Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9116 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #15
They couldn’t play any better, the ball bounced there way, free kicks went there way, we gave them 5 goals in backline errors they gave us none, we were flat and had lots of passengers..................
Yet we lost by 3 goals!  HOW?

Reply #16
I was so angry through that game. Just dumb dumb dumb mistakes, how many stupid turnovers resulted in goals for them? Just not acceptable.

McG craps me, H I have nfi what he did except fall over a lot.

The one big positive is Jack is just about my favourite player now, already. He’s smart, hard working - I think it was in the third quarter he willed himself into the contest over and over again. That’s Cripps-like. Finally we have another him, now if we could get some of the others to wake up and get in there.

Whats thoughts on Samo?

And the umpiring was incredibly one sided. No that didn’t cost us the game but fack me there was some bizarre calls and non calls. 
Samo is the other I think offers nothing all to often. Just coasts along every week not really doing much. If they extend the legal kick distance from 15m to 20m, he is in strife.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Stocker and the mids on the rookie list like Honey need exposure.   Newnes,  Fish,  Setterfield aren't doing it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
Whats thoughts on Samo?

Just a second tier hack. So out of his depth it's embarassing. That turn over in the middle of the ground was laughable. He and Plowman try to out do each other weekly on the most embarassing defensive effort coupled with a major turn over to cause a momentum change in the game.

You can set your watch to it. These blokes really should be renamed to "Atomic Clocks". screwin joke...
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #19
We looked very sluggish from the outset and if we were playing a top side this would have been 10 goals plus.

Only Martin, Cripps, Setterfield, Gibbons, Weitering and maybe Cunningham can hold their head high.

Lots for Teague to sort out

Defence
- Docherty may be great running out of defence but allowing Geary to kick multiple goals is unforgivable
- two brain fade switches from Jones
- Plowman’s attempt to touch the ball was hard to watch
-SPS is not a natural defender and lacks intensity and his touch was off again.
- Simpson getting on
- Williamson sloppy disposal/tripping over his own feet

Middle
- Pittonet was soundly beaten
- Murphy picks and chooses
- Newnes not good enough
- Walsh out of sorts

Forwards
- 0 output from McGovern, Casboult, Mackay
- Betts  absent after quarter time
- Philp not ready

All hard to watch

Where to from here ?

Reply #20
And as I suspected, Doc didnt get the freedom he had for 3 weeks, Ratts gave everyone the road map to beating Carlton. Make Doc and his co defenders defend. Shut Cripps down, get 5 goals up early, easy peasy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
The most embarassing part in this 20 year saga, is the fact that it's the same mistakes, continual poor draft picks and zero progress. Why is it so hard to find someone who can kick?

It's like ground hog day.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #23
Fish wasn’t playing, thought Setters was ok

Reply #24
Yep I’m over weaklings and feeble acts
We have too many players who avoid contact, shirk tackling and bump when they should tackle, we are the bruise free Blues not the Navy Blues. Being intimidated by non descript hacks like Stkilda is embarrassing...

Reply #25
Fish wasn’t playing, thought Setters was ok

Be ok for a pick 40 but doesnt have the class or physicality to support Cripps when the skipper is being held and we need a lift.
Too light in the body and not enough tricks....good Indian but wont ever be a Chief.

Reply #26
random thoughts

yeah ok - a more athletic ruck might be useful.  Pitto was jumped all over tonight, but battled away still.

we got out run and gunned early again.  need better contested ball winners from the get go.  crippa doesn't always start so hot (always finishes hard though) - but we need more mongrel around the ball, especially early.

newnes doesn't do enough and i didn't want to pot him until i'd seen a few games.  i'd be giving LO'B a few games to see how he's coming along.

philps went from 5 to 9 touches, and did a couple of nice things.  he needs to go back and develop. 

a shame fish got sick - we needed his pace and tenacity around the pill early.

jack martin is a good player.  a shame he didn't have his kicking boots on tonight.

Levi, H, Eddie & Gov had stinkers.  H I can't pot because he simply hasn't had any continuity, but is not in form. 

Liam, Liam, Liam.  Does so many things right.  But NEVER switch across the ground.  please.

I agree with someone above about Simmo & Ed being very close to the end.  Both wonderful servants, but you can't go on forever.

Willo you can see has been out of the game for a while.  he'll get better.

Doc being tagged was an obvious move, and it worked a treat.

I think Jones should have played on King - Weitering couldn't get up high enough to spoil, but probably broke even by the end of the game.

SPS has not had a good year.  i dunno about him as a back.

cunners did not back it up.

setterfield played ok, but didn't do enough.

all of the above negative comments due to not going hard enough early enough.  switch it on and things can change next week.

Reply #27
We have too many players who avoid contact, shirk tackling and bump when they should tackle, we are the bruise free Blues not the Navy Blues. Being intimidated by non descript hacks like Stkilda is embarrassing...

Agreed
12 players with 0 tackles at half time. Unfortunately desire to win the contest can’t be taught and we just need to keep dropping those  that won’t put in.

Reply #28
I didn't watch Q4, but you know what?

Cripps kicks that goal late in the third I reckon we would have won.

That's not to excuse the abject laziness of many, the cheap cough ups and the incredibly bad decision making, but hey.....and the bizarre umpiring.

Teague just needs to drop a few - big h, simmo, McGovern, newnes.

Still think Cripps is injured.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
Agreed
12 players with 0 tackles at half time. Unfortunately desire to win the contest can’t be taught and we just need to keep dropping those  that won’t put in.

Is that right? Well there's the game right there. Bad, bad attitude.
Finals, then 4 in a row!