Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 9550 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #90
I have to wonder if Newman is closer to a return than publicised as well.

The more rumours the better, keep the Filth confused!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Would you make changes on the back of last week?

Everyone played about as well as could be expected, and I wouldnt be upsetting the applecart overly.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #92
Would you make changes on the back of last week?

Everyone played about as well as could be expected, and I wouldnt be upsetting the applecart overly.

I think if fit Cerra will 100% come in. As to who for i guess it will be out of Stocker, LOB or Setterfield. Personally I would keep Stocker in and because of a bigger body of work I would pick LOB over Setterfield even thought he was probably better then LOB based on last week alone.

The other one is Williams but this one seems a much bigger risk. Still if he is fit i would play him for Stocker but this one makes me a little nervous cause we dont want another early sub activation because this game will be very hot especially early on.  

Reply #93
True, but I've mentioned before I think that level of intensity in that style game is not really sustainable, and we've yet to demonstrate a reliable implementation of tempo control. This is where the Handbaggers have an edge, to some degree the Dees get away with it because of list depth in certain positions, much like Nthmond did with it's glory run of injury free seasons.

A few times we have played a good portion of the game in that style, whether it was a win or loss, we've been smashed the following week. It's a game style and intensity that comes at a cost.

Voss played like that, week in and week out, but he was extraordinary player so it's hard to see a wider list meeting that same level of expectation.

Have a look at the Filth's last two weeks, defeated Melbourne in a close game fought to the death, got smashed by the Swans the week after.

So would I bring in some fresh legs if they are available, quite possibly, but they better be ready for finals level intensity. There will be no cruising back into the flow or tempo of play this week!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Did you think our small forwards somewhat disorganised last week, particularly earlier in the game?  They were competing well, but several times three or more were fighting for the ball and getting in one another's way.         
Perhaps we need to go with one less small forward.

cheers Ab

Reply #95
Did you think our small forwards somewhat disorganised last week, particularly earlier in the game?  They were competing well, but several times three or more were fighting for the ball and getting in one another's way.         
Perhaps we need to go with one less small forward.

cheers Ab
I think having a contiguous run of games is everything, it's wrong for fans to think players can manage their way through an AFL game, the decisions and actions have to be instinctive. There is no time to think and even less time to communicate.

For example, I can understand why the club seemingly brought Pitto back early, he needed that run, perhaps also McGovern a week early but he had an impact immediately.

The problem is losing last week means this week isn't a game we can afford to be running somebody into form. It would have been nice to win last week, and give guys like Cerra, Newman, Hewett and low pressure run before finals, but it didn't eventuate.

If the Dogs happen to lose or look like they are about to lose on Sunday afternoon, in the game before ours, do not be at all surprised to see a host of late changes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
I think if fit Cerra will 100% come in. As to who for i guess it will be out of Stocker, LOB or Setterfield. Personally I would keep Stocker in and because of a bigger body of work I would pick LOB over Setterfield even thought he was probably better then LOB based on last week alone.

The other one is Williams but this one seems a much bigger risk. Still if he is fit i would play him for Stocker but this one makes me a little nervous cause we dont want another early sub activation because this game will be very hot especially early on.  

Collingwood play a good contested pressure game where they make up for a lack of talent with extra effort and hard running.  I dont fancy a player like Williams who is suspect in those areas coming in cold with no match fitness. He has Achilles issues and wasnt known for his endurance at GWS and imho the sub role would suit him better where if he did have to come on it would more likely be a short burst rather than having to run out a full game vs opposition who are going to be going hard for 100mins.
I just dont understand why Stocker is the player most likely to be left out and see more upside in him than Williams and would want him getting the big game experience for the future.

Reply #97
Collingwood play a good contested pressure game where they make up for a lack of talent with extra effort and hard running.  I dont fancy a player like Williams who is suspect in those areas coming in cold with no match fitness. He has Achilles issues and wasnt known for his endurance at GWS and imho the sub role would suit him better where if he did have to come on it would more likely be a short burst rather than having to run out a full game vs opposition who are going to be going hard for 100mins.
I just dont understand why Stocker is the player most likely to be left out and see more upside in him than Williams and would want him getting the big game experience for the future.

Only place I would be shuffling the magnets for next week:

Dow dropped.

Cerra/williams sub.  We drop someone who hasnt really set the world on fire, and have a potential game changer in the sub instead.

Newnes is my next weakest link.  He has developed the fumbles this year and its costing us in contested situations.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #98
Could we give Motlop a rest this week, and play Williams or Stocker as defensive forwards?

I think if Williams comes in, it's probably going to be at the expense of LoB or Newnes, I don't get why fans always discuss Stocker in this regard. As much as I like LoB's run, tackling pressure probably means more against the Filth than covering the ground, we can't have a guy like Sidebottom free-wheeling again.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100

I like stocker I rate him ae a young player who could be a 200 game player for us but he has limitation's at the moment.  I watched him very closely last week and while his first efforts are great if a passage of play requires repeat efforts he just can’t do it and his player rans off him and it happened several times on Saturday especially early in the game which tell you even more. Bradshaw burned him off many times and would take the ball with stocker on his tail and then get a 1-2 handball back and stocker was 5 metres behind and it wasn’t for stockers lack of effort it’s his fitness base and tank it’s just not there atm. People saying he should play midfield are kidding themself. He is a tough nut goes in without fear which I love but against the Pies who as you rightly say ran harder then most do he will be found out again and we can’t afford to give those pr1cks any easy transition of the ball. 

Reply #101
I like stocker I rate him ae a young player who could be a 200 game player for us but he has limitation's at the moment.  I watched him very closely last week and while his first efforts are great if a passage of play requires repeat efforts he just can’t do it and his player rans off him and it happened several times on Saturday especially early in the game which tell you even more.
Yeah, but he is not on his Pat Malone in this regard, again I repeat this, some of what happens on the D50 end of the ground is a consequence of structures and selections at the F50 end. Fans want us picking young Motlop, but his selection comes at a cost, he is way off being a deep runner like Durdin or Owies, and it only takes one to make the outnumbered scenario happen.

You play the "keepings off" game, it's like giving the opposition an on field YoYo test, then the moment you detect someone in the the opposition dropping off you all press forward and will have an extra number, it makes you almost impossible to stop. What fans see when opponents do this to us is someone like a Plowman or Newman being outnumbered at the other end of the ground, and they pay out on the poor bastard for failing to better 2 or 3 opponents, or for not being able to plug all the gaps.

In this regard I'm not sure we can have Motlop, SoJ and Martin all F50 and still find a winning formula. The problem isn't Durdin and Owies, they are mobile enough and fast enough to keep up with and even get ahead of play.

btw., I'm not anti-Motlop, it's just he has got a lot to learn and a long way to go. Owies is way ahead of both Durdin and Motlop, structurally he manages himself around the ground much much better than the others, even if he lacks the same level of raw talent. Owies won't b0rk up our own open space, drag opponents to the contest or fly against Charlie and BigH, and he runs as strongly as defensively as any player on the ground. Owies is not as good at crumbing, but he will always work hard both ways, he understands team sport.

Durdin is a good runner, but he is not as effect defensively as Owies, I'd say Durdin is the best purely attacking SF we have at the moment.

Motlop has all the tricks, but he is not fast and he might not get to where he is needed, or he gets in the way. He is miles off being a deep defensive runner, it is not natural for him to chase when he is not near goal, he tends to stop momentarily and at that time he can no longer close the gap. But he is just a kid, so you cut him some slack, but the question is can you afford to carry him when things aren't going your way?

Go back and watch Pickett from last weekend, in one moment he's tackling on the Dee's HBF, then seconds later he is crumbing in the FP. That is what AFL is all about.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
coll lack of talent is so way off the mark ,daicos by 2,cripps,maynard,sidey,pendles,crisp,maynard 8 top players there,just hope they have a bad game sunday ,we need to bring pressure and tackling to another level.

Reply #103
coll lack of talent is so way off the mark ,daicos by 2,cripps,maynard,sidey,pendles,crisp,maynard 8 top players there,just hope they have a bad game sunday ,we need to bring pressure and tackling to another level.

They couldn't find space on that primary school ground they played on last week. Expect the side that beat Melbourne the week before to turn up.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #104
Sidebottom and Pendlebury are still handy but probably only have another year, Cripps plays for us(i know typo on your part ;)) , Maynard is a very good player, Crisp is also very good but without Grundy and Adams I think they run a bit thin for  real class with the exception of the Daicos kids who are chips off the old block(Peter) and the Pies got very lucky that both brothers appear class acts with 200 games plus ahead of them each.
I just think we run a bit deeper talent wise as do a lot of the other top teams compared to the Pies but Macrae has made up the difference with his ability to inspire a non stop work ethic and they dont give in easy.
If we match their effort then we win imho..........