Skip to main content
Topic: A List with Real Potential (Read 22400 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A List with Real Potential

Reply #90
I'll beg to differ on Harry. He's the hungry for it type.....

Plenty of small forward options now too - arguably too many@!

Lamb, Sumner, Polson, LeBois, Gallucci, Pickett, Fisher, Wright (the latter more a HFF defensive forward type).

Fisher on radio explains the clubs plan for him - high half fwd / wing this year. Eventually moving into midfield.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #91
Thanks for the bucket.

Too many labels and numbers, Charlie is a forward there is no need to put a number on it. A half forward line of C.Curnow McKay and J.Silvagni is great, have the two flanks push up to the wing then run back to forward 50, Jack is more of a set it up forward, Charlie is a target forward and buckets McKay is a massive target forward. Add to that Pickett, SPS, Murphy, Wright etc and we have a solid makings of a forward line. Add a Kerr and or Ben Silvagni and we have depth, versatility and potential to be anything.

You mentioned 9 names.
One of them was our captain and premium midfielder. Yes, spend some time forward, but 90% of it in the guts.

Of the other actual 8 we have...
Wright - delisted by adelaide, won our goalkicking with a meager 22 goals. Played 116 games and a known quantity who will be solid without being outstanding. Lock him in.

From the other 7, we have
- 2 players who have played a total of 14 games between them Curnow (6) Silvagni (8)
- 4 players who have yet to actually play a game Pickett, McKay, SPS, Kerr
- 1 player who isn't even on our list yet.

So 7 players with an average of 2 games between them.

Now, plenty of potential amongst them.....but guaranteed nothing.

Don't you think all this talk of depth is a bit premature??

We counted our chickens with KP stock when we recruited Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell etc too  :-[

Reply #92
You mentioned 9 names.
One of them was our captain and premium midfielder. Yes, spend some time forward, but 90% of it in the guts.

Of the other actual 8 we have...
Wright - delisted by adelaide, won our goalkicking with a meager 22 goals. Played 116 games and a known quantity who will be solid without being outstanding. Lock him in.

From the other 7, we have
- 2 players who have played a total of 14 games between them Curnow (6) Silvagni (8)
- 4 players who have yet to actually play a game Pickett, McKay, SPS, Kerr
- 1 player who isn't even on our list yet.

So 7 players with an average of 2 games between them.

Now, plenty of potential amongst them.....but guaranteed nothing.

Don't you think all this talk of depth is a bit premature??

We counted our chickens with KP stock when we recruited Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell etc too  :-[

x2.

Early draft picks mean SFA until they can prove they can compete at the top level on a regular basis which usually takes 2-3 years. (Weiters is an exemption).

Yes our picks look likely but as Krudder points out we have been down this path before and ended up with players that were that bad we couldn't even trade them out - they were delisted and out of the game. Yet when we selected them we pencilled them in at 10 year key position players.

I like the look of Curnow but he's green, he's raw and very well 'could' be a player and yet has the same chance to simply show glimpses for the next 3-4 years but then be delisted when our patience is out....who knows. Same goes for young Silvagni. He shows some great signs but its way, way,  too early to commit to him being a regular AFL player let alone a very good one which too many on here pencil these guys in for.

McKay, Pickett, Kerr, SPS are again all hopeful of being regular AFLs players yet as it stands they are kids with hope...that's it.

This is what happens when you bottom out lose regular but ageing AFL players and go to the draft.  Its a very big unknown.

We had to do it and I think we have selected well. Time will tell now if they are worthy of the pick.

Reply #93
The thread title here says " A list full of potential" & thats exactly what we' e got.
We still have a little bit of dead wood to get rid of but no where near as much as we had.
We've got a lot of young kids on our list from the past 2 drafts and trades. From defense to attack, to speed and skill , big SoS and his cohort have added brilliantly to our club.

Its more than likely that 50% of these kids may not make it past 3 years on our list but thats AFL and how far they go is really up to them. Injury will cruel some, homesickness might get others but all I know is ..............
between Bolts and his assistants  , we seem to have a real purpose and direction. I no longer feel the "WTF are they doing" .........well no where near as much as I did anyway.

I'm really excited by our list.
They are very young and raw, but I'm really liking how the list is shaping up. Im confident that going forward, we can finally start adding to our group rather than overhauling it again................heres hoping anyway! ???

Go Blues.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!