Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 72943 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #240
Dow played with a smile on his face tonight. Shame about his front tooth :(
That was Paddy's warm up RSN performance  ;)

There were certainly some lackluster patches in the second half. All in all though a solid run against quality opposition. Only jlt and all that but a win for a young side is priceless. We had more players out than Saints yet we held our own. I love that we lost the turnover stat too and de remained reasonable.  I hope these are all signs of the effectiveness of our preparation.

I hope Garlett is OK. He had a few flashes of brilliance and will be better for the run. I thought Kennedy was solid and Byrne worked his way into it.

Jonesy just continues to impress in defense. I hope the Carlton shop's got plenty of #14 merchandise. I also noticed how many of the guys looked (on tv) like they were giving instruction. Perhaps our leadership density really is increasing. That will make for a super learning environment for our newbies and youngsters.

Enjoy the tiny wins bluebaggers

Garlett is a bit light and plays a WAFL brand of footy, talented for sure but might be a horses for courses player on dry bigger grounds....

Reply #241
Bit early to judge there EB!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #243
Garlett is a bit light and plays a WAFL brand of footy, talented for sure but might be a horses for courses player on dry bigger grounds....

First run in the big time for quite a while. He’ll pick up the pace as the season progresses.

Reply #244
Probably explains much about why the Saints dominated the midfield for long periods, mainly via Stephens from what I could make out. We held up though in the end and maybe gained a lot from the experience? I thought, to our great credit, we had a resurgence in the second half of the final quarter to gain the win.

Me too cookie. My biased view was that we've trained the q4 fadeouts effectively.
Interesting how Bolts limits rotations during PS. Clever little bugger ::)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #245
Agree. A very high quality player with exceptional intercept marking and kicking.
Will easily be our best defender in a year or two.
Liam Jones still making simple errors

Who would you play Weitering on vs Richmond, given Jones will most likely get Riewoldt and the other Richmond Forwards will
of the small to mid mobile pressure types? Butler, Costanga, Caddy, Rioli, Edwards, Lambert etc, Martin....?

Reply #246
Who would you play Weitering on vs Richmond, given Jones will most likely get Riewoldt and the other Richmond Forwards will
of the small to mid mobile pressure types? Butler, Costanga, Caddy, Rioli, Edwards, Lambert etc, Martin....?
i'd play him on Rance.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #247

We don't have 5 small defenders either way.
I think you play to your position and zone and perhaps if anything you play Weiters loose in that game zoning across half back.
But anytime you play a team with so many smalls you are going to struggle to match small for small, so you try and take marking options away from them and clog it up with zones
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #248
St Kilda were shocking tonight. And it was only JLT.

Those 2 caveats aside that was a great win. We seemed to experiment quite a bit during the game also with the midfield especially.

Liked how we saw off the challenge and pulled away at the end to make it comfortable. How often did that happen in reverse last year?

Dow.... gun. Delivery into the forward line outstanding. Rove off the pack with clean hands. Lot to like.

Felt a lot better than this time last year anyway.

Reply #249
We don't have 5 small defenders either way.
I think you play to your position and zone and perhaps if anything you play Weiters loose in that game zoning across half back.
But anytime you play a team with so many smalls you are going to struggle to match small for small, so you try and take marking options away from them and clog it up with zones

If he is loose are you playing another man back to pick up his man or are you allowing Weiterings nominated opponent to also be loose? the latter is a dangerous tactic given Richmonds
entry rate and ability to rebound quickly which doesnt include bombing the ball, rather they hit up their smalls on the run and look to burn you on the break by creating the overlap.

Reply #251
I think that young Harry's efforts tonight confirmed what his form in the NBs and in his two previous games suggested; he can play.  However, he needs to be able to string several games together to adjust to the tempo and pressure.  The last thing I would do is drop him and play Weitering forward.

Marchbank was outstanding tonight and Plowman wasn't far behind.  With Weitering, we have three defenders who can match up on a tall forward, play up the ground and provide run through the midfield.  There's no reason why we can't play all three, and Jones, in defence and up the ground.

Dow definitely looks the goods and O'Brien will be better for the experience.  Kennedy was quieter than I was expecting but his hardness at the contest was promising. Garlett flashed in and out but the tackle that ended his night was a highlight.

Kreuzer and Cripps both made good on their desire to be more effective in the forward 50 and both were in good form around the ground.  Casboult was very good as back up to Kreuzer and I think that he will be a major beneficiary if McKay and Charlie Curnow continue to improve.

Cuningham was good, as was Fisher, and it's good to see their development progressing.

Finally, anyone who thinks Ed Curnow won't be one of the first players picked for round 1 has rocks in their head  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #252
The positive thing for me is that we need to squeeze a few lesser performers out by R1.  Looking at the stats sheet we only played 24, so it looks like Samo & Weiters were not replaced, which is interesting in itself.  To get them back in we need to take out 4.

I can only think of 3 easy outs, being Lamb, Mullett & O'Brien.  Pickett & Garlett only got half a dozen touches each (Garlett injured of course), but Pickett looks very dangerous, and his upside is huge, so he's got to stay in.  Someone will be unlucky.

My favourite thing though was the interview with Cripps.  The boys wanted to win, JLT or not.  That's the guts of everything right there.  If these boys can get some ruthlessness and desire to win about them, then we're onto something.  If not, they may as well play social footy.

Reply #253
Weiters will play CHB, where Marchbank played tonight.
Marchbank becomes the 3rd tall, Plowden the 4th, both can probably play small when required, and effectively Weiters pushes Mullet out of the team. That's how I see it anyway.

I thought Byrne played the most Docheryesque type of game.
He took the game on at every opportunity and while it didn't always work out,  he gave it a good go!

Dow is a ripper and will contribute from round 1. LOB needs to work on a few things but could still get some game time.

I liked what I saw of Kennedy, I just didn't see enough of it, but I'm sure he'll improve.

Garlett will be ripper. Him, Picket & SPS will be an absolute joy to watch for years to come!

We didn't kick 100 points but we had 9 goal scorers and 4 of those kicked multiple's, that's what we will want to see every week.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #254

Rance.

Edit:
Jesus, I’ve just read that I’m in agreement with fly about something... ????
????????
Hope there’s a replay available tomorrow, Go Blues !
Let’s go BIG !