Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 2 2021 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Friday at Whitten Oval  (Read 4454 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 2 2021 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Friday at Whitten Oval

Reply #30
Trading Sarah H, on top of Walker and Dalton being out is not looking like great list management.

Is it the same crew that manages the men?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
I'd like to see Edwards' efficiency. Cannot hit a target by hand or foot, and shouldn't be playing in defence because her turnovers hurt.
To the contrary her disposal efficiency at 62.5% puts her in our top 10 year to date.  However this just shows how stats can mislead, a lot of her poor disposals ie the 37.5% that are not "efficient" are really poor execution.  She is a conundrum, we need to good she brings but the bad really hurt us last night and it it that sort of disposal that is our biggest problem.

Reply #32
Another disappointing loss on the back of a period where he opposition got hold of us. Last week 7 or 8 minutes in 2nd quarter coughed up 4 goals to seal our fate. Last night the early part of the last quarter where we coughed up 3 goals to lose a 10 point lead without seeming to get forward of centre at all, then we dominate territory but couldn't get it on the board.

Skill execution and decision making poor and with Pound, Laloifi and (Brooke) Walker hopefully available for the next match there may be some changes in the offing for the next match. The question is who? Harrington stank in week one but was much better last night. Whilst it is a simplistic measure of performance it is notable that our player with the lowest average disposals is Darcy Vescio averaging 5 dispoals (total 10 disposals equal lowest with Laloifi off a single game) and I wonder whether the selectors might make a big call? Others with low disposal counts are Downie, but her strenghth lies in ruckwork rather than ball winning , Hammans (ave 5.5) and Guerin (ave 7.5). Conversely, Downie and Vescio are 1 and 2 in average disposal efficiency and Hammans 4th which might help their causes given disposal quality has been a big issue.

I really struggle to see who else might be in line to be dropped but with 4 quality potention ins there will some some nervous players awaiting the team announcement.

Lastly, my daughter, her partner and I have decided to do a podcast on the Blues AFLW team - anyone interested here is our first effort posted before last night's game. About the only thing I think it proves is my future does not lie in weather forecasting!

https://anchor.fm/lizzie-hone/episodes/ ... LJZ6Y_kMOM

Reply #33
Hi ianh. Thanks for the report. I'd be keen to listen to the podcast, but that link returns a 404 error. I've tried three different browsers on my desktop, but no dice.

Thanks.

Reply #34
Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah that's right...

Thought the same thing, and gulped... please, no!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
Shout out to K and IanH - really appreciate your explanations as I'm nowhere near as across our gals as you good dudes.

My only observation, and disappointment, from last night was the compulsive handball which all too often landed at the target's feet or the target wasn't ready and hence out of position! Handballs hitting targets, and targets being ready would certainly alter the scoreline, I believe... but then again that's probably stating the bleedin' obvious.  ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
Hi ianh. Thanks for the report. I'd be keen to listen to the podcast, but that link returns a 404 error. I've tried three different browsers on my desktop, but no dice.

Thanks.

Try this  https://anchor.fm/lizzie-hone/episodes/A-loss-to-the-old-enemy-but-a-chance-at-success-yet-to-come-epusue?fbclid=IwAR0JJOa0qEFz7qogVrFQeLX6uUuY2ziT5moU6OAVNUW274X9kKYCS5K-SkI

Reply #38
Trading Sarah H, on top of Walker and Dalton being out is not looking like great list management.

Is it the same crew that manages the men?

Walker is injured and will be back.
Dalton is only out for olympic duties and will be back in 2022.

Sarah Hosking out allowed us to get Elise O'Dea and Maddy Guerin in. That is a win for us.
O'Dea is an upgrade on Hosking, albeit a few years older, and Guerin has already offered more than i expected from her and is purely a bonus.

I know we are 0-2, but lets not lose our $h!t just yet. We have a good side. Under pressure now with some injuries, but still a good side.

Reply #39
To the contrary her disposal efficiency at 62.5% puts her in our top 10 year to date.  However this just shows how stats can mislead, a lot of her poor disposals ie the 37.5% that are not "efficient" are really poor execution.  She is a conundrum, we need to good she brings but the bad really hurt us last night and it it that sort of disposal that is our biggest problem.

Curious where you found DE stats.

Edwards has one of the most awkward looking handballing techniques i've seen.
Her kicking technique is better, but far from ideal.

She is a solid foot soldier, but i cringe every time she is trying to deliver the pill.

Reply #40
Lastly, my daughter, her partner and I have decided to do a podcast on the Blues AFLW team - anyone interested here is our first effort posted before last night's game. About the only thing I think it proves is my future does not lie in weather forecasting!

Good luck with that, mate. Hope it is a big winner! :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #41
Just looked at team stats for the game.

We lost kicks 141 - 129.

Inside 50's were even.

We won....
Handballs
Disposals
Free kicks
Clearances
MI50
Cont. Poss.
Tackles
Hitouts

We did all the right things, but couldn't get it on the scoreboard!

Reply #42
Just looked at team stats for the game.

We lost kicks 141 - 129.

Inside 50's were even.

We won....
Handballs
Disposals
Free kicks
Clearances
MI50
Cont. Poss.
Tackles
Hitouts

We did all the right things, but couldn't get it on the scoreboard!
I50's were squared up in the last as we dominated it, I can't recall the number in the last. They had way more qtrs 1-3.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #43
I50's were squared up in the last as we dominated it, I can't recall the number in the last. They had way more qtrs 1-3.
Correct.

We had ball inside our forward half 90% of the last quarter.

....and they kicked the first 2 or 3 goals of it!

EDIT:
Stats here...
https://womens.afl/match-centre/2021/2906/wb-v-carl#teamstats

MI50 4-11
Tackles 55-78
Handballs 69-118

Reply #44

Good luck with that.

Had a quick listen...but 80-odd minutes! It goes for as long as the game!  :o

Maybe try and condense it a bit would be my advice.
Your daughter speaks well.