Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 427343 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #7095
It may be as you say Thry...
But then again it may be that there is an issue with the virus affecting the memory and thought processes of some of us.

The effects of the virus are still largely not understood.
But the 'covid fog' is certainly something that is being looked at.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/what-is-covid-19-brain-fog-and-how-can-you-clear-it-2021030822076

Covid symptoms vary greatly from individual to individual
The length of symptoms also varies.

I can only go on my own experience, and a task I'd normally find realtively easy, and not one I've had trouble with before, became frustratingly complicated.

So, not wanting to be dismissive of Covid Fog, because I have only my anecdotal experiences to draw off, and even that is removed from a positive case by at least a household (most of my extended family have caught it, myself and the wife have been to the best of our knowledge covid free and very healthy over the last few years) these are the exact same things that people state to do to combat mental health issues, as well as being healthier in general:

What might help clear the brain fog?
To help clear the brain fog, I recommend pursuing all of the activities that we know help everyone’s thinking and memory.

Perform aerobic exercise. You may need to start slow, perhaps just two to three minutes a few times a day. While there is no established “dose” of exercise to improve brain health, it’s generally recommended you work toward 30 minutes a day, five days a week.
Eat Mediterranean-style meals. A healthy diet including olive oil, fruits and vegetables, nuts and beans, and whole grains has been proven to improve thinking, memory. and brain health.
Avoid alcohol and drugs. Give your brain the best chance to heal by avoiding substances which can adversely affect it.
Sleep well. Sleep is a time when the brain and body can clear out toxins and work toward healing. Make sure you give your body the sleep it needs.
Participate in social activities. We are social animals. Not only do social activities benefit our moods, but they help our thinking and memory as well.
Pursue other beneficial activities, including engaging in novel, cognitively stimulating activities; listening to music; practicing mindfulness; and keeping a positive mental attitude.

All of it very valid.  I hope only to try and challenge you to think, is this really covid fog?  Or is it simply a result of a body having fought an infection?

Id suggest the latter.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7096
Probably, you don’t want to read this right now Lods: COVID and the brain: researchers zero in on how damage occurs, Nature.
This is the part the naysayers do not get, they think it's a cold or sniffles for most people and they'll be OK, but that is just a guess based on sweeping conclusions that after the infection clears you will be back to normal.  But something like polio says hello, a rash for some, a life sentence for others!

FWIW, the it'll be OK if it doesn't kill you is the very same wrong conclusion people make about things going back to the way they were after lockdown. They are oblivious to the way the world has changed, yet it's all happened before back with the Spanish Flu. The world was a different place before and after the Spanish Flu, it's just that the social media naysayers are either ignorant of that fact or just ignore it!

Some percentage of people struggle to accept change, regardless if that change is for the better or worse, they will just always oppose change.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7097
Also, keep in mind that psychosomatic is a thing. 

If you believe it, it might be true and you might have brain fog.

from Mav's article:
Early in the pandemic, researchers speculated that the virus might cause damage by somehow entering the brain and infecting neurons, the cells responsible for transmitting and processing information. But studies have since indicated3 that the virus has difficulty getting past the brain’s defence system — the blood–brain barrier — and that it doesn’t necessarily attack neurons in any significant way.

The experts don't agree, and the data will show a variety of outcomes that will drive someone's agenda one way, but I suspect that my covid immunity might simply stem from the fact that I don't really think its that big a deal and ergo, it isnt.

Also, when I read information that is full of qualifying statements, its an assumption with minimal evidence that can somewhat be proven in some cases but not others, and usually speaks from a theory that is yet to go mainstream.  No point even worrying about it until it becomes a known known. 

So long as you still despise Collingwood and barrack for the Blues, Id suggest your brain is fine. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #7098
COVID like many other diseases always was and always will be a spectrum of illness, ranging from inconsequential to deadly.

btw., That aspect of COVID is what makes it so very hard to prevent or treat.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7101
I guess the thing I was trying to highlight was the nature (in my case ) of the memory malfucntion.
It was a specific type of task image/name matching rather than a written question.
I wonder about the issues with others.

Thry
I hope you can continue to avoid it but there may come a time when you will be infected.
If you'd asked me three days after the initial infection I would have said it's 'no biggy'.
But then other symptoms kick in.
Maybe it's all in the mind.
You'd have to experience it to understand (Not that I'd wish that on you)
Walking up the hill while waiting for the car to be serviced yesterday I had to stop a couple of times.
I feel I'm on the mend, that's but I'm nowhere near like my normal self of just a month ago.

Reply #7102
Thank you.

I specifically recall hearing countless times in dans BS daily presses how unvaccinated are a risk to the vaccinated and that’s the primary reason the unvaccinated will be alienated and locked out of majority of places. Otherwise why do that??

Same way as so many said how dangerous it is to have jones anywhere near the playing group.

Or did they forget that as well.
You are less likely to get it if you are vaccinated, you are certainly less likely to get super sick from it if you are vaccinated.
That doesn't mean it stops you getting it. It means it stops you getting it to the same extent as those not vaccinated.

There is a difference.

As we've discovered time and time again in this saga, people hear what they wanna hear and make judgement based on misunderstanding, and misinformation in most anti-vaxxers.

For the average joe out there, they don't understand how covid works, vaccines work, flattening the curve works etc etc.
This is why we have experts, so we don't need to know.

However, one person tries to paraphrase someone and 'disprove' it and that supposedly invalidates the whole argument....despite the paraphrasing missing the point.

One example of this is masks.
Wear masks and help stop the spread

Now people see that and dive into it, the virus is so small it can get through the masks....thus...masks do nothing. ITS BS!

However, that is only half the idea IMO.
1. Wear a mask can limit the distance the virus can spread through it, compared to no mask.
eg Spraying water through a flyscreen won't stop the water getting through, but it limit how far it gets.

2. The part people are oblivious too, the psychology of wearing a mask. It is a constant reminder that you need to be careful.
You see someone with a mask on and it reminds you (i need to stay 1.5m away, not shake hands etc) it reminds you that you need to sanitise your hands when you touch something etc.
So masks are working as a reminder, even if they are not working as a face force-field.

But, prove some virus can get through a mask and the whole concept of masks is BS! Only to the ignorant.

Reply #7103
You are less likely to get it if you are vaccinated, you are certainly less likely to get super sick from it if you are vaccinated.
That doesn't mean it stops you getting it. It means it stops you getting it to the same extent as those not vaccinated.

There is a difference.

As we've discovered time and time again in this saga, people hear what they wanna hear and make judgement based on misunderstanding, and misinformation in most anti-vaxxers.

For the average joe out there, they don't understand how covid works, vaccines work, flattening the curve works etc etc.
This is why we have experts, so we don't need to know.

However, one person tries to paraphrase someone and 'disprove' it and that supposedly invalidates the whole argument....despite the paraphrasing missing the point.

One example of this is masks.
Wear masks and help stop the spread

Now people see that and dive into it, the virus is so small it can get through the masks....thus...masks do nothing. ITS BS!

However, that is only half the idea IMO.
1. Wear a mask can limit the distance the virus can spread through it, compared to no mask.
eg Spraying water through a flyscreen won't stop the water getting through, but it limit how far it gets.

2. The part people are oblivious too, the psychology of wearing a mask. It is a constant reminder that you need to be careful.
You see someone with a mask on and it reminds you (i need to stay 1.5m away, not shake hands etc) it reminds you that you need to sanitise your hands when you touch something etc.
So masks are working as a reminder, even if they are not working as a face force-field.

But, prove some virus can get through a mask and the whole concept of masks is BS! Only to the ignorant.

More to the point “Only to the really, really intelligent” because they believe they are smarter than experts in the field.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #7105
Actually the public use masks horrendously, because the disposables most of us wear are only fully effective when they are dry and fresh, that is why in a medical setting they are often changed multiple times per day.

It's all about attracting or repelling fluids, for the techno speak it's hydrophobic(water repel) or hydrophilic(water attract). The little viruses / particles need conditions to be just right to float or move about, too dry and they get stuck, too wet and they get bogged, they want things just right like Little Red Riding Hood.

Now too wet isn't an option for masks, because the level of too wet needed to stop the virus will also stop you breathing. So too dry is the only viable option, but with every exhalation we make the mask a little more wet, and at some point the mask goes from being too dry to just right. At that time the virus slides over the fibres like butter on hot teflon, wraps itself in a little moisture packet, and gets fired at the next available passer-by with every sledge or expletive spoken, like a little viral bullet.

However, lucky for us one other aspect of a mask still keeps working, even when conditions have become just right for a virus a mask stops us firing out bigger particles, bigger heavier particles can travel further than small particles, bigger particles evaporate slower than small particles. Using a mask and restricting the particle size diminishes the chances of infecting somebody else, and to a lesser effect reduces your own chance of being infected.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7106
I guess the thing I was trying to highlight was the nature (in my case ) of the memory malfucntion.
It was a specific type of task image/name matching rather than a written question.

Thry
I hope you can continue to avoid it but there may come a time when you will be infected.
If you'd asked me three days after the initial infection I would have said it's 'no biggy'.
Walking up the hill while waiting for the car to be serviced yesterday I had to stop a couple of times.
I feel I'm on the mend, that's but I'm nowhere near like my normal self of just a month ago.

Cheers LODS.

I made my peace of when not if when i committed to taking PT to work.

I hope you feel better soon.  Don't take my posts as being dismissive of anything.  I don't know any different, but I take a lot of heart from cancer survivors, who have made it all about mentality, confidence and positivity.

It doesn't change their plight though, and that they are in the life and death battle of their lives, and will likely eventually succumb, but if you can stick your finger up at it along the way it might actually help you feel better and as a consequence beat it.  We don't need to look too far to find that example.  As far as Im concerned he is still one of our captains. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #7107
Actually the public use masks horrendously, because the disposables most of us wear are only fully effective when they are dry and fresh, that is why in a medical setting they are often changed multiple times per day.

It's all about attracting or repelling fluids, for the techno speak it's hydrophobic(water repel) or hydrophilic(water attract). The little viruses / particles need conditions to be just right to float or move about, too dry and they get stuck, too wet and they get bogged, they want things just right like Little Red Riding Hood.

Now too wet isn't an option for masks, because the level of too wet needed to stop the virus will also stop you breathing. So too dry is the only viable option, but with every exhalation we make the mask a little more wet, and at some point the mask goes from being too dry to just right. At that time the virus slides over the fibres like butter on hot teflon, wrap itself in a little moisture packet, and get fired at the next available passer-by with every sledge or expletive spoken, like a little viral bullet.

However, lucky for us one other aspect of a mask still keeps working, even when conditions have become just right for a virus a mask stops us firing out bigger particles, bigger heavier particles can travel further than small particles, bigger particles evaporate slower than small particles. Using a mask and restricting the particle size diminishes the chances of infecting somebody else, and to a lesser effect reduces your own chance of being infected.
Correct, Hospital staff change masks on a regular basis because they get soggy and are a flytrap for bacteria and anything else floating around and its an issue in the community because most people dont change their masks but just leave them hanging on the mirror or dashboard to dry out and then re-wear them usually until the elastic straps break.
As most who have visited private hospitals, rehabs and nursing home settings will find they make you put on a fresh mask at the door when you enter, well at least the well run ones do......

Reply #7108
I don't disagree with this, or anything you wrote. Seeing some karens cut holes in their masks so they can sip straws or breath better is evidence of even worse behaviour. But rather bog people down with science, which these types of people can not, or do not understand, i offered an alternative 'working' that they provide.

The whole thing is just an example of fixating on one point is completely missing others. Which is what the majority of anti-vaxers and anti-establishment (eg anti-dan) continue to do.

Reply #7109

Thry

Sure do relate to this, Principal LODS.

Recently I wrote here, like any self-respecting smarty pants, that I'd had Covid a while back and the symptoms were pretty mild, which was true. Then I got the seasonal flu, which floored me for about 5 days. Red hot razor blades in the throat when coughing. Then a week later (last week)... Covid struck again, obviously due to lowered immunity due to flu, this time nothing mild about it. Not bad enough to go to the doc or hospital, but debilitating and still, mmm... how do I put this without being gross... clearing unpleasantly coloured debris from the shnozzle. Like a bad cold now.... stuffy head, mild temperature etc. So my thoughts are with you esteemed friend, I haven't ventured for a long walk as yet! I hope your recovery speeds up and is complete.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17