Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 124053 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #195
@ Pratty.

Do you think that part of the reason why Kreuzer is struggling in the forward role is that 1.  He hasnt quite been fit enough to do it properly, and 2.  He is lacking confidence in his ability to perform that role?

Early doors he looked more than competant and he has really dropped off a long way from the first glimpses where normally players go from strength to strength in getting better.

Perhaps he could eventually fill the role but needs to get "on a roll" if you know what I mean.

You could be spot on here Thry as he did look very good as a young ruckman/forward. I think with Waite and henderson around him up forward he is hopefully going to be more dangerous up forward. Give him some confidence id hope like you said he certainly does need.

Reply #196
I feel that Kreuzer has morphed into a no.1 ruck, when I think the club was hoping he would become a good forward and good ruck when they drafted him. His best work is done when he is in the thick of it hunting the ball, not hanging in the forward line waiting for it.

That is why I think the most effective combo is that of Kreuzer and Casboult as the latter as we know has a great pair of hands, and would do more as the resting ruck up forward despite his kicking. I also think the club needs to do a better job at managing him through a season, he is starting to break down towards the end of seasons.

Reply #197
Well I'm hoping that we can finally see a Kreuzer that ain't actually broke this year, and finally get some ongoing value from him fully fit and firing. If that happens then a combo of him and Warnock will be a very good one.

We've heard a lot about Casboult's work in the off-season too - it'll be very interesting if he also comes good - let's just hope he can.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #198
Well I'm hoping that we can finally see a Kreuzer that ain't actually broke this year, and finally get some ongoing value from him fully fit and firing. If that happens then a combo of him and Warnock will be a very good one.

We've heard a lot about Casboult's work in the off-season too - it'll be very interesting if he also comes good - let's just hope he can.
I have a feeling Kruze will probably struggle because he hasnt had a full preseason unfortunately. His foot injury late in the season needed surgery and lingered alot longer than expected. This has affected his ability to do a full PS. He couldnt attend Arizona and hence will be behind the 8 ball.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #199

I have a feeling Kruze will probably struggle because he hasnt had a full preseason unfortunately. His foot injury late in the season needed surgery and lingered alot longer than expected. This has affected his ability to do a full PS. He couldnt attend Arizona and hence will be behind the 8 ball.

Not an ideal way to prepare for a new season at all. We will have to wait and see how he gains his match fitness and endurance as the season goes along. Surely by the half way mark through the season, he will be better than he has been before.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #200
Kruezers stats are not far off that of Dean Cox except in average marks, but he never seems to influence or win games like Cox has.
He is capable of taking big marks, kicking goals unlike Warnock but never does it for 4 quarters or rarely take big marks forward that win games, wether its fitness or confidence I dont know but he should be a better player than he is given his athletic abilities and skills.
Gibbs is the same.....he can pick up 30 possies but doesnt really control or win games....both players lack the intensity and imagination in their game to dominate.
They are not leaders...Judd is intense and competitive for 100 minutes, he wants to win every contest and dominate and this is what separates stars from just good players like Kruezer and Gibbs...

Reply #201
Kruezers stats are not far off that of Dean Cox except in average marks, but he never seems to influence or win games like Cox has.
He is capable of taking big marks, kicking goals unlike Warnock but never does it for 4 quarters or rarely take big marks forward that win games, wether its fitness or confidence I dont know but he should be a better player than he is given his athletic abilities and skills.
Gibbs is the same.....he can pick up 30 possies but doesnt really control or win games....both players lack the intensity and imagination in their game to dominate.
They are not leaders...Judd is intense and competitive for 100 minutes, he wants to win every contest and dominate and this is what separates stars from just good players like Kruezer and Gibbs...

Its heart and ticker stuff that usually begins between the ears. Get the mind going and have some belief and the world is your oyster. That is why some players dare to be different and some just choose to follow the other sheep. its up to the coach to give them an open licence on what they do and back their efforts. Challenge them to look beyond the square, and outside their normal restricted boundaries. Their potential is beyond their belief if they just took a few more risks. Remember with few risks there are few rewards. Just go for broke every now and then. More so now than then. If you get nailed, you get nailed. So be it. Judd has been nailed many times, but he has run like a freak more than a few times in return. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #202

He was cruising until the mid point of last year until Lloyd came out and questioned him. It worked for a couple of weeks until he slipped back. Maybe it is an application thing rather than injuries holding him back?

Reply #203
I remember Mick saying last year that he a felt that the players do not know what it takes to be successful and are almost unsure how hard they need to train and play. I think sometimes our blokes are just dumb, I mean the best midfielder of the past decade is right in front of them everyday, that's what it takes to be successful. Kreuzer and Gibbs certainly need to lift intensity.

Reply #204

Bingo elwood. Spot on!

Reply #205

He was cruising until the mid point of last year until Lloyd came out and questioned him. It worked for a couple of weeks until he slipped back. Maybe it is an application thing rather than injuries holding him back?

He's just not the athletic freak he was made out to be, he has little acceleration and is quite lumbering. his strengths lie in the ground ball where he would not be much better than a B-Grade mid as opposed to overhead which is what we thought we'd be getting.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #206

He's just not the athletic freak he was made out to be, he has little acceleration and is quite lumbering. his strengths lie in the ground ball where he would not be much better than a B-Grade mid as opposed to overhead which is what we thought we'd be getting.

I have to agree with you there Carrots.

Reply #207
Collingwood drafted a very similar style of player at the 2012 Draft in Brodie Grundy, so will be very interesting to see how the two of them compare to each other, career-wise.

Kreuzer's biggest strength is his attack on the contest, where he uses his big body to bust open packs and dish handballs out to our running players. That's why he's far better suited as the #1 ruck, in my opinion, it gets him to more contests and therefore allows him more opportunities to showcase his strengths.

I'm hoping that 2014 gives us the opportunity to play both Henderson and Waite in the key forward posts more often than not, which means that when Kreuzer is resting forward, he gets the third best defender rather than one of the top opposing guys. Playing/resting out of the goal square, Kreuzer is a huge threat as he doesn't get any shorter, plus his ability around the stoppages will bring in our smaller forwards.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #208
@Nathbear

I like that scenario Nath!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #209

Kreuzer's biggest strength is his attack on the contest, where he uses his big body to bust open packs and dish handballs out to our running players. That's why he's far better suited as the #1 ruck, in my opinion, it gets him to more contests and therefore allows him more opportunities to showcase his strengths.

I agree with this but IMO he's not doing it like he was pre-knee injury and I'm starting to wonder if it's less about the physical side than the mental side. I kinda hope it's mental, coach should be able to sort him out and it would be a shame (and disaster for us) if his body is broken.