Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 22517 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #120
I was just reflecting on how we prepare for match days at training. I confess that I do not attend training sessions and only get the occasional view via videos on the internet. It seems all very chummy and jocular. Do we do any high-intensity stuff that simulates actual match pressure and forces our players to execute skills under realistic match conditions? Can anyone enlighten us?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #121
We need some new assistant coaches.
What about these two.

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/4zPbgRZPH8U[/flash]

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/ZmlVMnLZhRM[/flash]

Nice speeches, but did EJ, Barassi and Hinkley win those games??

Reply #122

Whitten's last game...dogs won by 3 points ;)

The North game is from 1979....They won the first game by 4 points against us that year at Princes Park...we won the second by 22points at Arden street.
Pretty sure that's the second one ;)
They lost

Hinkley's Bell Park won that Grand final.

In the words of Mr Loaf..."two out of three ain't bad"

Reply #123
Well of course Godot never comes. But we've waited for a few messiahs who never came and entertained a few false prophets before this reset started didn't we?

If this reset doesn't work could it be a case of ? -
"And when the thousand years are finished, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall come forth to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to the war: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up over the breadth of the earth, and ..."

Theres no Mesiah in here. Theres a mess but no Mesiah! ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #124
Hinkley said on radio yesterday he did. Not sure about RDB. Wasnt the TW one the day they won the flag in 54 or am I mistaken?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #125

EJ  died 24 years ago so he's not going to help us (top pic), Barassi might wake a few up though (2nd pic). That 2nd pic is the game against Carlton in 1979. North were miles behind, huge 3rd qtr they come back, went further head in the last (blast might've worked...for a while) before Carlton suddenly ran rampant and won by 22pts.

Reply #126

Funny how we were sold a 'reset' to begin with and now it's a fully fledged rebuild... (which is necessary). Should have been: 1st two years - demolition. 3rd year onward - rebuild then reset then

Problem with the above is that you gut all hope from supporters and players combined, so it’s a reset and a rebuild, and exciting young players showing growth... sure it’s sugar coating, but you can’t sell “unlikely to win a game for 4 seasons”
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #127
Agree. Not sure what some people expect around here.
13 consecutive losses and 37 rounds < 100 points scored and we should only accept contributions like...

“Bad luck Blue Boys, better luck next time.”
“Hang in there, we need to stick phat.”
“Saw some positive signs today.”
etc., etc., ...

Apart from making this the world’s most boring forum i’d like to think we’re all mature enough to accept differing viewpoints without getting too precious.

Those who think we’re being disloyal/impatient need to understand the sustained success we experienced from 1968 to 1995 was forged from the now famous comment from George Harris who turned to one of his cohort during a game in 1965 and uttered something like, “This is crap and i’m not putting up with it anymore. We need to do something.”

The premiership in ‘68 broke our previously longest drought - 21 years. It’s now been 23. This time around, the club is “doing something” - it’s rebuilding. We all know what that means (basically, be patient) but does anyone really know what it looks like?

If we win the flag in 2020, both camps - the so called loyal supporters  ::) and the rest of us wil all hold hands and sing ‘Kumbuya’ together. If we win in 2030 the loyalists will say “I told you so” but those of us who were there in ‘68 (Olympic stand, 2nd tier) won’t be around to hear it.

I argued blue in the face with fly in pre season that finishing bottom six is almost guaranteed.

I know where we're at, and probably have a better appreciation than the average punter about where we are at, but I can categorically state that we are playing much worse than I thought we would be at this stage which is a bigger concern than whether or not we've won.

I was livid after the Gold Coast and North games and we saw it again against the doggies.

Sure we've got some injuries but blokes running around not knowing what they should be doing is downright unacceptable.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #128

I argued blue in the face with fly in pre season that finishing bottom six is almost guaranteed.

I know where we're at, and probably have a better appreciation than the average punter about where we are at, but I can categorically state that we are playing much worse than I thought we would be at this stage which is a bigger concern than whether or not we've won.

I was livid after the Gold Coast and North games and we saw it again against the doggies.

Sure we've got some injuries but blokes running around not knowing what they should be doing is downright unacceptable.

Spot on, 3 Leos. Well said.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #129
Spot on, 3 Leos. Well said.

Yes, that - for reasons unknown - is a recurring theme at the Blues in recent decades!

My glass half full stuff is prefaced on knowing what individual players can (and sometimes) do.

But the 'glue' appears to be sorely missing.

What would I do?

Change the match committee (i suspect group think) ...and?

Get Kouta involved.... make him an assistant coach, whatever....he wasn't always God's gift, he worked darn hard.

No harm in trying. F.. all downside from where we are at.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #130
During the commentary on today's game someone said that Pendlebury knows where every player in is side is or should be on the field at any time. Do we have anybody who knows that?

Reply #131
During the commentary on today's game someone said that Pendlebury knows where every player in is side is or should be on the field at any time. Do we have anybody who knows that?

Bolton ;D

Reply #132
Bolton ;D

:))
I wonder if he's told anyone else? Only joking.

Reply #133
We were in trouble early granted.

Aside from Docherty, the injury to Pickett (albeit yest to establish himself fully) seemed to have a massive effect on our ball movement. His electricity seemed to have been infectious?

The ongoing injury to Lang - sure not the messiah - but a walk up start to our best 22 and an experienced type next to most of our kids.

Ditto Willo - who's hard at it and a very good kick.

Ditto Weiters - whether injured or other....but not right.  Still think his issues are mental, hopefully he'll get sorted.

Then Kreuzer and Kennedy injured in Rd 1 - last time we played remotely good footy. Then the silly effort to bring both back before they were fully recovered.

Marchbank went down and similarly was brought back in too soon.

ACOS injured, Byrne injured, Murphy injured.

SOJ is a shadow of what he offered last year - 2nd year blues or young love but he shouldn't be playing 1s for quite some time....

If the Tigers had had a similar injury run last year they would have been lucky to make the 8?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #134

Sounds like BS to me. And pretty irrelevant too.....

Are they suggesting Pendles 'coaches' too whilst in the heat of battle?
Finals, then 4 in a row!