HB:   Scotland Watson Tuohy
C:     Walker  Murphy  Thomas
HF:    Yarran  Henderson Robinson
F:      Casboult Waite Garlett
R:      Kreuzer Judd Gibbs

INT:   McLean Carrazzo White
SUB:  Armfield
EMG:  Curnow Lucas Docherty

Swap Gibbs and Murphy, Replace White with Warnock, Docherty for Army and thats what I had.

Fair enough on Gibbs and Murphy. In modern day football, I'd consider all of Judd, Gibbs and Murphy (the primary onballers) as interchangeable. I could easily see Docherty taking Army's spot at some point in the season because I think he's naturally a better footballer, I'm just not 100% that will be from round one.

I went without a second bonafide ruckman in the side because I think that if you take some pressure off the Casboult/Kreuzer combination by playing them out of a forward pocket (with both Hendo and Waite as key forwards) then we shouldn't necessarily need another lumbering tall like Warnock in the side. I'd rather go with the extra flexibility of White, who can slot in either forward or back and isn't limited to just the one particular position.
Agree on the ruck theory, only problem for me is the two of them (K and 206) are so injury prone, they cant seem to ruck all day alone ala Jolly, Ottens etc at their prime.

When I picked that, I was hoping that playing in a forward pocket with both Henderson and Waite taking the main key forward responsibilities (and therefore best defenders) may alleviate that issue to a degree as the rucks would get true rest deep in the forward line without having to roam too much or play key position. I'd be okay playing a Warnock/Kreuzer combo but preferred Casboult as the deep threat/forward pocket/relief ruck as he is simply so much better than either of Warnock or Kreuzer in a contested marking situation.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #46
@Nathbear
Casboult may be in with a show if he ever learns to kick straight and gets to the required fitness level.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
@Nathbear
Casboult may be in with a show if he ever learns to kick straight and gets to the required fitness level.

Cookie many here and I too agree with you. His marking ability in a contest is great. If he can get fit and learn to kick straight, he could be one of the best forwards in the league. We can only hope this becomes the case soon. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #48
@Nathbear

Fluffy Biscuit me good buddy, let me assure you that Meat (Casboult) can kick. His only kicking problem is between the ears. I've seen him kick 60 metre goals from the boundary in the NBs. It is only confidence and instinc... ideas that he cannot kick are simply wrong. Get this blokes head right and he could be anything...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
@Nathbear

Fluffy Biscuit me good buddy, let me assure you that Meat (Casboult) can kick. His only kicking problem is between the ears. I've seen him kick 60 metre goals from the boundary in the NBs. It is only confidence and instinc... ideas that he cannot kick are simply wrong. Get this blokes head right and he could be anything...

To me Baggers it matters nought what he CAN potentially do if he doesn't consistently actually DO IT. Whether the problem is between his ears or anywhere else mate, if he can't get the ball consistently between the big sticks, then as far as I'm concerned, he can't bl00dy well kick under AFL match conditions.

I really hope he can sort this out - we could really do with him demonstrating his ability on a regular basis. I would love to see him be successful, but if he isn't in 2014 then I fear for his future with us beyond that time unfortunately.

Reply #50
@Nathbear

To me Baggers it matters nought what he CAN potentially do if he doesn't consistently actually DO IT. Whether the problem is between his ears or anywhere else mate, if he can't get the ball consistently between the big sticks, then as far as I'm concerned, he can't bl00dy well kick under AFL match conditions.

I really hope he can sort this out - we could really do with him demonstrating his ability on a regular basis. I would love to see him be successful, but if he isn't in 2014 then I fear for his future with us beyond that time unfortunately.

Point is that he can consistently do it and has done so. However, you're right, unless he can deliver consistently under all conditions/situations next year, he will be fade to obscurity. I am sure that he and Rowey are under no illusions in terms of their footy careers... they both have a phenomenal opportunity to deliver at our club and secure a terrific future... and what they deliver in 2014 will decide that.

Reply #51
@Baggers
Look, you've probably seen a lot more of him than I have. I have actually seen him kick a few good goals for the 1s when he looked fine and really connected. However, this does not seem to be a consistently repeatable process atm, which does suggest the problem is all in his mind.

Reply #52
@Baggers
Look, you've probably seen a lot more of him than I have. I have actually seen him kick a few good goals for the 1s when he looked fine and really connected. However, this does not seem to be a consistently repeatable process atm, which does suggest the problem is all in his mind.

Exactly.

Reply #53
Any chance Duigs could be called upon to fix the stuff between Bolt's ears?  ;D
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #54
B: Tuohy, Jamison, White
Hb: Everitt, Watson, Simpson
C: Thomas, Carrazzo, Curnow
Hf: Walker, Henderson, Judd
F: Garlett, Waite, Kreuzer
Foll: Warnock, Gibbs
Rov: Murphy
I/c: McLean, Menzel, Scotland, Yarran
Emerg: Bell, Docherty, Robinson

Reply #55
@Baggers

Exactly.

I disagree. His technique is terrible. His ball drop doesn't sync with his steps, he almost drops the ball with two hands and then swings his leg from right to left through his kick.

Reply #56
@Baggers

Exactly.

I disagree. His technique is terrible. His ball drop doesn't sync with his steps, he almost drops the ball with two hands and then swings his leg from right to left through his kick.

+1 technique for sure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #57
@Baggers

Exactly.

I'm no expert MI, but doesn't good technique require strong concentration - keeping your mind on what you're trying to do? So a lapse in concentration means technique suffers. Maybe if he could maintain concentration then his kicking would be a lot better?

Reply #58
No amount of concentration can overcome a technique like that. The action itself needs a complete overhaul.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #59
No amount of concentration can overcome a technique like that. The action itself needs a complete overhaul.

But he has kicked some excellent goals, consistency/repeatability seems to be his problem. Are the good ones just down to chance?