Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted? (Read 28858 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted?

Reply #15
Sarah Hosking looks likely to join Nthmond, rumors are she'll depart our leadership group and enters their's with zero games, perhaps even the captaincy? Surely they aren't that bad they have to import a captain! :o

Whingers are winners, please Mr AFL, we are Nthmond, we ignored AFLW until we realised it's profitable, and now we want all the reward without the hard work, give us more concessions!

Anyway, one of my favourites so I wish her well, just not against us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Sarah Hosking looks likely to join Nthmond, rumors are she'll depart our leadership group and enters their's with zero games, perhaps even the captaincy? Surely they aren't that bad they have to import a captain! :o

Whingers are winners, please Mr AFL, we are Nthmond, we ignored AFLW until we realised it's profitable, and now we want all the reward without the hard work, give us more concessions!

Anyway, one of my favourites so I wish her well, just not against us!

Thats disappointing, but in football terms, i don't think we'll miss her.

However, she has her own podcast called "Behind the game changers" in which she interviews teammates and talks about all things Carlton. The last question she asks her guests is "What does it mean to you to be a game changer?" and explains that Carlton refers to the AFLW girls as game changers.
It is very much pro-carlton and pro-sticking together. She refused to acknowledge our former captain by name after she jumped ship. I think it was a directive from the club, as all the girls do it, but it spoke volumes that if you are not one of us, we don't have time for you.

Given all of the above, i don't know how she could live with herself by leaving.

Having said that, she was one of a only a couple who only signed a 1-year deal last year. Of all the ones who did, she had the most talent, even her sister signed for 2. So perhaps its been coming for a while?

Either way, i don't like it.

Reply #17
However her days in navy blue look to be done, with her manager Alex Saundry confirming on Tuesday that Sarah was likely to join Richmond during the AFLW sign and trade period, which begins next month.

The trade is likely to involve the Tigers' end of first-round compensation pick, selection No.15 in the national draft, which is pick No.9 in the Victorian draft.

While the Blues are likely to lose Hosking, they are set to gain ex-Melbourne skipper Elise O'Dea, who is strongly considering a move to Carlton.

A host of other Demons including Maddy Guerin (also Carlton), Harriet Cordner (Richmond or the Western Bulldogs), Aliesha Newman (Collingwood) and Bianca Jakobsson (St Kilda) have also emerged as serious trade options as Melbourne look to improve their draft position this year.

Given Hosking didn't make the top 10 in our B+F, if we can get pick 15 for her (really pick 9), then that would be a huge win.
Potentially could use that pick on ODea? Although i'd prefer to use it in the draft i think.

Don't know anything about Maddy Guerin though.

Interesting Jakobsson looks to be off to her 3rd club after starting with us originally.

Reply #18
It's not "stat footy" that Sarah Hosking brings though, she's a big pressure and 1% player.

I think Harf will be very disappointed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
It's not "stat footy" that Sarah Hosking brings though, she's a big pressure and 1% player.

I think Harf will be very disappointed.
Indeed. It will provide some big shoes for our recruits to fill.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
1. Grace Egan (2022)
2. Katie Loynes (2021)
3. Darcy Vescio (2021)
4. Maddie Perspakis (2021)
5. Abbie McKay (2021)
6. Gab Pound (2021)
7. Tayla Harris (2021)
8. Vaomua Laloifi (2022)
9. Kerryn Harrington (2022)
10. Sarah Hosking -traded to Richmond
11. Jess Hosking (2021)
12. Lauren Brazzale (2021)
13. Lucy McEvoy (2022)
14. Chloe Dalton (2020)
15. Brooke Walker (2021)
16. Breann Moody (2022)
18. Katie Harrison - delisted
19. Georgia Gee (2022)
20. Charlotte Wilson (2022)
21. Nicola Stevens (2021)
22. Courtney Jones (2021)
23. Sharnie Whiting - delisted
25. Jess Edwards (2021)
26. Joanne Doonan - delisted
27. Emerson Woods - delisted
30. Alison Downie (2021)
31. Brooke Vernon (2022)
32. Natalie Plane (2022)
33. Serena Gibbs (2022)
36. Jayde Van Dyk - traded to

xx. Elise O'Dea (2021+?)
xx. Maddy Guerin (2021+?)
xx. Charlotte Hammans (2021+?)

uncontracted
delisted/retired/traded
Signed until end of 2020 season
Signed until end of 2021 season

So we've just had an update from the club on the recent signing/extensions.

As you can see from the above, there is 1 name that has not signed on for next year.
We need to take 3 picks into the draft and we have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder.
We have a list size of 30.

From the above list, we have 27 players + 3 picks.

End result....
CHLOE DALTON IS NOT PLAYING!

I'm assuming this is because of her rugby 7's double duty and her chasing a(nother?) gold medal.

But unless i'm missing something (i don't think i am) that is devastating news IMO.

Reply #21
I'd like to see Harris and Vescio extend contracts, particularly because Dalton leaves a bit of a shortfall as she can play quite tall for a 180cm type in addition to being ultra-mobile.

We seem to have a smaller running list, but I don't think it's an accident of trading or draft, it looks deliberate.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
I'd like to see Harris and Vescio extend contracts, particularly because Dalton leaves a bit of a shortfall as she can play quite tall for a 180cm type in addition to being ultra-mobile.

We seem to have a smaller running list, but I don't think it's an accident of trading or draft, it looks deliberate.

I think there is a good reason as to why Vescio and Harris haven't extended their contracts and its got nothing to do with us, or them.

The AFLW player payments are different to the mens. From memory there is 3 or 4 tiers with limited number of players allowed in each tier.
At a guess its something like..
Tier 1 - 2 players
Tier 2 - 4 players
Tier 3 - 8 players
Tier 4 - the rest.

....and each tier has a capped amount.

So at a guess Harris and Vescio would be currently either a tier 1 or tier 2.
I'm not sure the AFL have set a salary cap/player payments scheme for beyond 2021 at this stage. They might want to either change the players allowed in each, or change the overall TPP itself, or any combination of the above.
So for all involved, its probably best to wait it out given both were part of the original marquee players from season 1.

Reply #23

So we've just had an update from the club on the recent signing/extensions.

As you can see from the above, there is 1 name that has not signed on for next year.
We need to take 3 picks into the draft and we have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder.
We have a list size of 30.

From the above list, we have 27 players + 3 picks.

End result....
CHLOE DALTON IS NOT PLAYING!

I'm assuming this is because of her rugby 7's double duty and her chasing a(nother?) gold medal.

But unless i'm missing something (i don't think i am) that is devastating news IMO.

CONFIRMED.

https://womens.afl/news/51721/star-blue-and-giant-put-aflw-careers-on-hold-for-olympics
PACEY Carlton midfielder Chloe Dalton will put her AFLW career on hold in 2021, returning to rugby sevens to pursue an Olympic berth.

The Tokyo Olympics have been postponed until next year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the 27-year-old needs to be based in Sydney until then for training.

Dalton, who finished second in the club's best and fairest this year, will return to the Blues after her Olympic bid, and has signed a contract for 2022.

She previously represented the country at the Rio Games in 2016.

Reply #24
Maddie Prespake extends her contract to 2022.
https://womens.afl/news/51722/re-signings-wrap-gun-trio-locked-in-until-2022
Prespakis, who was crowned the 2020 AFLW best and fairest at just 19 years old, signed a contract extension with Carlton and will be a Blue until at least the end of 2022.

I suspect the AFL has given some direction in terms of contracts from post 2021.

Perhaps we will see a few more extensions now.

Reply #25
Women's footy was to be unaffected next year (gil stated that months ago) on the back of growing the comp.  I think the pressure mounted to start providing clarity regarding the future to sign players in both men's and women's.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
Updated new players numbers as per our uno number reveal video...lol

Reply #28
3. Darcy Vescio (2021)
5. Abbie McKay (2021)
6. Gab Pound (2021)
7. Tayla Harris (2021)
10. Mimi Hill (2021)
11. Jess Hosking (2021)
12. Lauren Brazzale (2021)
14. Chloe Dalton - Sitting out 2021 for Olympics
15. Brooke Walker (2021)
17. Charlotte Hammans (2021+?)
18. Maddy Guerin (2021+?)
21. Nicola Stevens (2021)
22. Courtney Jones (2021)
23. Daisy Walker (2021)
24. Winnie Laing (2021)
46. Elise O'Dea (2021+?)
xx. Paige Trudgeon (2021)

uncontracted
delisted/retired/traded
Signed until end of 2021 season[/b]
Signed until end of 2022 season

This is the list of players currently in limbo, neither delisted, nor contracted for 2022.

I suspect that everyone with #15 and under, as well as Nic Stevens, will be offered a contract relatively quickly.
The others are all worthy of another year on the list, but it depends on what is available both at the draft and via trade.

Reply #29
Would we offer someone like Downie a one year deal to hold a potential KPF position out of the square leaving Vescio and others to be more mobile, or has that ship sailed?
The Force Awakens!