Skip to main content
Topic: 2nd Test : Australia V South Africa @ Port Elizabeth  (Read 15354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2nd Test : Australia V South Africa @ Port Elizabeth

Reply #30
I go to bed at none for 120-odd.  Check scores 2 hours later and we're all out.  WTF?  I'm over this crap.  Too many spineless displays, too often.

Too many non-contributors.

BTW fellas, the Ashes is long gone, stop dwelling on those glories.... get switched on to the task at hand.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #31
Very poor effort in the 2nd innings, although we weren't that much better in the 1st. Batting: were the cracks covered by the way Haddin batted in the Ashes? His form then was phenomenal. His form at present is not and we don't appear to have much middle or late order.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
Finally, the players with poor techniques or composure who looked like world-beaters against an insipid English outfit have been found out under the pressure of some hostile & solid bowling.

I have not rated a lot of the current Test players and for good reason, they just aren't good enough. Mitchell's incredible return to form papered over a lot of those cracks. Under the Yarpies microscope, they have reopened.  
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #33
Finally, the players with poor techniques or composure who looked like world-beaters against an insipid English outfit have been found out under the pressure of some hostile & solid bowling.

I have not rated a lot of the current Test players and for good reason, they just aren't good enough. Mitchell's incredible return to form papered over a lot of those cracks. Under the Yarpies microscope, they have reopened.

Might have to call you flip-flop after your OP.

Reply #34
I suspect Boof will be tearing a few blokes some new dots over the next coupla days... and deservedly so.

Time to really face our brittle batting.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35

Might have to call you flip-flop after your OP.

Why ??

Our bowling has been pretty good but its our batting that has been vastly over-rated and it has now been proven brittle under pressure.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #36
The game was won by Steyn who started to reverse swing the ball after lunch, he had it going both ways and should have had Rodgers caught behind for around 60 odd but the Saffies didnt refer the not out decision...you could just tell after that he was going to be trouble because he also stepped up his pace and none of the batters had much idea which way the ball was going, he does the same every series we play South Africa and I'll be glad when he follows Kallis into retirement.

Problem with our attack apart from Harris no one really swings or seams the ball to any great extent, Johnson relies on brute pace and bounce and the Saffies knobbled this wicket so he wasnt a factor, Siddle doesnt get many to go off the seam and Watson was really missed IMO.
People can say what they like about Watson's batting but when he is playing our attack looks more dangerous and better balanced.

I still see us as the equal of South Africa despite losing and wouldnt be to panicky...the Saffies are a good team and unlike England play with some pride and it was always going to be tough yakka winning  a series on their home soil.

Reply #37
Australia = Head >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Self
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Lost this game when we didn't dig in and bat for four sessions in the first dig.  Burned out the bowlers and simply got too far behind.  As Boof said... they knew how this game was going to play out but they could did little to stop it.

For mind I'd be giving Harris a rest - has been well down and lacking penetration.  If Watson comes up I'd drop Marsh (a pair after a hundred ain't good enough) in lieu of Doolan.  At least Doolan occupies the crease for a while which is something.

Haddin needs to be told to switch on and needs to think about countering the inswinger/off cutter which he clearly has an issue with. Clarke also needs to harden up and value his wicket - too much loose stuff from the captain.

Given the right conditions and a  fair first dig from our blokes we can be competitive in the Third test... it ain't all over yet.  BTW, Morne bombing Mitch wasn't super smart, I'm sure that went into the memory banks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #39
Lost this game when we didn't dig in and bat for four sessions in the first dig.

SA showed Australia what Test Cricket was all about, the last day was an abomination. Australia have been on a winning streak but they have really been playing five days of 20/20, the minute Warner went out the team need to readjust the game plan to force the draw.

Instead they folded like it was all too hard, some of them have done this before!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
The measure of characters is not how hard they hit the ground, but how well they bounce back up on their feet to meet and beat the next challenge. Its time the captain takes the bull by the horns and leads by example. They all need to show what they are really worth, and not milk pay packets just because they can. What you earn doesn't prove your worth. Results and efforts do. Best of luck guys. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #41
Rodney Hogg made the point that Steyn cannot get reverse swing when bowling to left handers because of the change in bowling angle.

While more left handed batters would reduce Steyn's effectiveness, Hogg baulked at recalling Hughes  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
Rodney Hogg made the point that Steyn cannot get reverse swing when bowling to left handers because of the change in bowling angle.

While more left handed batters would reduce Steyn's effectiveness, Hogg baulked at recalling Hughes  :)

I dont agree with Hogg, watched Steyn bowling to Rodgers after lunch on the last day and his method was three balls moving away then a couple back in...Rodgers got sucked into playing at one that went away and got caught off the toe end of the bat.
The umpire's gave it not out and the Saffies didnt appeal it so Rodgers survived but the hot spot showed he was out....it was very clear he was moving the ball away with reverse swing and the Rodgers/Steyn battle after lunch was the start of the end as far as I was concerned, once he had it swinging it was game over.
When he bowls around the wicket to the lefties he looks more dangerous than over the wicket, unlike a lot of bowlers he seems to bowl within himself early in the game but increase his pace as the match goes on, I'm not sure our batters have worked that out as apart from being confused by the swing they also seemed late on their shots in the second innings...

Reply #43
I think it's pretty hard for Steyn to get an lbw from around the wicket to a left hander... whereas a right hander is in the gun all the time once it starts reversing....maybe that is what Hogg was getting at?

But that's about it... as Elwood said, he stitched Rogers up just before tea. Was swinging them both ways.