Skip to main content
Topic: Summer Sports Reading (Read 4575 times) previous topic - next topic

Summer Sports Reading

With all the talk around Juddy's book, are we able to compile a list of 'must read' sports books that we should get our hands on for some summer reading.

Two from me:
Andre Agassi 'Open'. Indifferent about reading it, but it was most compelling! A great read! 
Stan Alves 'Sacked Coach: Life...Football...Death'.  Great, honest insight into the 'goings on' at St Kilda in the late 1990's and a lot more.

Re: Summer Sports Reading

Reply #1
I'm 90% through the Bob Murphy book which I am really enjoying. It is a collection of his Age (Melb newspaper) articles so very easy reading. Each chapter (article) is only 3 or so pages so nothing heavy (what football book is?).
A really different mindset to most (all?) footballers and in fact most people - looks at things in a way very few people do.
Quite funny at times and also quite insightful. Sounds like the sort of bloke I'd like to chat to in a pub some time.
"Do yourself a favour".

Reply #2
For any soccer fans, the Andrea Pirlo bio is a good one. Very funny, especially the chapter on player superstitions which is gold.
I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #3
I'm 90% through the Bob Murphy book which I am really enjoying. It is a collection of his Age (Melb newspaper) articles so very easy reading. Each chapter (article) is only 3 or so pages so nothing heavy (what football book is?).
A really different mindset to most (all?) footballers and in fact most people - looks at things in a way very few people do.
Quite funny at times and also quite insightful. Sounds like the sort of bloke I'd like to chat to in a pub some time.
"Do yourself a favour".

Might have to get that one. I've always enjoyed watching him when he's on 360, especially his rascal segment.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #4
Just finished Greg Williams book...don't bother...it finishes at the 'start' of the 1995 season. ::) :D

Reply #5
Just finished Greg Williams book...don't bother...it finishes at the 'start' of the 1995 season. ::) :D

What's the point of it then ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #6
What's the point of it then ??

Poor timing on Williams's part...if he'd waited 12 months he may have had a happy ending. ;D

He actually finishes up saying that he and Kernahan are (we're) contracted until the end of 1996 (they lasted another year after that)
..."that means I have two more chances to play in a premiership team. I am determined to make the most of both."

Reply #7
Poor timing on Williams's part...if he'd waited 12 months he may have had a happy ending. ;D

He actually finishes up saying that he and Kernahan are (we're) contracted until the end of 1996 (they lasted another year after that)
..."that means I have two more chances to play in a premiership team. I am determined to make the most of both."

He could always try and release a 'part 2', unlikely given he's lost most of his memories.  :'(

Reply #8
He could always try and release a 'part 2', unlikely given he's lost most of his memories.  :'(

Here it is.

In 95 I played in arguably the greatest Carlton team of all time. We flogged Geelong in the GF and I bagged 5 along with the Norm Smith. In my final season in 97 I was involved in an incident with that soft cock dog Denham from the scum, where I innocently brushed aside Umpire Andrew Coates who didn't deem the incident reportable. The AFL in it's wisdom pursued the incident through the courts until they received their desired outcome, so I retired.

I now have symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy as a result of head trauma. 
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #9
Here it is.

In 95 I played in arguably the greatest Carlton team of all time. We flogged Geelong in the GF and I bagged 5 along with the Norm Smith. In my final season in 97 I was involved in an incident with that soft cock dog Denham from the scum, where I innocently brushed aside Umpire Andrew Coates who didn't deem the incident reportable. The AFL in it's wisdom pursued the incident through the courts until they received their desired outcome, so I retired.

I now have symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy as a result of head trauma.

Here's a bit of irony.
From the Williams book

1986 Sydney vs Fitzroy

"Ëxactly 11 minutes into the first quarter field umpire Rowan Sawers said he was reporting me for striking Clayton in the stomach. I was not pleased.
And nearly seven minutes later while I was still angry, I nearly made things a lot worse. Sawers awarded a free kick against me which I thought was unjust. We had words. I fronted him and manhandled him a bit. He could have reported me again. Instead he awraded a double 15 metre penalty against me.

The Clayton report was dismissed and Williams went on to share the Brownlow with Dipper.
So from a Carlton point of view while we missed out on one Brownlow in 1993 (which he should have won)...Diesel actually finished up all-square. :D

Reply #10
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is a great book. Recent movie called Everest is based on it. Jon himself was part of the team that made that fateful summit attempt and tells the story from his point of view of what happened etc. Very hard to put down.