Skip to main content
Topic: Blues To Win Flag Within 4 Years Says 1AW! (Read 5135 times) previous topic - next topic

Blues To Win Flag Within 4 Years Says 1AW!

CARLTON can defy the growing band of doomsayers and win a flag within the next four seasons, star defender Andrew Walker says.

Walker signalled his confidence in the Blues' long-term future when he re-signed in February for three more years, tying himself to Visy Park to the end of 2017.

The 27-year-old could have explored free agency at the end of this season, but he told AFL.com.au on Wednesday he had no hesitation in sticking with Carlton.

Asked whether the Blues could win a premiership before his new contract expired, Walker was emphatic.

"Absolutely," he said.

"We haven't got off to the best start, 0-3 isn't where we want to be.

"Last year, we started 0-3 and got ourselves into the finals and were really competitive until we played the Sydney Swans up there.

"We've got some of the most exciting young kids coming through at the club and (they are) really willing to learn off us older guys – guys like Blaine Johnson and Patrick Cripps, just to name a few."

The Blues have been savaged in the media following their 81-point capitulation to Essendon on Sunday night, with many commentators concluding Carlton's list is in need of a drastic overhaul.

Walker freely conceded the Blues "didn't turn up to play" against the Bombers, but said they had been competitive in the opening two rounds against Port Adelaide and Richmond.

In fact, Walker believes Carlton played "top-four football" in patches against the Power and Tigers, with their challenge now to replicate that form more regularly.

The speedy defender missed the Richmond game after being suspended for one week for throwing Port forward Angus Monfries into the fence after tackling him near the boundary line.

"I'm in the leadership group and it was extremely undisciplined of me. I copped the one week and deservedly so," Walker said.

"That's something that I don't think is a part of my game, I just had a bit of a brain fade.

"Angus is a small forward and he can get inside people's heads and I'm a competitive defender. At the end of the day, it was probably just my competitive nature coming out.

"The biggest thing that comes out of it is that you miss a big game (against Richmond) and it was a big game that was a close one and I probably could have had an impact.

"So it was disappointing to miss the game."

The Blues have four remaining free agents this year: Bryce Gibbs, Michael Jamison, Jarrad Waite and Heath Scotland.

Gibbs' situation is the most interesting. The South Australian has been widely linked to Adelaide and has sought details from Carlton on its list management strategies before making a decision on his future.

But Walker was "extremely confident" Gibbs would follow the lead set this year by him, Marc Murphy and Kade Simpson and turn his back on free agency.

"(Bryce) joined the leadership group this year so, if that's any indication of his commitment to the club, I think it's pretty positive," Walker said.

"He's a vital part of our future."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-09/walkers-fouryear-flag-plan
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Blues To Win Flag Within 4 Years Says 1AW!

Reply #1
Whoops, old article. He said that after the scum loss! :o
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2

STOP TALKING AND START DOING

Reply #4
Now there's a guy who has faith in his coach..  ;D

Reply #6
Now there's a guy who has faith in his coach..  ;D

He didn't say with Mick :P

In fact, the coach was the one thing he didn't mention or throw his support behind. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
If he thought Mick was a problem , he wouldn't be thinking flag in the next 3 years.

You're are grasping at straws boys.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #8
I think if you read up sandsmere you'll find that all comments were in jest hence the :P. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
Must have a high opinion of Blaine Johnson...hasnt played a senior game and is still a rookie

Reply #10
Tex was taken out of context.    He really meant a flag within the next 4 decades. 

:P