Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 2: NBs vs North Melbourne (Read 20174 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 2: NBs vs North Melbourne

Reply #90
Harry has ability, he should be playing seniors instead of running around with bananas like Jessie GMac in the NB's, some players will never show anything in the twos but shine when they play seniors...time to find out and same with Kerr.

It's not as if we'll be playing finals so why not?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #91
He probably hasn't earned it but why not...nothing to lose...Kerr too.
Different structure in the AFL and the incentive to do well may see them shine.

Reply #92
Bring in Harry and or Kerr if we must but personally I don't think either of them would make a lot of difference atm. We need some grunt and aggression in the midfield and we need to execute basic skills with a degree of competence all over the field. If we did that we would be in much better shape even with the squad we had playing on Sat. BTW, we'll likely be without Murphy for several weeks now and there's a doubt about Kreuz too? God knows what will happen next week??  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #93
Bring in Harry and or Kerr if we must but personally I don't think either of them would make a lot of difference atm. We need some grunt and aggression in the midfield and we need to execute basic skills with a degree of competence all over the field. If we did that we would be in much better shape even with the squad we had playing on Sat. BTW, we'll likely be without Murphy for several weeks now and there's a doubt about Kreuz too? God knows what will happen next week??  :o

I don't think it will make a huge difference....but "no change" is not an option after that performance and not many midfielders are staking a claim.

Reply #94
Lods, I don't like the idea of making changes in areas that won't have much of an impact - it smacks of "tinkering" rather that professionally considered change. Our focus needs to be on the midfield - our poor levels of skill execution (tackling, disposal, F50 entry - you name it) combined with being outbodied in the contest is killing us. We run around like headless chooks and a couple of different tall forwards I don't think will fix that.

Reply #95
Lods, I don't like the idea of making changes in areas that won't have much of an impact - it smacks of "tinkering" rather that professionally considered change. Our focus needs to be on the midfield - our poor levels of skill execution (tackling, disposal, F50 entry - you name it) combined with being outbodied in the contest is killing us. We run around like headless chooks and a couple of different tall forwards I don't think will fix that.

No doubt...but we're in a 'nothing to lose'' situation at the moment and I cant think of many mid-field changes that would make a difference.
We can't go in with the same side...so any VFL player who made an impact today should be considered a chance.

Reply #96
No doubt...but we're in a 'nothing to lose'' situation at the moment and I cant think of many mid-field changes that would make a difference.
We can't go in with the same side...so any VFL player who made an impact today should be considered a chance.

Fair enough I suppose. At least we'd see whether or not they are prepared to rise to the occasion and try to grab their opportunity - but don't be disappointed if they can't - our forward line ain't the ideal place to try and make a big impact from atm.

Reply #97
Rowe was probably the best of the AFL listed players, in conditions not suiting talls, Phillips likewise. De Koning rucked against Preust and did OK, has plenty of aerobic capacity but lacks strength and weight.

I thought Shaw was OK today as a rookie, Kerridge got to a lot of contests, but didn't do much in conditions that should suit his body type.

Kerr was quiet after a great first quarter.

McKay didn't do much at all early, was a little better later, but for a guy with his unique size and mobility he was ordinary at ground level, almost non-competitive compared to Phillips and De Koning.

Polson got plenty of football but keeps getting pegged not taking the first option, he'll be the Murphy replacement but it won't go down very well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
He probably hasn't earned it but why not...nothing to lose...Kerr too.
Different structure in the AFL and the incentive to do well may see them shine.
So Jack gets caned by some on here and accused of only getting a game due his old man rather than because he DESERVES a game. H shows 2/10ths of FA in the 2s week in week out  but DESERVES a crack. I dont get that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #99
Fair enough I suppose. At least we'd see whether or not they are prepared to rise to the occasion and try to grab their opportunity - but don't be disappointed if they can't - our forward line ain't the ideal place to try and make a big impact from atm.

My expectations are quite low at the moment  :( ....any ray of hope will be gladly appreciated.

Reply #100
So Jack gets caned by some on here and accused of only getting a game due his old man rather than because he DESERVES a game. H shows 2/10ths of FA in the 2s week in week out  but DESERVES a crack. I dont get that.

It's called 'desperation' :(

Reply #101

I don't think McKay deserves a crack, but he wouldn't do worse than SoJ! ;)

Kerr is the one showing the work ethic and if he brought that to AFL he'd do OK.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
McKay twins both ordinary today IMO
Blues McKay of course, hampered by injury. He needs a steady run to apply his development and skills.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #103

Harry is a pick 10 and vital to the clubs cause for the future, he plays CHF the hardest spot on the ground, Josh Kennedy was a total spud in his first few seasons and now will probably towel us up next game for another 5-10 goals. We need Harry to be our JK or we are going to struggle bigtime, Jack is a good kid who has Navy Blue blood in his veins and tried hard vs Nth but isnt a high impact player and being a later pick doesnt have as much riding on him. Harry will get a free pass every now and then as will Dow as will OBrien, SPS etc who were all taken as early picks, thats how it works, they will be gifted games due to the expectation they carry. Jack carried a bit too for a while but thats been tempered as he will never be as good as his old man and is a side dish rather than a main course and we have all learned to accept that...
I have a theory that if Kerr was a top ten pick he would have played seniors by now.....?

We kicked 4 goals vs North who are one of the worst teams going around IMO.......can it get any worse.....?

Reply #104

I thought SOJ deserved his recall. He's not his old man (der) but he does have a footy brain and desperation... just needs to build his endurance and strength. He was awful a few weeks ago, but he had loads of mates... some of whom were lucky to keep their spots.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17