Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps Charged by MRO (Read 3807 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cripps Charged by MRO

Reply #15
Martin, Bontempelli, Fyfe, Cunnington, Mitchell, Cogs, Whitfield, Neale etc all deal with tagging and don't need a Royal Commission to deal with it. If Cripps used his size and strength more he wouldn't have lightweights like Anderson shoving him about. Pittonet does need to do more as do Cripps teammates but it does get back to Cripps imposing himself physically and leading from the front. Have been pleased with Walsh who does have a go back at players who try it on with him and it will set him up for the future and he won't end up an easy target.

And all of those players deal with taggers without resorting to ironing them out.

One of Crippa’s strengths is his strength and he is trying to rely on that to beat the tag.  However, by initiating and maintaining contact, he is often out of the contest and playing into his tagger’s hands.

Other tagged players have a variety of tactics but they often involve greater defensive effort, working harder, keeping on the move, exploiting height, speed, endurance, etc advantage, going to another opposition player to free up their opponent, etc. 

Wrestling with the tagger at stoppages isn’t the answer and neither is being switched to full forward.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
And all of those players deal with taggers without resorting to ironing them out.

One of Crippa’s strengths is his strength and he is trying to rely on that to beat the tag.  However, by initiating and maintaining contact, he is often out of the contest and playing into his tagger’s hands.

Other tagged players have a variety of tactics but they often involve greater defensive effort, working harder, keeping on the move, exploiting height, speed, endurance, etc advantage, going to another opposition player to free up their opponent, etc. 

Wrestling with the tagger at stoppages isn’t the answer and neither is being switched to full forward.

Half of those mentioned punch on and wrestle, Martin and Cunnington won't tolerate being manhandled and get more respect imo.
Cripps strength is over hyped... Jack Steele the past three games has Cripps covered and the skipper couldn't move him. Having the 179cm, 81kg Anderson restraining him tells you he has to do better, he looks lighter imo and isn't able to muscle his way through those holds. The old Cripps was stronger imo, prefer him more bulked up...

Reply #17
The difference is that Cripps grapples with the tagger making it easier for the tagger to keep him out of the contest and harder for umpires to pay frees.  Martin and others give their taggers a shove, then head off with a couple of metres’ space.  Cripps is more than strong enough to deal with any tagger, he just needs to learn how best to use that strength.

Of course, the best way to deal with a tagger is to make it a team priority to break the tag(s).  Our coaches must have missed the memo.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Of course, the best way to deal with a tagger is to make it a team priority to break the tag(s).  Our coaches must have missed the memo.
 We are winning the clearances, but it comes at a cost of maybe not having Cripps always front and centre.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
We are winning the clearances, but it comes at a cost of maybe not having Cripps always front and centre.

Very true LP, and it's great to see Setters, Walsh, Kennedy, etc stepping up.  However, we are missing Crippa's creative ball use.

Reply #20
I think we should probably ask Cripps to get into more deep F50 stoppages, and let their blockers and taggers run the risk!

That leaves our other mids to hang back outside of F50 and push towards the D50 end. Often Cripps is patrolling the F50 arc, and guys like Curnow, Kennedy and Setterfield push deeper into F50, I suppose that is because of Cripps height. But it might be missing a trick, I concede it's a pluses and minuses argument.

Good luck to the opposition at a deep F50 stoppage, Cripps can just go the ball making sure those hanging onto him get fully noticed! It won't take Betts and Martin long to switch onto the fact opposition around Cripps are being reactive and breaking the rules, our small forwards will feast on the oppositions reflex actions! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
I think we should probably ask Cripps to get into more deep F50 stoppages, and let their blockers and taggers run the risk!

That leaves our others to hang back outside of F50 and push to the D50 end. Often Cripps is patrolling the F50 arc, and guys like Kennedy and Setterfield push deeper, I suppose that is because of Cripps height. But it might be missing a trick, I concede it's a pluses and minuses argument.

Good luck to the opposition at a deep F50 stoppage, Cripps can just go the ball making sure those hanging onto him get fully noticed! It won't take Betts and Martin long to switch onto the fact opposition around Cripps are being reactive and breaking the rules, they'll feast on the reflex actions! ;)

Surely that’s what he should be doing at all stoppages?  Once he grapples with his opponent, holding the man is not an option.

Reply #22
Maybe we should move Murphy into the centre to become "The Enforcer"...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #23
Surely that’s what he should be doing at all stoppages?  Once he grapples with his opponent, holding the man is not an option.
It easier said than done, these taggers are coached in ways of putting an opponent off-balance or disrupting an opponents focus. Not just coached in general techniques, but coached specific techniques for a specific opponent. They build up whole dossiers on players, what sets them off, what doesn't work, what does work.

Also, as fans watching, we must not assume Cripps holding someone isn't part of the plan. I know that seems hard to believe, but it's possible.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Maybe we should move Murphy into the centre to become "The Enforcer"...
He'd do a better job than your or I, how many AFL games have we played combined?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
It easier said than done, these taggers are coached in ways of putting an opponent off-balance or disrupting an opponents focus. Not just coached in general techniques, but coached specific techniques for a specific opponent. They build up whole dossiers on players, what sets them off, what doesn't work, what does work.

Also, as fans watching, we must not assume Cripps holding someone isn't part of the plan. I know that seems hard to believe, but it's possible.
Anderson is a midget and lightweight compared to Cripps....Dusty would have just pushed him over with ease, ditto the Bont, Fyfe etc...if Cripps cant impose himself then the midfield/stoppage coach needs to get more inventive and get his teammates more involved and plan to free him up more.

Reply #26
I agree EB.  He needs to develop (or the coach does) an easier method to "dissuade" the attention.  Precisely why we need a solid mid. 

Reply #27
He'd do a better job than your or I, how many AFL games have we played combined?
It's a joke, Joyce...

Somebody need a hug??
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #28
It's a joke, Joyce...

Somebody need a hug??
No, you?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
No, you?

I could do with one  ... but then I live next door to a winery that can’t open  :(

Cripps was tagged by Polec in the first quarter and he exploited Polec’s lack of size and inexperience.  Anderson took up the challenge from quarter time but Shaw obviously instructed his mids to double team Cripps whenever they could. Anderson’s job was made easier because Cripps initiated grappling but the second player helping out played into our hands and we won the clearances quite comfortably. 

Having your tagged mid go to a second opposition player is a classic tactic but I suspect that the outcome was fortuitous rather than planned - particularly when Kennedy is one of the beneficiaries and he can’t kick over a jam tin and North were desperate to get that second player to tangle with Cripps.