Skip to main content
Topic: The Ashes - First Test @ Trent Bridge  (Read 47638 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Ashes - First Test @ Trent Bridge

Reply #135
You know that old saying that's drummed into you from a very early age........"Cheats never prosper"........

ITS BULLcrap !!!!

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #136
Despite all the controversy that was a cracking game of cricket unfortunately marred by some poor decisions.

Well done to Australia climbing back off the canvas after what appeared a knock out blow (and 100+ run loss) to get so close. I had a feeling lunch would hurt us and if we'd been able to bat longer (i.e. no lunch break) I think we had the momentum. Still that's Cricket and you just don't know what's going to happen.

I have no doubt that England got the bounce of the ball. If the Australians regroup and mentally stay in the game this will come back against England somewhere in this series - it's not done yet.

Reply #137
Had all day..just had to milk the runs from the opposite end that Anderson was bowling but no ..Haddin has to chase/poke at one and gets caught behind.
Pattinson had the right idea..play straight keep the good ones out and just score easy from Swan with the field offering singles everywhere..

I thought we could win, all the hard work for nothing.....following Australia is like following Carlton..teased to the end and then we lose the close ones....

Reply #138
Had all day..just had to milk the runs from the opposite end that Anderson was bowling but no ..Haddin has to chase/poke at one and gets behind.

Really was a poor shot from Haddin who had admittedly played well up till then. If ever there was a ball that should have been let through, that was it.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #139
Well done by the Aussies to get that close, but we should have never been in this one.

Bowling going nicely, but the dearth in batting continues.

Top order dismal in general, and simply not good enough.

You can't rely on a tenth wicket partnership to add some respectability to the teams total.

Switch in Uzi for Cowan at Lords I reckon.
Leave bowling as is, or maybe Bird in for Starc.

Reply #140
Well done by the Aussies to get that close, but we should have never been in this one.

Bowling going nicely, but the dearth in batting continues.

Top order dismal in general, and simply not good enough.

You can't rely on a tenth wicket partnership to add some respectability to the teams total.

Agree with both....Starc gone.  Birds pressure at one end will be invaluable.  Poms much vaunted bowling not looking as good as everyone made out apart from Anderson.....who might be a little tired still come another 5 days starting Thursday perhaps. We played (mostly) Swann pretty well.  There should be a team pact for the rest of the series...DO NOT give Broad a wicket & pepper him continually when batting.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #141
Agreed, it took a miracle from Agar and Hughes (of all people) to prevent this being over in 3 days.   The 14 run margin seems to have clouded people's minds to reality - our batting failed twice, and nobody posted a score in both digs (= inconsistency, our biggest problem).

Haddin out driving away from his pad, to a ball that wasn't quite there to drive... haven't we heard that one before?  In Haddin's defence, why was he placed in that position in the first place?  0/100 FFS!  Bloody top order - again.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #142
Cowan should never have been picked and most definitely not at 3.

he as good as admitted pre Test he didn't want to/wasn't comfortable play at 3....

That selection along cost us the game imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #143
Agreed, it took a miracle from Agar and Hughes (of all people) to prevent this being over in 3 days.   The 14 run margin seems to have clouded people's minds to reality - our batting failed twice, and nobody posted a score in both digs (= inconsistency, our biggest problem).

Haddin out driving away from his pad, to a ball that wasn't quite there to drive... haven't we heard that one before?  In Haddin's defence, why was he placed in that position in the first place?  0/100 FFS!  Bloody top order - again.

It was the middle and late order that killed us apart from Cowan who stunk both times.

The top order struggled on the first day, but they were pretty special conditions. The second day (first innings) the middle and late order failed in good conditions apart from Hughes and Agar.

In the second dig Watson and Hughes did well and Clarke was ok, then the middle and late order fail apart from Haddin and Patterson.

But the good news is that Rogers, Watson, Hughes, Haddin all made runs when conditions were reasonable. Pattinson and Agar made runs as well. So that just leaves Clarke and Cowan (and Starc and Siddle, but they are 50/50) as below par in either innings.

Bird is the one I'd like in, I don't think Starc handled the pressure very well and was pretty ho hum when the ball stopped moving.

I think Cowan is a no brainer. We've got 4 openers in the side because the selectors don't have any faith. Boof looks like he's trying to build that faith and Kawaja is now a Qlder so Boof will want him in,
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #144
Even when conditions were "favourable" we had periods when our batting simply failed.  End of day 4 being a case in point.  Getting out when set is a sin on a deck like that - and an eternal problem with Watson.  When conditions are favourable we need to cash in - but don't.  And then there is always Swann to contend with in the periods where Anderson isn't warping it around.

I agree that Starc has the capability but doesn't do it often enough.  Is he dangerous enough often enough i.e. does he bowl enough good balls to get a gig at Lords?  He didn't seem to cause great angst aside from the novelty of being a left armer.  Gee he can leak runs, and can look deadest ordinary when the ball isn't swinging.

I agree that Bird is the logical replacement but is he going to "make things happen" if the pitch is flat or grind out wickets... bearing in mind that the poms seem perfectly happy to grind out decent scores at 2 an over? Is our attack too same-same with Bird and Siddle.... but the thought of Bird hitting a spot on the downhill ramp at Lord's does peke interest.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #145
Even when conditions were "favourable" we had periods when our batting simply failed.  End of day 4 being a case in point.  Getting out when set is a sin on a deck like that - and an eternal problem with Watson.  When conditions are favourable we need to cash in - but don't.  And then there is always Swann to contend with in the periods where Anderson isn't warping it around.

I agree that Starc has the capability but doesn't do it often enough.  Is he dangerous enough often enough i.e. does he bowl enough good balls to get a gig at Lords?  He didn't seem to cause great angst aside from the novelty of being a left armer.  Gee he can leak runs, and can look deadest ordinary when the ball isn't swinging.

I agree that Bird is the logical replacement but is he going to "make things happen" if the pitch is flat or grind out wickets... bearing in mind that the poms seem perfectly happy to grind out decent scores at 2 an over? Is our attack too same-same with Bird and Siddle.... but the thought of Bird hitting a spot on the downhill ramp at Lord's does peke interest.

I thought he was very unlucky with that LBW shout, but you are right he should have made more.

But really only Bell took his chances out of all the batsmen.

The key to getting guys out like Bell, when he does his best impression of a barnacle, is to make sure he plays EVERY SINGLE BALL. Starc and others still let them off playing 30% of the balls they should.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #146

Agree. No need to panic. Clearly an underwhelming performance that nearly got the choccies so Boof needs to back the players atm as a new coach.
IN WADA WE TRUST