Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs. North Melbourne (Read 26566 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs. North Melbourne

Reply #195
Agree with most of this GTC, however you left out one premiership coach who is available ATM, Paul Roos.
I forgot to add one pre requisite, No Paul Roos. I dont like him, he hates Carlton and I dont think his heart is in it. I dont think he would agree to my pre requisite number 1 where he would need to work with our list strategy already in place.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #196
If I've got my numbers correct, Bolton has coached us in 76 games and won 17 of them. That's a winning ratio of just over 22%. If we win say another 4 games for the season, that will still be his winning ratio after 4 years at the helm. Will the Board stick with him again in 2020?

Reply #197
If I've got my numbers correct, Bolton has coached us in 76 games and won 17 of them. That's a winning ratio of just over 22%. If we win say another 4 games for the season, that will still be his winning ratio after 4 years at the helm. Will the Board stick with him again in 2020?
Probably yes because when you look at history, successful teams have stuck with their coaches for much longer during their formative years they didnt start from the low base Bolts has. I would rather follow the lead of successful club than repeat our retched recent history. Having said that, I doubt very much the powers that be will say "Bolts is good bloke, lets stick with him". Similarly, they wont say "4 wins from 39 starts, lets sack him". Somewhere in between all that, they will have KPIs set up for him which consider a multitude of factors and its those KPIs that will determine his future.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #198
Probably yes because when you look at history, successful teams have stuck with their coaches for much longer during their formative years they didnt start from the low base Bolts has. I would rather follow the lead of successful club than repeat our retched recent history. Having said that, I doubt very much the powers that be will say "Bolts is good bloke, lets stick with him". Similarly, they wont say "4 wins from 39 starts, lets sack him". Somewhere in between all that, they will have KPIs set up for him which consider a multitude of factors and its those KPIs that will determine his future.

They don't have a 4 from 39 record 4th year in either. Dogs swapped in similar circumstances and won a flag.

Reply #199

If the board look at what we did in our first season under Bolton to decipher if its worth keeping him in 2020, then the board should go.

Its not about where we were. Its about where we are (likely) going.

We took a hit early, we've turned over a full list worth of players in the time Bolton has been at the club. It takes time for that list to work out
1. What is required under Bolton
2. What their teammates can and can't do
3. What is their role within the team.

Now, the first part should come relatively quickly.
The second part is ever changing and will grow more and more the more times they play together.
The third part would be everchanging up to this point given how much the list has been turned over.

eg. Weitering. Defender.....forward(?)....defender....swingman....defender! All that has happened in 4 years. Only now are we starting to see him get settled and belong.
Even an experienced veteran like daisy has been moved to all corners of the ground not only during his time at the club, but during the course of a year, and even during a game. Hard to get settled that way.

The players need to play together.

Reply #200
The players need to show they are proud to wear a Carlton jumper.

Or f... off.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #201
Had very little influence on the outcome of the game. When it comes to finding excuses for poor performances our files have every known justification known to humankind and beyond!

As was reported by one of the boundary riders in the media who was at the game, he said you could see the fire in the belly in the Kangaby players, it was palpable, and as soon as they hit our blokes we 'backed away'. Dawks applied heat in the 3rd qtr and we 'backed away'... and so the story goes. That's who we are and who we have been for a long time.

Our problems are solely above the shoulders.

We fielded a team which included 14 players with 50 games or less AFL experience.

We were without Kruezer, Simmo, Newman - key players in our team

We lost Jones for half the game

We debuted Stocker and played willow. Stocker was nowhere near AFL ready and Willo had llittle or no match fitness.

Im not happy about the general lack of heart shown by the team and the loss overall, however, those points I've raised are not excuses, but fact and had a significant bearing on the result.

Reply #202
Im not happy about the general lack of heart shown by the team and the loss overall, however, those points I've raised are not excuses, but fact and had a significant bearing on the result.

BluesRock, if most of our kids had taken on the Norp big bodies to show a bit of attitude, we would have been the losers!

We really needed guys like Phillips, Plowman, Marchbank and Casboult to be far more physical and intimidating, they are just too easy to play against. They have size that they fail to utilise week after week!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #203
We fielded a team which included 14 players with 50 games or less AFL experience.

We were without Kruezer, Simmo, Newman - key players in our team

We lost Jones for half the game

We debuted Stocker and played willow. Stocker was nowhere near AFL ready and Willo had llittle or no match fitness.

Ticker (attitude/endeavour/guts/passion) does not know about nor care about age or experience. Look at Walsh.

If Kreuzer, Simpson and Newman are the difference between a hiding and winning... god help us.

Kangabies also lost a key defender... earlier than we did.

As for Stocker and Williamson... mates played with a poor attitude so you can't judge them at all, that kind of p1ss weak attitude goes through a side like a pandemic flu.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #204
Ticker (attitude/endeavour/guts/passion) does not know about nor care about age or experience. Look at Walsh.

Baggers, Walsh isn't close to the meat hammer some fans are after, and at the moment under license from the MC he is mostly unaccountable for his direct opponent. It's highly unlikely he'll be a Selwood type, or a Judd type, but maybe he's going to be our Paul Kelly!

As much as I love Cripps, I doubt Selwood would standby and let Ziebell and Cunnington intimidate and beat up on the kids like they did, Selwood doesn't give a stuff about Brownlows and being your buddy! I appreciate we must be careful, because if we start too much of that shizen we just do not have the team to back it up!

I've liked fragments of Setterfield, he has some presence around the stoppages.

I'm not going to talk about the others like Phillips and Levi, as they look like a lost cause!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #205

If Kreuzer, Simpson and Newman are the difference between a hiding and winning... god help us.

I never said they are the difference. logically, their absence given our team makeup/profile/age/ has a significant impact.

Kangabies also lost a key defender... earlier than we did.

Kangaroos have a much more experienced line up overall and it was only one key player. incuding jones we had 4, so your point is moot.

As for Stocker and Williamson... mates played with a poor attitude so you can't judge them at all, that kind of p1ss weak attitude goes through a side like a pandemic flu.

Are you saying they played with a poor attitude? Maybe. but my point was neither should have been selected. Fact is the players we have out and the lack of depth we have available to cover them made it necessary to play these guys. They certainly werent in the category of like for like in regards to who we have out injured.