Skip to main content
Topic: A List with Real Potential (Read 22864 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A List with Real Potential

Reply #75
I have Charlie Curnow pegged more as a Kouta utility type who will play a lot of roles...he is too good an athlete to be left going cold down forward...sure he will play there at times but I see him running on the ball as well so he can use that athletic ability to be a marking target from kickouts etc

Kerr at FF, Harry Mac at CHF and SOSOS as the third tall forward is how I see the Forward line setup on a more consistent basis...

Hard to argue with your logic EB1. He should become a very good player. Potential to be elite, I recall some saying he could even be the best out of last year's crop (noting a lot of players are often touted as 'the best').
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #76
Charlie played four games before dislocating his patella in the 5th.  He played primarily as a key forward and kicked 8 goals in his four full games.  He also played as a ruckman and, in one game, kicked three goals, had 11 disposals, six tackles and 18 hitouts.  I can't see him playing as a ruckman or a midfielder with us.

Charlie played as a key forward in his last five TAC games.

I think that the most relevant player comparison is with Jake Stringer.  He was supposed to be a "big bodied mid" but, as we know, has made his name as a shorter key forward.

That sort of fits with what I said DJC, the main game I saw him standing a massive on-baller it could well have been a Kreuzer type mobile ruckmen.

Sure it was against Ballarat Rebels and Curnow quickly made himself more dangerous as an attacking option rather than a minder. But it would have been early in the season and I recall Curnow wasn't fit(looked flabby, baby fat), he didn't spend long periods on the ball just short bursts then off or resting forward.

I remember this because I thought he was among the best but didn't play the next three or four games. I reckon he played early then was out, which contradicts what you have found reported. I put that down to fitness at the time, I didn't notice any injury.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
The sooner we realise the old FF,CHF, Winger, FB positions are obsolete in this game, the better we will be at not pigeonholing players to certain roles based on height weight etc.

Mid's are supposedly getting bigger and KPF's smaller. Talent, Competitiveness, disposal and decision making are what makes a good football team.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #78
The sooner we realise the old FF,CHF, Winger, FB positions are obsolete in this game, the better we will be at not pigeonholing players to certain roles based on height weight etc.

Mid's are supposedly getting bigger and KPF's smaller. Talent, Competitiveness, disposal and decision making are what makes a good football team.

Yep, footy is now a game of dynamic mobility and fast changing situations rather than the fixed positions of yesteryear. A bit like comparing blitzkrieg to trench warfare.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #79

It's not so much height and weight but reflexes, lateral movement, acceleration, core strength, etc.  And I'm not so sure KPFs are getting smaller; some of the current crop are taller than the biggest ruckmen of the last century.

I reported my conversation with Ed Curnow earlier this year in which he said that Charlie was an elite mark (and we've seen some of that).  That should overcome his (relative) lack of height and enable him to become a damaging lead up forward and KPF.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #80
Some positions are about pure nous.....Tory Dickson is no Charlie Curnow in terms of athletic ability and no Fev in terms of flair or strength. He just reads the game well like all good forwards and relies on rat cunning to get on his own and more often that not he is 20-40m in front of goal with the easy kick.
Charlie Curnow would be a waste at FF IMO in the modern game...we need a bloke with his X factor getting the ball down forward, taking the match saving mark down back or winning the big contest in the middle of the ground..like a Kouta or Bontempelli...in terms of pure talent Charlie Curnow is probably the best player on the list and we need to maximise his value not waste it...

Reply #81

Isn't this how the Doggies won the flag? Kaos theory everywhere, fast hands all the time and relentless pressure all over the ground! :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #82
Some positions are about pure nous.....Tory Dickson is no Charlie Curnow in terms of athletic ability and no Fev in terms of flair or strength. He just reads the game well like all good forwards and relies on rat cunning to get on his own and more often that not he is 20-40m in front of goal with the easy kick.
Charlie Curnow would be a waste at FF IMO in the modern game...we need a bloke with his X factor getting the ball down forward, taking the match saving mark down back or winning the big contest in the middle of the ground..like a Kouta or Bontempelli...in terms of pure talent Charlie Curnow is probably the best player on the list and we need to maximise his value not waste it...

I like the idea of Kerr out of FF, he is disciplined, will take instructions well, isn't afraid to throw around some weight and will create space for team-mates. Further he is quite strong for his size, he probably demands a better opponent than most might otherwise think.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Again I don't understand the negative posts here. For the posts complaining about a lack of forward drafting, we took three tall forwards last season. If one more person say Charlie Curnow is a midfielder i'll lose my sh1t. He moves like a forward, marks and kicks like a forward and has never played midfield in his footy career. He was going to play midfield in his last season at U18's but got injured.

*Hands raydan a bucket*

Curnowfides, is a curnow. Curnows run. Both Ed, and their sister (whose name escapes me at present) are freak athletes who run.

N. Riewoldt can outdo most mids with his running ability. He has rarely been played as a FF because to do so would waste his running ability.

Putting Curnowfides at FF is a waste.
Having him at CHF is a better option. However, i prefer him to play on a wing. N. Riewoldt has moved to a wing in the twilight of his career and is causing headaches. Richo moved to the wing in the twilight of his career and caused havoc too. One of the best games Jarrad Waite played in navy blue was when we moved him onto the wing to try and quell a rampaging Richo. He matched and beat him kicking 3 goals IIRC and the tigers had no answer for him....like most didn't with Richo.

I see Charlie more like an Everitt type. Plays better as a running player rather than a key target.

If we choose to play him forward, i don't want it to be as a key forward. SOSOS has limited options as to where he plays, but has 3rd forward nailed. Do we want Curnow to be a 4th? I'd prefer him on a wing.

Reply #84
*Hands raydan a bucket*

Curnowfides, is a curnow. Curnows run. Both Ed, and their sister (whose name escapes me at present) are freak athletes who run.

N. Riewoldt can outdo most mids with his running ability. He has rarely been played as a FF because to do so would waste his running ability.

Having him at CHF is a better option. However, i prefer him to play on a wing. N. Riewoldt has moved to a wing in the twilight of his career and is causing headaches. Richo moved to the wing in the twilight of his career and caused havoc too. One of the best games Jarrad Waite played in navy blue was when we moved him onto the wing to try and quell a rampaging Richo. He matched and beat him kicking 3 goals IIRC and the tigers had no answer for him....like most didn't with Richo.

I see Charlie more like an Everitt type. Plays better as a running player rather than a key target.

If we choose to play him forward, i don't want it to be as a key forward. SOSOS has limited options as to where he plays, but has 3rd forward nailed. Do we want Curnow to be a 4th? I'd prefer him on a wing.

Where the Bulldogs play Bontempelli I would play Charlie Curnow.....

Reply #85
*Hands raydan a bucket*

Thanks for the bucket.

Too many labels and numbers, Charlie is a forward there is no need to put a number on it. A half forward line of C.Curnow McKay and J.Silvagni is great, have the two flanks push up to the wing then run back to forward 50, Jack is more of a set it up forward, Charlie is a target forward and buckets McKay is a massive target forward. Add to that Pickett, SPS, Murphy, Wright etc and we have a solid makings of a forward line. Add a Kerr and or Ben Silvagni and we have depth, versatility and potential to be anything.

Reply #86
Again I don't understand the negative posts here. For the posts complaining about a lack of forward drafting, we took three tall forwards last season. If one more person say Charlie Curnow is a midfielder i'll lose my sh1t. He moves like a forward, marks and kicks like a forward and has never played midfield in his footy career. He was going to play midfield in his last season at U18's but got injured.

We got another tall forward this year and will get another one next season Ben Silvagni. Surely that's enough for now.

We need mids who have speed and can kick and that's what we got.

Look at the last 4 premiers, their forward lines may have some height up there but the damage is done with small flankers, and their midfield collectively on had Bontempelli a the big mid although Roughead did swing through there for Hawthorn.

I don't know how many of you looked at the draft but there wasn't much on offer for big forwards or big bodied mids. Brodie was about the only class one and there are very big questions over his ability to play two way football. SPS and Fisher are known for their defensive run

Just because he leads well, jumping high, marks well and kicks goals - what makes you say he's a forward?

Haven't you heard he has endurance? Must be a midfielder. A Koutafides if you will.

Reply #87
Just because he leads well, jumping high, marks well and kicks goals - what makes you say he's a forward?

Haven't you heard he has endurance? Must be a midfielder. A Koutafides Koutoufides if you will.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88

Haven't you heard he has endurance? Must be a midfielder. A Koutafides if you will.

When was the last time we had someone who lead well, jumped high, marked well and kick goals? :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #89
When was the last time we had someone who lead well, jumped high, marked well and kick goals? :o
Is that a trick question?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time