Skip to main content
Topic: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating (Read 55967 times) previous topic - next topic

R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating

So we are officially 1 week away from the opening bounce.

Judd and Carrazzo won't be playing due to injuries.

Some question marks over Walker, Yarran, Gibbs and Henderson who all have niggles but are expected to play.

Will we win??

Re: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating

Reply #1
We'll win by 27 points.

You heard it here first.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #2
Dunno what injuries they have, you would think being over here gives us the upper hand. Always hard to pick the first game and I am normally nervous as hell. All I know is that we must win the first couple and get a good start to the season. We have a a good run at the start, must capitalise.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Anyone going to this game?  Or watching it at home?

Reply #4
Anyone going to this game?  Or watching it at home?

Be watching it from interstate... badly timed work trip!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
What would Port's team be?
B: Broadbent Carlile, Jonas
Hb: O'Shea, Trengove, Pittard
C: Ebert, Boak, Polec
Hf: Wingard, Westhoff, Gray
F: Monfries, Schulz, Butcher
Foll: Lobbe, Wines
Rov: Hartlett
I/c: (from) Cassisi, Cornes, Logan, Moore, Redden, Stewart, White

I wonder what our team will look like?
B: Yarran, Jamison, Tuohy
Hb: Everitt, Watson, Simpson
C: Thomas, McLean, Curnow
Hf: Walker, Henderson, Menzel
F: Garlett, Waite, Kreuzer
Foll: Warnock, Gibbs
Rov: Murphy
I/c: (from) Armfield, Bell, Buckley, Cachia, Ellard, Robinson, Scotland

Reply #6
Port will be a tricky opponent no doubt, they will be brimming with confidence from their performance in the finals last year and will without a doubt come to play. Boy oh boy I really hope we show up for four quarters, anything less and I think they'll roll us. I think we have enough class on the field to account for them but do we have enough hunger and enough heart? Time will tell.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
I'm approaching this opener with some trepidation for sure. Port will be a tough opponent and we need to really go into it with some passion and determination. It'll be interesting to see whether we've got enough of those qualities in us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Hinkley said Gray, Schulz, Carlile and Trengove are all set to be available to play. However, none have played more than 1 half this preseason & Carlile and Trengove haven't played at all. Bringing in 4 underdone players would play into our hands.

Reply #9
I think Schultz may be injured and wont play, this is a home game and one the club would have penciled as a win, Blues by 19 points.....Port are very quick but still young/inexperienced and I dont think their record on the road in Melbourne is that great...if it had been at Port they would have started favourites but I expect us to get the 4 points

Reply #10
They did beat Collingwood in the finals last year in Melbourne EB and got within 3 goals of the Cats the next week. They had a 4-7 record on the road last year and got within a few goals of North and Western Bulldogs. They also beat Sydney and Collingwood at their home ground something we didn't really get close to. Underestimate them at our own peril I say.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
They did beat Collingwood in the finals last year in Melbourne EB and got within 3 goals of the Cats the next week. They had a 4-7 record on the road last year and got within a few goals of North and Western Bulldogs. They also beat Sydney and Collingwood at their home ground something we didn't really get close to. Underestimate them at our own peril I say.

Fair enough Carrots, their record is better than I thought, if we are going to make finals though we cant be dropping home games to teams like Port, .

Reply #12

I wonder what our team will look like?
B: Yarran, Jamison, Tuohy
Hb: Everitt, Watson, Simpson
C: Thomas, McLean, Curnow
Hf: Walker, Henderson, Menzel
F: Garlett, Waite, Kreuzer
Foll: Warnock, Gibbs
Rov: Murphy
I/c: (from) Armfield, Bell, Buckley, Cachia, Ellard, Robinson, Scotland

That is pretty much exactly what I would be hoping to see as well Pratty. Hard to imagine beating Port here would be considered a good win but I think it is. They are in our bracket of teams now and a win will be a very good start to the season imo.

Nothing beats that feeling leading up to rd 1, very excited and nervous!

Reply #13
Port arent the only one with question marks around some of their players. Kruezer and Henderson have had limited pre seasons. Walker, Yarran and Gibbs have injury concerns, and Bell and Maclean sustained injuries against the dogs. I really rate Port and would consider it a great win should we get up.Our build up has been average at best, bit of work still to be done
Eat more chooks

Reply #14
It's a Etihad our home ground...oh wait, yep put down as a loss   :P

I'll wait to see what our team is before making a call as I doubt we will line up anything like we did in the preseason.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........