Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67398 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #210
Pacy mids more important than pacy forwards....

And top quality, established mids at that.

We need 2. Fast!

Let's settle on pace is pace all over the ground as the way current players cluster around the ball forwards play equal time in defence!! Our inability to get free possession out of the contested area is a massive concern. We have Cripps and recruited Kennedy for this, but no one to run and carry it fwd. A Shiel type for me is a massive requirement.
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #211
We do have Fisher (finding his feet quickly), Lang (should be in the 1s next week), SPS (presently on holidays), Garlett (needs to get involved more but oozes class) and Pickett (cursed) to provide outside run....

But they're (other than Lang) something of a WIP?

And yes, if SOS can snare Shiel, bloody fantastic.

Indeed, whilst contracted to the end of 2019, don't be surprised to see this bloke in a Blues' jumper next season.  ;) :o

Would i swap a #1 pick or similar for Shiel? Every day of the week. Ditto Kelly for that matter.

A risk vs a known quantity... no brainer.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #212
We do have Fisher (finding his feet quickly), Lang (should be in the 1s next week), SPS (presently on holidays), Garlett (needs to get involved more but oozes class) and Pickett (cursed) to provide outside run....

But they're (other than Lang) something of a WIP?

And yes, if SOS can snare Shiel, bloody fantastic.

Indeed, whilst contracted to the end of 2019, don't be surprised to see this bloke in a Blues' jumper next season.  ;) :o

Would i swap a #1 pick or similar for Shiel? Every day of the week. Ditto Kelly for that matter.

A risk vs a known quantity... no brainer.

No low picks traded for mids, if we are to trade a low pick it has to be for a mature, durable and proven KPF to bridge the gap between the current youth and the next 3 or 4 years.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #213
You really think Lynch (GC Lynch) would make more difference than a Dylan Shiel to our team?

Your dreamin'  ::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #214
You really think Lynch (GC Lynch) would make more difference than a Dylan Shiel to our team?

Hard to argue either case to be honest as we could use both.

Anyone saying no to either is gilding the lilly slightly.

Reminder, Richmond recruited 3 players in the season prior to winning a flag:

An inside hard nut in Prestia.

A workman who can hurt you on the outside but play a tough accountable role in Caddy.

A ruckman who is in the prime of his career in Nankervis.

They didnt do one or the other.  They identified a few targets and landed them all.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #215

We are far more deficient in KPF role models and leaders than in our midfield, in the mdifield we can see the rise of Fisher, alongside Cripps and others. It's no accident the club want Cripps to push forward, which robs Peter to pay Paul!

In my opinion our young tall KPFs are still some years off being reliable, consistent and competitive, I suspect at least 3 or 4 years based on the progress of other AFL talls. They typically come good in their 4th or 5th season, that is playing season not years on the list! Typically guys 25 or 26 are entering the performance zone. Most AFL talls are on a list for a season or two before they get a run at AFL level!

Our young mids with more games under their wing will sort itself out within a season or two at most. Fisher, Pickett, SPS, O'Brien and Dow will sort itself out within another season or two, guys age 22 or 23 are entering the performance zone.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #216
Hard to argue either case to be honest as we could use both.

Anyone saying no to either is gilding the lilly slightly.

Reminder, Richmond recruited 3 players in the season prior to winning a flag:

An inside hard nut in Prestia.

A workman who can hurt you on the outside but play a tough accountable role in Caddy.

A ruckman who is in the prime of his career in Nankervis.

They didnt do one or the other.  They identified a few targets and landed them all.

I'd call those three the finishing touch to their list, Shiel is more of a core player like Martin or Cotchin IMO...
Caddy has been the real surprise...tough ,intimidating and a goal kicker, exactly what we need and very hard to obtain....

Reply #218
We are far more deficient in KPF role models and leaders than in our midfield, in the mdifield we can see the rise of Fisher, alongside Cripps and others. It's no accident the club want Cripps to push forward, which robs Peter to pay Paul!

In my opinion our young tall KPFs are still some years off being reliable, consistent and competitive, I suspect at least 3 or 4 years based on the progress of other AFL talls. They typically come good in their 4th or 5th season, that is playing season not years on the list! Typically guys 25 or 26 are entering the performance zone. Most AFL talls are on a list for a season or two before they get a run at AFL level!

Our young mids with more games under their wing will sort itself out within a season or two at most. Fisher, Pickett, SPS, O'Brien and Dow will sort itself out within another season or two, guys age 22 or 23 are entering the performance zone.

Get the midfield dominant, the goals come as a result....

Not the other way round.....  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #219
Get the midfield dominant, the goals come as a result....

Not the other way round.....  :o

The midfield is already sorted, it just needs the time and stability, any reasonable person can see that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #220
I'd call those three the finishing touch to their list, Shiel is more of a core player like Martin or Cotchin IMO...
Caddy has been the real surprise...tough ,intimidating and a goal kicker, exactly what we need and very hard to obtain....

No doubt EB1, thats why I am stating it shouldnt be an either argument, but BOTH and a bonus of as many others as we can.

We should be looking at more types who are surplus to requirements and looking to extend their careers somewhat.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #221
No doubt EB1, thats why I am stating it shouldnt be an either argument, but BOTH and a bonus of as many others as we can.

We should be looking at more types who are surplus to requirements and looking to extend their careers somewhat.

We wanted Caddy for this very reason, but I'm not sure he'd prove durable in our side, it's much easier to do this alongside Dusty and Cotch than to try it solo!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #222
Bartel makes a good point, who'd have thunk we need a mature experienced proven KPF! ::)

Tom Lynch wouldn't do you much good sitting in forward 50 catching a cold with the ball not getting down there. Bartel's point came across as if he was making it up on the spot which is why it was probably so poorly thought out.

Gaff / Dalhouse / Sloane / etc. are absolutely who we should be targeting. If you have more than 2 or 3 tall forwards you can't fit them all in your team and you can survive with only 1 - as Richmond have shown.

If you have 10+ midfielders you can definitely fit them in your team. We start a game with 3 guys carrying legitimate credentials as midfielders. The opposition have 13. That is where we're getting slaughtered and where we need so much more quality.

We are patiently waiting for the kids to mature and we will continue to do so but we need to load up from other clubs - in the midfield.

Reply #223
Tom Lynch wouldn't do you much good sitting in forward 50 catching a cold with the ball not getting down there. Bartel's point came across as if he was making it up on the spot which is why it was probably so poorly thought out.

So far this season the Inside Fifty difference between the top and bottom is not that great, but we are by far the worst team at turning an entry into a goal, we are dead last on the table the scoring efficiency, which is reflected by our low standing for goals and goal assists!

We have about 80% of the top teams Inside Fifties, but only 60% of their goals and 50% of their goal assists.

Tom Lynch or any other useful tall forward would get at least 80% of the opportunities that are delivered by the top teams.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #224
We're woefully deficient in midfielders, and will remain that way for 2-3 years unless we bring in some ready mades