFLW is the coaches, they are making the game a piss-weak version of the men's game. The tagging tactics tonight degraded what could have been a much better spectacle. I stated in the first season the girls game needed to evolve in the different direction, that hasn't happened, and the girls do not have the power or speed to break tags, tonight Prespakis had two opponents hanging off her before she even got near the footy and not a free kick in sight. Ditto for Harris.

It's mental midgets bringing the copycat men's tactics to AFLW that will destroy the multi-million dollar investment, the competition will be broke within  decade because people won't pay to watch a lesser version of the men's game which is where the coaches have it heading. If I was the government I wouldn't spend a cent more until I see a change in attitude and direction, the problem isn't the players or skills, it's an administrative and officiation issue.

The girls game needs to be far more open, it needs some progressive coaches, administration and umpiring if it is to survive and profit.

FWIW, I thought the umpires came good in the second half after a pretty ordinary start, early on there were some Barry Crockers, outright guessing. But by the second half they had settled down, I was pleased to hear the senior umpire interjecting more frequently in the second half. I suspect that is the structure we need in AFL with a senior central umpire having the ability to over-rule and interject.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Good effort to get back into it, final siren is a bit controversial, the last quarter is about 3 minutes shorter than the other quarters.

I fear a clear problem with AFLW is the coaches, they are making the game a piss-weak version of the men's game. The tagging tactics tonight degraded what could have been a much better spectacle. I stated in the first season the girls game needed to evolve in the different direction, that hasn't happened, and the girls do not have the power or speed to break tags, tonight Prespakis had two opponents hanging off her before she even got near the footy and not a free kick in sight. Ditto for Harris.

It's mental midgets bringing the copycat men's tactics to AFLW that will destroy the multi-million dollar investment, the competition will be broke within  decade because people won't pay to watch a lesser version of the men's game which is where the coaches have it heading. If I was the government I wouldn't spend a cent more until I see a change in attitude and direction, the problem isn't the players or skills, it's an administrative and officiation issue.

The girls game needs to be far more open, it needs some progressive coaches, administration and umpiring if it is to survive and profit.

FWIW, I thought the umpires came good in the second half after a pretty ordinary start, early on there were some Barry Crockers, outright guessing. But by the second half they had settled down, I was pleased to hear the senior umpire interjecting more frequently in the second half. I suspect that is the structure we need in AFL with a senior central umpire having the ability to over-rule and interject.

People want to win matches not entertain.

Rule #1, put hard tags on your opposition best players.

If that worked, then its up to US to work out how to deal with it, not whinge and moan about the spectacle.

We are so self important, but footy has never been about entertaining fans, and has always been about winning footy matches.

the sooner people who have a whine about the entertainment realise that, the happier they will be with the end product (particularly when their team wins).

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21

Some really excellent observations here, Spotted One.

From the get-go of the AFLW I could not for the life of me understand why the gals played on a full sized ground with numbers similar to the men.

For the first quarter of last night's game to yield 1 behind is simply appalling and unlikely to serve as an advertisement for the game and it's growth. Total yawn material.

We need urgent rule changes/modifications to help this game appeal to gals throughout the country as something they'd like to try... and make it appeal to people throughout the country as something they'd like to watch. I turned off early in the 2nd qtr because it was just too negative/defensive.

And the number of 'holding the ball/incorrect disposals' that the gals got away with was tiresome.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22
People want to win matches not entertain.

Rule #1, put hard tags on your opposition best players.

If that worked, then its up to US to work out how to deal with it, not whinge and moan about the spectacle.

We are so self important, but footy has never been about entertaining fans, and has always been about winning footy matches.

the sooner people who have a whine about the entertainment realise that, the happier they will be with the end product (particularly when their team wins).
I think you've missed the point, my commentary was not about the spectacle as a sport, it was about it's ability to compete for dollars and survival against elite male sport to achieve a parity.

Playing the same game as the men, using the same tactics, is surely a dead end because the girls won't even achieve parity with the efforts of teenage boys! So how can a sport survive in a professional sphere to achieve wage and career parity when it's effectively 3rd or 4th tier at best? As a sporting spectacle they are not even on parity with boys U15s!

So I maintain it needs a style and optic all of it's own.

People will try to paint me as an AFLW troll for writing the above commentary, particularly those who think the game should be the same for all genders and ages, which it isn't anyway already. I've been a booster for AFLW from the start, but it's clear to me it cannot be the same game as men.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
We need urgent rule changes/modifications to help this game appeal to gals throughout the country as something they'd like to try... and make it appeal to people throughout the country as something they'd like to watch. I turned off early in the 2nd qtr because it was just too negative/defensive.

And the number of 'holding the ball/incorrect disposals' that the gals got away with was tiresome.
I realise the girls will resist this, they want to play the same sport under the same rules, but as a professional spectacle competing against the mens version it's not going to thrive, it may survive but will those piling in millions of dollars really be happy with just a survival?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Many who live in societies where alternative sports are available to the boring global 1-Nil soccer games often vote with our feet to some alternativeI think you've missed the point, my commentary was not about the spectacle as a sport, it was about it's ability to compete for dollars and survival against elite male sport to achieve a parity.

Playing the same game as the men, using the same tactics, is surely a dead end because the girls won't even achieve parity with the efforts of teenage boys! So how can a sport survive in a professional sphere to achieve wage and career parity when it's effectively 3rd or 4th tier at best? As a sporting spectacle they are not even on parity with boys U15s!

So I maintain it needs a style and optic all of it's own.

People will try to paint me as an AFLW troll for writing the above commentary, particularly those who think the game should be the same for all genders and ages, which it isn't anyway already. I've been a booster for AFLW from the start, but it's clear to me it cannot be the same game as men.
I'm not sure playing a dumbed down game will help the AFLW improve the standard, I dont follow the AFLW so am no expert but I watched last night and you have a couple of players on each team capable of playing at a decent standard, a few in the might improve phase and then some who have real limitations.
Prespakis and Lambert stood out as players who need to be playing under the same conditions as the men and to make them play a T20 version would be detrimental to them and the game. Its a case of being patient and waiting till more girls can play at the standard of the two I mentioned which means better coaching, more resources and attracting more players .

Reply #25
Good to see our women's team mimic the men's....lol. Give away a big headstart and a run of goals to the opposition then a big fightback to just lose.

Reply #26
I'm not sure playing a dumbed down game will help the AFLW improve the standard, I dont follow the AFLW so am no expert but I watched last night and you have a couple of players on each team capable of playing at a decent standard, a few in the might improve phase and then some who have real limitations.
Prespakis and Lambert stood out as players who need to be playing under the same conditions as the men and to make them play a T20 version would be detrimental to them and the game. Its a case of being patient and waiting till more girls can play at the standard of the two I mentioned which means better coaching, more resources and attracting more players .

Pretty much summed up most team sports compositions.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
Good to see our women's team mimic the men's....lol. Give away a big headstart and a run of goals to the opposition then a big fightback to just lose.

....not to mention go to sleep for 10 minutes and let the opposition bang on a series of cheap goals.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #28
Laj, Tonyo, I think that was Spanner's point.

Reply #29
At least we know the club is on the same page for both the mens and womens team, how often though do you see a team hyped up with expectation to do well, then think they just have to rock up to win and then get knocked over.