Skip to main content
Topic: 5th Test (Read 5475 times) previous topic - next topic

5th Test

Batting Haddin at 6... that ploy has always ended in tears... inside three days.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Re: 5th Test

Reply #1
Batting Haddin at 6... that ploy has always ended in tears... inside three days.

Yep...it never works and while I am happy to see Faulkner get a game as a I think he can play we really are papering over the cracks again.
Not that happy seeing Tremlett in the team for England either, thought he really worried are batters when he played out here with his pace and bounce.
Hope the wicket is as flat as they say and our batters get some runs....its a dead rubber and usually the series losing team tends to win these games so we might have something to cheer about.

Reply #2
I like it. Not.
We are moving closer to picking a side that contains 10 bowlers and Clarke.

I'll watch it tonight, but won't be expecting much!

Watson to fail at 3 like he has in every other position this tour, both on and off the field.

Reply #3
Scored 300 Once as a side in something like 16 innings and we bring in an Honest Tryer who averages 30 with the bat?

In a side that has taken plenty of wickets.... Crazy.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #4
Warner gives them the first wicket with a dreadful shot.  Fair dinkum, clueless stuff.

Personnally I'd open with Siddle.  Has a better defensive technique, temperament and attitude than some of our "batsmen".b

Reply #5
England playing Chris Woakes which tells you they are not that interested this game, he is a one day player only IMO and is probably only on trial for the tour of Aus as a backup player. Big chance for Watson to make some runs this innings, flat track, weaker and  non interested English attack and he has no excuses.
Forgot to add Simon Kerrigan also debuting for England.....left arm spinner of sorts...

Reply #6
A sad day for Australian cricket with Watson's ton......

Now we must endure him for several tests in the home series too.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7
Got to 100 and lost concentration, gets out 15 minutes before stumps.... but thankfully he made a score in between because there was precious little else.

Another dud innings in a dud series for Clarke...seems to make 2 or 200, for an average of about 50.  He should expect a lot of short stuff going forwards.

Can't see us taking 20 wickets on this deck and if we don't make 500 in the first dig we will regret it.

Reply #8
Well the fans didn't disappoint. Expected to come on here and not find a good word said.
Anyway, Well done to Watson. As we say about sport, you can only score against the opposition that is out there and not against who is not there

Reply #9
Well the fans didn't disappoint. Expected to come on here and not find a good word said.
Anyway, Well done to Watson. As we say about sport, you can only score against the opposition that is out there and not against who is not there

If you can't score runs when the heat is on, don't bother imo.

Dead rubbers mean jack.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
Got to 100 and lost concentration, gets out 15 minutes before stumps.... but thankfully he made a score in between because there was precious little else.

Another dud innings in a dud series for Clarke...seems to make 2 or 200, for an average of about 50.  He should expect a lot of short stuff going forwards.

Can't see us taking 20 wickets on this deck and if we don't make 500 in the first dig we will regret it.

Watson played some entertaining shots but wont get gifted too many better pitches or weak bowlers like Kerrigan and Woakes....felt sorry for Kerrigan who got more nervous as he bowled and dont think I have seen
such poor bowling in terms of accuracy for a long while. He could not hit a length and Christmas came early for  Watson and Smith....the latter made 60 odd not out but if you saw his first shot you would think he was playing in the family backyard.

We shouldnt lose this test and with 5 genuine bowlers in the lineup have a good shot at winning....

re: Clarke....got rattled by Broad and Anderson got the rewards with Clarke very focussed on not getting hit....both he and Watson will cop their share of short stuff from now on.....
re: Broad...seems to love being  the villian and getting all the attention...I'd be inclined to do the opposite of what Lehmann said and not give him any verbal....he is one of those players who feed on it and it gets them going...

Reply #11

If you can't score runs when the heat is on, don't bother imo.

Dead rubbers mean jack.

Watson has come out and said the same thing, which is more mature than I ever thought from him.

I disagree, behind Clarke he is out only world class batsmen (his ODI form proves it) and HIS best position is number 3. Can you imagine Khawaja taking to Woakes and Kerrigan?

Perfect, if he's in early, he's basically opening anyway. If he comes in after a good start he can take to an attack.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #12
Well done to Smith on his ton.

Thanks to the rain and a normal bed time for me I saw no cricket last night. Boo!

Reply #13
People thought I was mental at the time, but about 6 weeks before the 1st Test of this series, I was able to get a bet through Tom Waterhouse of 15-1 on Australia not winning a single Test in the series. England didn't have to win all 5, Australia just had to either lose or draw every test.

Thank you, Tom Waterhouse and Australian Cricket for being so rubbish. You have officially paid for my holiday to London (plus a week spent on a Spanish beach somewhere) including flights, accommodation and spending money, courtesy of one risky but well-placed bet.

Bring on the return series! Wonder what sort of odds I could get on us winning that one. I reckon we're going to, England really aren't much chop, we just sucked the big one.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final