Skip to main content
Topic: Time For The DRS To Be Scrapped - Ashes Farce !!! (Read 6325 times) previous topic - next topic

Time For The DRS To Be Scrapped - Ashes Farce !!!

In this Ashes series, we have already had some dud decisions and we are only in the First Test.

Root's caught behind down legside was questionable but I think it was out, Trott smashed his into his pad and them Broad, well that is just appalling.

Thing is, they have this Decision Review System which was purely designed & implemented to reverse 'howlers', not as a tactic or add to the theatre of the match. What's worse is that there is a cap on how many times a team can call for a review which is fine initially until you run out of credits like we did last night. The rule was created to over-rule crap decisions but it just doesn't work.

These days, we are relying on technology all too much for umpiring decisions, the Bell lbw a perfect example. When it happened live I thought 'out', seeing three replays in slo-mo confirmed my belief. The third umpire went to Hawkeye which showed the ball was going to miss leg stump so the batsman was given 'not out'. Clearly there is a huge error factor when using computers & their imaging, even the manufacturers of the thing will tell you that.

I'd rather get rid of the media, cameras & any other piece of technology they use to make umpiring decisions and just rely on the human element to get it right. Sure they will get some wrong but its better than the comical system they have in place now. Umpires can't even give a stumping or run-out without a camera replay when the guy is a metre out of his crease these days.  

Don't like it, never have !!          
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Time For The DRS To Be Scrapped - Ashes Farce !!!

Reply #1
Take the reviews out of the players hands completely. Simple ....but too simple for the ICC apparantly.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #2
Quite simply, do not waste them like the Aussies did.

Very amateurish the way we handled the whole thing.

As you said Sheik, the DRS was designed to eliminate the howlers, not work out if it was missing leg stump by 1.50mm.

Reply #3
Review all decisions except the dead obvious ones. That way everyone is equally disadvantages ;)

Reply #4
Take the reviews out of the players hands completely. Simple ....but too simple for the ICC apparantly.

It's ABC stuff really. Give it to the umpires, just as the AFL have with the goal review.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #5

As you said Sheik, the DRS was designed to eliminate the howlers, not work out if it was missing leg stump by 1.50mm.

Absolutely agree. This has been going on back to when Ponting was captain. Australia like to be aggressive and the quote from Peter Siddle recently reinforced their thinking "You don't leave anything in the bank, if you've got a review you always use it" etc. That thinking is what lead to us having no reviews when the Broad situation occurred.

Easiest way forward I think is remove the teams right to DRS and have the Umpires work together. I really hate the use of it with the LBW law as too often it's used literally and not within what the spirit of the law was about (see Chris Rogers dismissal in the 1st Innings). Whilst technically correct that's NOT what the LBW law is designed to do. It was originally put in to stop batsman playing with the pad and the not offering a shot change was again to tighten that understanding (kicking the ball away and not trying to play).

I believe that the ball MUST be going on to impact the wicket NOT just nick it. If you look at the three stumps, the ball should be clearly impacting (as in the majority of the ball) and any less than over 50% of it shouldn't be considered a full impact.

Probably won't happen but that would end these ridiculous LBW review decisions - they are either certain OUT or not certain NOT OUT.

Reply #6
Not so sure its the system..we just cant use it and waste reviews on rubbish appeals that never look like being out or when batting review the plumb ones....
Get a wicketkeeper who knows whats going on would help...

Reply #7
Not so sure its the system..we just cant use it and waste reviews on rubbish appeals that never look like being out or when batting review the plumb ones....

As much as I admire Haddin's efforts I have to agree, the clock is ticking on Haddin's career he just doesn't realise it yet! He may have helped us get close, but behind the stumps he cost us far more than the dozen or so runs we lost by.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8

Aussies terrible, every batsmen thinks he's 'not out', and if its an lbw - then unless you have an inside edge, you are wasting your time asking for a review.

We only have ourselves to blame, ditto in regards to the pitiful top order batting generally this test. We were lucky to get within 14 runs imo...

Reply #9

Yep Haddin is terrible, where Prior is very good. Haddin thinks they are all out. Watson uses the review even if he smashes it to cover.

It was good to see Clarke Acknowledge he has to get better and use it correctly.

We wasted a very poor lbw appeal. Pattinson was already half way to the boundary with his cap on!!!

Also 228 runs from our tenth Wicket Vs 348 Runs from our other 18 wickets....needs to be rectified.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #10
DRS needs to stay.  It's application needs changing.

Currently if an umpire gives an LBW appeal out and the batsman asks for DRS, then assuming other conditions are met, the ball only needs to be shaving the stumps for it to be given out.  If the bowling team asks for DRS for an LBW given not out, and other conditions are met, then majority of ball needs to be hitting stumps.

This needs to have only one interpretation.  Doesn't matter which.

The third umpire has to be able to intervene when a 'Stuart Broad' situation arises.  Takes one reply to realise he's out, before the bowler has gone back to his mark.

The umpires must also be able to ask for a decision to be reviewed if they are not sure.

There still needs to be a limit on the number of decisions teams can ask for DRS incorrectly in order to limit abuse.

As has been mentioned, the DRS was introduced to prevent 'howlers'.  Could hardly call both the Clarke and Hadding decisions howlers...

Reply #11
If the DRS is to remain, then its use or intervention of has to be taken out of the hands of the players because they have not helped its image or credibility.

Why the third umpire isn't allowed to intervene and over-rule on a howler is beyond me ?? What's the point of having the technology & the third guy in the box upstairs if they can't say anything unless the captain asks for it.

It's a complete joke at the moment so either get rid of it completely (my first preference) or not let the players pick & choose when it is used.

And lastly, the DRS should never ever be used for LBW decisions, it is just not accurate enough.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"