Skip to main content
Topic: RD 3 : Carlton VS Essendon (After Siren Shrieking) (Read 68493 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 3 : Carlton VS Essendon (After Siren Shrieking)

Reply #225
It's quite ironic that the people that were bemoaning Ratten's inability to get a gun side into a GF are the same ones now saying we don't have the cattle. :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #226
There's only one reason for our current state and it's the abysmal recruiting by the club in the last decade.
The number one picks, Yarran, Judd and Thomas are all very good players and Jamison as a rookie was a good get but the only half decent player we've taken outside the top 10 in the ND in the last decade is Robbo and he's as rough as guts.
It's been a litany of failure, and now we just don't have the cattle.

This.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #227
So, we've blamed the coach, the players, the board, recruitment etc. for last night's tragedy. But, as has been mentioned, i largely believe our failure is due to the club's CULTURE.

Did anyone see how relaxed Bomber T was at half time!? Sure his team was 60+points up, but he was confident of his players; and rightly so.

I believe (call me optimistic/delusional) that we have a great list on paper. Maybe not GF material, but certainly a finals contender! But we lack belief. The supporters lack belief, our players lack belief, our coach always seems frazzled and in dis-belief, our friggin CEO lacks belief in our club and publicly stated so last week!!

Our slogan last year was #BELIEVE. Maybe we need to stop saying and actually doing! When this mindset sinks into EVERYONE'S heads then attack will improve, skill will improve, wins will come and we will be proud to be a part of such a great and historical club.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #228
It's quite ironic that the people that were bemoaning Ratten's inability to get a gun side into a GF are the same ones now saying we don't have the cattle. :))

If you're referring to me PI2C I don't recall ever saying that Ratten had a gun side.
The gravest mistake the club made in recent times was sacking a proven coach in 2007 and appointing someone from the 2nd division of the Eastern Districts league with virtually no senior experience.
It has ended in tears, just as some of us knew that it would.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #229

If you're referring to me PI2C I don't recall ever saying that Ratten had a gun side.
The gravest mistake the club made in recent times was sacking a proven coach in 2007 and appointing someone from the 2nd division of the Eastern Districts league with virtually no senior experience.

You're kidding about Pagan aren't you. Proven? Proven to get us 2 spoons. It's where the bad culture started as we wouldn't try for him. Unfortunately it becomes habit. The coach from the 2nd division of the EDL produced far better results.

Reply #230

Nup wasn't referring to anyone in particular. But you have responded so there must be something there. Not sure where you're going with Pagan though.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #231
Look at the first 20 minutes against Port. Now look at what we produced last night. It's up to the coach to get players playing at their best in a game plan that plays to their strengths. Pagan is too stubborn to drop his dated methodologies.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #232
I was critical of Ratts in the end, especially after the Sydney game in his last year. We looked hopeless and I really thought it was down to him because our list was this fantastic thing that just needed to click fully into gear and a flag would be ours.

I was certainly wrong about the list and maybe at the same time harsh on Ratts in retrospect. He may well rise again to the senior coaching echelons when he completes his education at the Hawks.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #233
There's only one reason for our current state and it's the abysmal recruiting by the club in the last decade.
The number one picks, Yarran, Judd and Thomas are all very good players and Jamison as a rookie was a good get but the only half decent player we've taken outside the top 10 in the ND in the last decade is Robbo and he's as rough as guts.

This.

Go back and have a look at 2005 draft onwards. You will find that there aren't too many players that we would have taken instead of what we picked at the time. Probably, the only one would be the selection of Watson at 20 ahead of, say, Carlisle at 24. It's our player development that is lacking.

Reply #234

This.

Go back and have a look at 2005 draft onwards. You will find that there aren't too many players that we would have taken instead of what we picked at the time. Probably, the only one would be the selection of Watson at 20 ahead of, say, Carlisle at 24. It's our player development that is lacking.

You cant develop rubbish......the footy world knows our recruiting is rubbish,and  we are a laughing stock in terms of list management.
I give development about a 25% effect on where we are now, Hughes/Rodgers/Luke Williams...its a farce and has been for years...

Reply #235

You're kidding about Pagan aren't you. Proven? Proven to get us 2 spoons. It's where the bad culture started as we wouldn't try for him. Unfortunately it becomes habit. The coach from the 2nd division of the EDL produced far better results.

The comparison is ridiculous.
Pagan delisted 17 players at the end of his first season and only Simon Fletcher was picked up, and he played about half a dozen games for Richmond.
That's how bad our list was and we had no draft picks or money, anyone who expected other than wooden spoons back then was living in a fool's paradise.
The bad culture started long before Pagan came to Carlton, we paid a wooden spoon team $2 million over the salary cap remember, but the quick fix mentality has persisted, first by sacking Pagan and now with Malthouse.
The best we can hope for is that the club has learned from its mistakes and that Malthouse is given the time and resources to do the job, but the damage has been so extensive that it will be a long and painful process and I don't think the club or supporters have the bottle for it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #236

Other clubs did fine out of the drafts so I don't really get what you mean.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #237

This.

North Melbourne drafted their current Captain at pick 43 in 2005, we took Paul Bower at pick 20 and Jake Edwards at 36.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course but the number of duds we've drafted in the last ten years just can't be a fluke.

Reply #238
@B4L

How can you possibly compare the two sides. Pagan at least had some excuse, Milkshake has none. He has plenty to work with.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #239
It was certainly the worst loss I’ve been involved in,
Jamo

Coming from a bloke who has seen two other coaches and played in a much weaker squad than the one last night and plenty of very ugly losses.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-defender-michael-jamison-says-blues-have-let-down-club-and-supporters-with-loss/story-fni5f5nx-1226876610265
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........