Skip to main content
Topic: Stuart O'Grady retires then admits to doping (Read 4880 times) previous topic - next topic

Stuart O'Grady retires then admits to doping

No surprise really.

Cycling Australia (CA) says Stuart O'Grady's doping admission is a "real disappointment" but it is confident the sport can regain public confidence.

O'Grady admitted to using the banned blood-boosting agent EPO before the 1998 Tour de France, the confession coming just three days after he announced his retirement form the sport.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-25/cycling-australia-shattered-by-ogrady-admission/4843910

Re: Stuart O'Grady retires then admits to doping

Reply #1
One thing you can state about the cycling dopers is that at least the playing field appears level.  Not condoning it, but these guys were pretty much all doing it, so unlike other performance enhancers, it sort of balances out to a "fair" win.

Of course it has crippled the sport and shame on them for having over a decade of question marks on the sport. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
I actually respect Stu for being honest at least. It does however make me concerned about Cadel. If he comes out in a few years the TDF is dead imo.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #3
Several decades of question marks, in the 50's it was amphetamines.

I personally think they should allow all drugs in cycling and turn all the grand tours death race style, i.e. they can take whatever they like from PED's to illicit drugs, there are no stages, just 1 start and finish and the first person to travel the 3500km wins, using whatever means possible. Now that would be interesting television.

Seriously though, gutted about Stewie. Re Cadel, he'll be fine.

Reply #4
He only did it because there is a imminent report due from the French government naming some 70 cyclist and he is one of them.  It has nothing to do about coming clean or being honest

Reply #5
He only did it because there is a imminent report due from the French government naming some 70 cyclist and he is one of them.  It has nothing to do about coming clean or being honest

Sounds familiar...

Where have I heard that story again?

Oh wait, see the Bombers shoot up, up!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Loved O'Grady as a cyclist.   Gutted when I heard the news.  I suppose kudos for just admitting it.  Report that named him ony said suspision of taking EPO.  He could have fought it, but just came clean.    Pity.

He raced in a dark era for the sport where winning meant cheating. 

Think Cycling is better for it though.   

Reply #7
Its not a great way to end a career at all. Its a shame such as respected Australian cyclist has stained his reputation. I was always under an illusion that Australian athletes in cycling were clean and followed rules. I guess I was mistaken as the sport, sponsors and money involved have made the sport come to the lowest of lows in the last dozen years or so. There is hope the sport will recover, and there is a chance this problem of doping/substance use will be eliminated once and for all.

It still gets me how Lance Armstrong got away with his issues for so many years. How he lied. How he went out on a path to destroy the lives and careers of those who accused him of wrong doing. Still love cycling as a sport. It will take more than what I have seen in the media over the years to stop enjoying cycling. Its just a shame that people don't understand that "Cheats never prosper" in the end. Short term yes, but not long term. ???
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #8
Its not a great way to end a career at all. Its a shame such as respected Australian cyclist has stained his reputation. I was always under an illusion that Australian athletes in cycling were clean and followed rules. I guess I was mistaken as the sport, sponsors and money involved have made the sport come to the lowest of lows in the last dozen years or so. There is hope the sport will recover, and there is a chance this problem of doping/substance use will be eliminated once and for all.

It still gets me how Lance Armstrong got away with his issues for so many years. How he lied. How he went out on a path to destroy the lives and careers of those who accused him of wrong doing. Still love cycling as a sport. It will take more than what I have seen in the media over the years to stop enjoying cycling. Its just a shame that people don't understand that "Cheats never prosper" in the end. Short term yes, but not long term. ???
Liked
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
Sounds like someone said to him "onya bike mate".
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"