Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match (Read 19007 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match

Reply #15
I wasn't that impressed with Newnes so far, he looked to be going 100% or at least close to his limit in a game that seemed to have opposition going at half rat power.

But I'm not putting much stock in pre-season stuff, it's like dancing with your sister!
Newnes has proven he is good for 20 possies a game @decent DE% over 150 games so I would expect him to improve with every game. Richmond is a hard ask first up given their depth of talent and he might get a more negative role on a player like Edwards so his stats might not be so flash to begin with but I think he will end up a regular player for most of the season.
Its going to be interesting to see the game plan vs Richmond...will it be a shootout or a defensive squeeze where some attacking players are forced to be a bit more responsible and be mindful of the opposition.
eg someone will have to be accountable for a player like Houli, he cant be getting 30 possies and generating the drive he does
from halfback especially on the switch when we turn it over usually by a dumb extra disposal or long bomb to nothing.

Reply #16
Final side for Sunday announced, with emergencies announced of: Cuningham, Kennedy, Pittonet and Willo.

I guess Polson's speed gets him a nod.

Surprised Willo named as an emergency, he wasn't the only one below par last week but he didn't look himself - could be still working his way into regaining touch (though the first qtr against Rottingwood he looked great!).

Why the hell we gave Cuningham an extended contract is beyond me - the Cameo King.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
Loins refuse to give CEY a game until he earns his chance.

While we persist with Lang Polson Dekoning and Dow.  And can add in Kennedy and Cunningham’s for blokes that have had too many chances and extended contracts when form didn’t warrant it. I rate Cunningham but how long do you wait. The bloke is now in his 5th season.

Loins are where we should be yet we are miles off and we started our rebuild a year earlier. Go figure.

Reply #18
Final side for Sunday announced, with emergencies announced of: Cuningham, Kennedy, Pittonet and Willo.

I guess Polson's speed gets him a nod.

Surprised Willo named as an emergency, he wasn't the only one below par last week but he didn't look himself - could be still working his way into regaining touch (though the first qtr against Rottingwood he looked great!).

Why the hell we gave Cuningham an extended contract is beyond me - the Cameo King.

PS Seems we have two threads the same here... this one and a Blues V Lions... perhaps a merge?

Reply #19
PS Seems we have two threads the same here... this one and a Blues V Lions... perhaps a merge?
You're not allowed(socially) to have a thread on here were the opposition get named first, even if it's our away game. They've corrected me several times, and so that critical piece of information gets discarded.

I don't think some of the youngies know how the home and away draw works! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Newnes has proven he is good for 20 possies a game @decent DE% over 150 games so I would expect him to improve with every game. Richmond is a hard ask first up given their depth of talent and he might get a more negative role on a player like Edwards so his stats might not be so flash to begin with but I think he will end up a regular player for most of the season.

I came to respond to the same post you did......basically saying the same exact thing i've been saying for 6+months.

I didn't need to because you've basically said it verbatim for me.

At least the message is getting through to some.  ;)

Reply #21
A
Loins refuse to give CEY a game until he earns his chance.

While we persist with Lang Polson Dekoning and Dow.  And can add in Kennedy and Cunningham’s for blokes that have had too many chances and extended contracts when form didn’t warrant it. I rate Cunningham but how long do you wait. The bloke is now in his 5th season.

Loins are where we should be yet we are miles off and we started our rebuild a year earlier. Go figure.

Yet we dismantled them last year - not sure we were that far behind them then.

And they aren't adding the likes of Betts, Doc and Martin to their best 22.

And lost Hodge to boot. Interesting that Hodge played till he was 35 yet many suggest Betts is a has been at 33.

Joke!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
And lost Hodge to boot. Interesting that Hodge played till he was 35 yet many suggest Betts is a has been at 33.

Joke!
Love your loyalty, but the joke is comparing Hodge to Betts!

As a team and club General, Hodge on half of a good leg with two broken arms would still be an upgrade!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
A
Yet we dismantled them last year - not sure we were that far behind them then.

And they aren't adding the likes of Betts, Doc and Martin to their best 22.

Joke!

Fly I love your positively at this time of the year (even though it’s usually gone by round 6) but sorry I just don’t see it.

Doc is a star and once he get into the year I 100% agree we will be better with him in there. Betts will provide something even if for a year or two only till hopefully we get Papely but Martin I’m afraid is the same jury out boat as Kennedy, Settlefield, Dow, obrien, DeKoning, Cunningham and even fisher, Williamson and Marchbank you could add it that list if we took the blue glasses off.
Too many on here pencil these blokes in like they are certainties. Far from it imo.

None habe proven more then the odd good game her and there. All have potential. So what. Every team has these sorts we have lots but until they do what Walsh did last year and do it week in week out they are not players I lock in yet and hence why I still think we won’t trouble many sides this year except the bottom 2-3.

Hope I’m wrong but history tells me I won’t be.

Reply #24
Backs:            6. Kade Simpson   22. Caleb Marchbank    14. Liam Jones
Half-backs:   15. Sam Docherty    23. Jacob Weitering    24. Nic Newman
Centreline:   43. Will Setterfield    9. Patrick Cripps    32. Jack Newnes
Half-forwards:   1. Jack Silvagni    41. Levi Casboult    40. Michael Gibbons
Forwards:           19. Eddie Betts   11. Mitch McGovern   25. Zac Fisher
Followers:   8. Matthew Kreuzer    18. Sam Walsh    2. Paddy Dow
Interchange:   29. Cameron Polson    20. Lachie Plowman   5. Sam Petrevski-Seton
    35. Ed Curnow    12. Tom De Koning   3. Marc Murphy
    21. Jack Martin   34. Sam Philp    
Emergencies:    28. David Cuningham   27. Marc Pittonet   31. Tom Williamson
    7. Matthew Kennedy

Looking forward to seeing this game (through Kayo 14 day free trial) as the Fluffy Ones will no doubt be smarting just a little after what we did to them last year after they held a 37pt lead. You can expect some pretty serious stuff... as will no doubt be the case with all the final Marsh games.

Ps and only vaguely related. Tech advice needed. I signed up for the 2 week free trial of Kayo and we couldn't get it to work properly on my computer... continual load wheels spinning - hour on the phone with tech support and they couldn't fix it either.

So, I'm finally going to ditch this ASUS piece of crap in a few months, but what to replace it with. Only 5 years old but every year something packed up - finger pad then numerous keys then ports and other hard drive issues! It's the most expensive computer I've ever bought ($1500) and had to repair, maintain!!!! The $490, 12 year old backup Toshiba is more reliable (though slow i3). Recommendations around the $750-900 mark? I don't do games but do stream Netflix and edit my own YouTube AV stuff. Thank you tech minded cats.

Reply #25

Yep, well said and totally agree.

Reply #26
Interesting comments all, but this year, we must be utterly ruthless.  A lot rides and rests on Teague's shoulders.  As it should.  The complete mismanagement of the club can lie in the past.

This is nothing short of a campaign for self respect and that of other clubs. 

And stop turning the "e**in" ball over !!!! 

Reply #27
So, I'm finally going to ditch this ASUS piece of crap in a few months, but what to replace it with. Only 5 years old but every year something packed up - finger pad then numerous keys then ports and other hard drive issues! It's the most expensive computer I've ever bought ($1500) and had to repair, maintain!!!! The $490, 12 year old backup Toshiba is more reliable (though slow i3). Recommendations around the $750-900 mark? I don't do games but do stream Netflix and edit my own YouTube AV stuff. Thank you tech minded cats.
Buy a $250 AppleTV and plug it straight into your TV HDMI port, forget the laptop streaming stuff, there is a Kayo App in the App Store.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Fly I love your positively at this time of the year (even though it’s usually gone by round 6) but sorry I just don’t see it.

Doc is a star and once he get into the year I 100% agree we will be better with him in there. Betts will provide something even if for a year or two only till hopefully we get Papely but Martin I’m afraid is the same jury out boat as Kennedy, Settlefield, Dow, obrien, DeKoning, Cunningham and even fisher, Williamson and Marchbank you could add it that list if we took the blue glasses off.
Too many on here pencil these blokes in like they are certainties. Far from it imo.

None habe proven more then the odd good game her and there. All have potential. So what. Every team has these sorts we have lots but until they do what Walsh did last year and do it week in week out they are not players I lock in yet and hence why I still think we won’t trouble many sides this year except the bottom 2-3.

Hope I’m wrong but history tells me I won’t be.

Martin is elite anywhere near his best.

To put him in the same group as that lot is laughable.

Put our list next to Brisvegas' list - I'd say our list is better.

They went from 15th and 5 wins to 2nd and 16 wins overnight.

11 win improvement.

We won 7 in 2019, and lost 8 (i think) by less than 3 goals.

If we don't make the 8 it's a major fail.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
Buy a $250 AppleTV and plug it straight into your TV HDMI port, forget the laptop streaming stuff, there is a Kayo App in the App Store.

Thank you, Spotted One.