Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 9404 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #45
There was a passage of play against Melbourne, where McGovern grabbed it off half back, ran ten metres, and then torped it to Charlies advantage goal side which caught Melbourne in no mans land.  We didnt capitalise, but thats the sort of stuff that Williams can do when in the team.

It also means that him and Saad can attack in waves, leaving Docherty to focus on more defensive duties, and his departure from the team coincided with yet another dip in output in the rest of the 22.

Given our current sub is Dow and Dow hasnt really had much of an impact, I would be comfortable for Williams to come in as a sub, because in finals, Williams is another one of those players that makes the rest better, and can turn a game on his own. 

Williams can do that, and it makes me think that we want him as a replacement for someone who can do that too.....Saad.

Saad has been dragging himself through games, repeatedly limping around seemingly every week. Taken hits to the ribs which have floored him for extended times too. Maybe he won't get up this week?

Alternatively, who do we drop....Stocker?

Reply #46
My biggest worry is the last qtr, being, say, 3 goals up at 3 qtr time then inexperience causing us to s hit the bed. Other than that I am confident.

Reply #47
Problem for me with Williams is he is very loose and I wouldnt want him on anyone decent eg Elliott,.....I think Stocker seems to be the fall guy though if Williams plays as he gets dropped for seemingly no reason. I'd leave Docherty in the middle, was very good vs Melbourne imho. I'd stick with Stocker and make Williams the sub if he has to be played......

Reply #48
Problem for me with Williams is he is very loose and I wouldnt want him on anyone decent eg Elliott,.....I think Stocker seems to be the fall guy though if Williams plays as he gets dropped for seemingly no reason. I'd leave Docherty in the middle, was very good vs Melbourne imho. I'd stick with Stocker and make Williams the sub if he has to be played......
I see Williams and Saad as very similar game style, I think Williams has Saad covered for ball use but not necessarily for decision making. Saad can hit some targets but his run and carry is pretty predictable and good sides force him to turn onto the wrong side diminishing his influence. But Saad is much better at getting back and defending, he can close more ground than Williams, so Saad is less likely to be caught out on the turnover.

I think Williams is better when working on the inside than Saad, and Williams is a genuine midfield/traffic option despite what fans think.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Given the way our season has gone, I can see Charlie getting pipped in the Coleman in the last round. Geelong have West Coast at Kardinia Park....Cameron and Hawkins will be licking their lips at the prospect of a big bag each. West Coast, apart from a bit of rough and tough stuff early in the Derby, have put the white flag up and wouldn't surprise to see a few senior players "managed" this week too.

Reply #50
Given the way our season has gone, I can see Charlie getting pipped in the Coleman in the last round. Geelong have West Coast at Kardinia Park....Cameron and Hawkins will be licking their lips at the prospect of a big bag each. West Coast, apart from a bit of rough and tough stuff early in the Derby, have put the white flag up and wouldn't surprise to see a few senior players "managed" this week too.
I had that thought post game. When i saw Charlie kicked 1.4, i checked the coleman ladder and then the fixture to see who the cats were playing.

Charlie is due for a big week, he couldn't possibly need more motivation both personally and for the team. Lets hope he comes out and smashes it for everyone involved!

Reply #51
I had that thought post game. When i saw Charlie kicked 1.4, i checked the coleman ladder and then the fixture to see who the cats were playing.

Charlie is due for a big week, he couldn't possibly need more motivation both personally and for the team. Lets hope he comes out and smashes it for everyone involved!
Things might not evolve as fans think, do not be surprised if Scott rests a few players in the last round.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
I see Williams and Saad as very similar game style, I think Williams has Saad covered for ball use but not necessarily for decision making. Saad can hit some targets but his run and carry is pretty predictable and good sides force him to turn onto the wrong side diminishing his influence. But Saad is much better at getting back and defending, he can close more ground than Williams, so Saad is less likely to be caught out on the turnover.

I think Williams is better when working on the inside than Saad, and Williams is a genuine midfield/traffic option despite what fans think.

I think Saad is one of the few complete defenders going around, most of the time he gets the balance of defending and attacking right and his disposal is a feature with his ability to find players with a hook kick or find a gap between opposing players and hit his man up a feature. He got burnt vs Adelaide and punished for letting Keays out the back but thats not the norm and its up to the coach and other players to help him out if you want his attacking ways to continue.
For me Williams is a liability with the ball at times and I'd also question his attack on the ball and ability to make decisions about when to attack, time his runs etc. When he gets it right he looks very good but I have also seen him in no mans land, caught out and miles from his opponent and not even chasing. To me he is a poor mans version of Saad and I would struggle to find a place in our best 22 for him with everyone fit..

Reply #53
Williams can do that, and it makes me think that we want him as a replacement for someone who can do that too.....Saad.

Saad has been dragging himself through games, repeatedly limping around seemingly every week. Taken hits to the ribs which have floored him for extended times too. Maybe he won't get up this week?

Alternatively, who do we drop....Stocker?

Spot on imo, Saad is in doubt.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
Ahh the tension as the game gets closer.... dont remember the last time I felt like that. I guess we are not irrelevant anymore.

Just dreaming what we can do with a full healthy list.
After much deliberation, fark it I have decided to go on Sunday. Elimination finals start 1 week early so Ill be there.
Go Blues, down the Filth.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55

Can't wait for the week that H and Charles click on the same day. Lazy 10 between them a real possibility.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56
I guess we trust the match committee and medical staff but massive risk bringing Williams in after so long out....especially with that injury and his history. Would wanna make sure we've got the perfect substitute in place, if there is such a thing. If he comes in, then maybe one of Stocker or Newnes go out.

If Cerra is fit, I'd be leaving out one of Owies or Motlop.....not sure we can carry all of Owies, Motlop and Durdin?

Silvagni will struggle against the height of Cox when he's rucking but back him in to do more than Cox when the ball hits the ground....that probably means TDK stays out.

Reply #57
I guess we trust the match committee and medical staff but massive risk bringing Williams in after so long out....especially with that injury and his history. Would wanna make sure we've got the perfect substitute in place, if there is such a thing. If he comes in, then maybe one of Stocker or Newnes go out.

If Cerra is fit, I'd be leaving out one of Owies or Motlop.....not sure we can carry all of Owies, Motlop and Durdin?

Silvagni will struggle against the height of Cox when he's rucking but back him in to do more than Cox when the ball hits the ground....that probably means TDK stays out.

100% agree on small forwards - but think Durdin is a lock of the three. Not sure what Voss and team will do this weekend but moved the board magnets around beautifully with Doc and Setters in the middle. Expect more of the same this week too.

Reply #58
Can’t believe anybody could be contemplating dropping Stocker to accommodate Williams who hasn’t done a thing since he arrived at Ikon. Don’t think Voss will be that silly and he’ll need to earn the right to rejoin the team through the VFL.

Stocker was excellent against the Dees and provides some much needed hardness  to our side.

Reply #59
Can’t believe anybody could be contemplating dropping Stocker to accommodate Williams who hasn’t done a thing since he arrived at Ikon. Don’t think Voss will be that silly and he’ll need to earn the right to rejoin the team through the VFL.

Stocker was excellent against the Dees and provides some much needed hardness  to our side.

That's how I see it, Stocker will exit the club if we keep dropping him without proper reason. He is one of our tougher players and we need him in the 22 imo.
Williams needs VFL games and doesn't deserve a free pass into the seniors as he doesn't have the runs on the board to be classed as an automatic selection.