Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Thread: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 12040 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Thread: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #15
The defence is going to be very hard to select soon in regards to the talls. Levi's surprising there, Jones to come back, Weitering flying, Marchbank way better last week with his intercept marking, Goddard really smashing it in the VFL and more than deserves a game.

Weitering------->Jones--------------------------------->Marchbank, Levi------->Goddard

Levi was good when he spoiled or marked, but when the ball hits the deck he's a traffic cone compared to Jones or Weitering, anything else is just guilding the lilly!

If Levi can stay in form he'll get a run as permanent 2nd Ruck and backup KPD, he should be part of our hold and slow mode of play and only stay defensive side of the football while SpecialK has a breather!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Weitering might be a better player but he can't handle the guys Jones can just yet.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #17
Weitering might be a better player but he can't handle the guys Jones can just yet.
This is a good problem to be debating, we have two outstanding defenders there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18

But in most other aspects of the game Weitering is a mile ahead! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Weitering------->Jones--------------------------------->Marchbank, Levi------->Goddard

Levi was good when he spoiled or marked, but when the ball hits the deck he's a traffic cone compared to Jones or Weitering, anything else is just guilding the lilly!

If Levi can stay in form he'll get a run as permanent 2nd Ruck and backup KPD, he should be part of our hold and slow mode of play and only stay defensive side of the football while SpecialK has a breather!

Goddard's an interesting one. He is really killing it in the VFL. Like Kerr, there's no spot for him, which is a good sign.

Maybe Jones on a wing where he can run around killing people like he did as a ruck in the VFL. Looked like another midfielder in that role and a dangerous one.

Reply #20
Correct, Goddard has looked extremely comfortable and gaining more confidence every week. Pick 20 in his draft 6’6” in the old, solidly built and only 12 months older than Weitering.  I think he could eventually be one of the very good left field picks of last year’s draft

He’s a genuine marking defender while Levi is a great mark but still very raw regarding much more in terms of defender know how. Maybe Levi might have some genuine currency at the end of the year??

Reply #21
I heard an interview with Goddard on the radio just after her was delisted from StK last year.
He just had an unlucky run with injuries over his 4 years there that meant he struggled to break into the team, despite some good form along the way.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-24/for-goddards-sake-why-isnt-this-saint-picked

I think he has the talent to be a solid defender, and is still young enough to improve on that.
I'd like to see him get a few games this year to test him out at AFL level.

Reply #22
I heard an interview with Goddard on the radio just after her was delisted from StK last year.
He just had an unlucky run with injuries over his 4 years there that meant he struggled to break into the team, despite some good form along the way.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-24/for-goddards-sake-why-isnt-this-saint-picked

I think he has the talent to be a solid defender, and is still young enough to improve on that.
I'd like to see him get a few games this year to test him out at AFL level.

We've too many already, if he's restoring his career maybe he is a trade option to help us get a ruckmen?

I can't see us trading Levi until we have a ruck backup, and I doubt we'd trade Jones or Weitering.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
We've too many already, if he's restoring his career maybe he is a trade option to help us get a ruckmen?

I can't see us trading Levi until we have a ruck backup, and I doubt we'd trade Jones or Weitering.

Given our age demographics, it makes more sense to trade the one with higher perceived value at the trade table and keep the developing Goddard on slow heat.

He can come along a little bit later and no one will worry whilst he builds continuity in his game.

Its a really nice option to have.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
We could also look at possibly another role for Jones, especially with his size and level of athleticism.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25
Given our age demographics, it makes more sense to trade the one with higher perceived value at the trade table and keep the developing Goddard on slow heat.

He can come along a little bit later and no one will worry whilst he builds continuity in his game.

Its a really nice option to have.

Year by year, if we keep postponing player development and trading away experience looking for something better we are burning Cripps career!

I've no confidence in our player development, it seems the players we have that make progress do so in spite of our club's efforts not because of those efforts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Goddard's problem is lack of mobility.  If he can overcome that he is ahead of Cas as a defender but Cas has him for versatility.  Whilst we have an excess of tall defenders Cas has the benefit of being able to play forward or take a spell in the ruck which puts him in good stead.  The other one in this category is Jones who has far greater mobility.

I would be inclined to trial Jones as a forward and relief ruck on his return, if that isn't working play him down back again in which case probably Cas has to go or go forward.

Reply #27
I would be inclined to trial Jones as a forward and relief ruck on his return, if that isn't working play him down back again in which case probably Cas has to go or go forward.

Just cannot see us ever running Jones, McKay, McGovern and Charlie forward, we already look too top heavy when Cripps or Kreuzer float forward!

A big problem for a tall forward line at the moment is the lack of crumbing goals coming from our mids, they really need to push forward and score if the tall forward setup is to be successful.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Year by year, if we keep postponing player development and trading away experience looking for something better we are burning Cripps career!

I've no confidence in our player development, it seems the players we have that make progress do so in spite of our club's efforts not because of those efforts!

That's why we trade one of Jones or casboult and keep Goddard.

Goddard is depth not demanding first team football and gives us what Levi gives us in a younger package.

It means we can keep Jones and weitering as first preference and have Goddard for depth.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
Goddard's problem is lack of mobility.  If he can overcome that he is ahead of Cas as a defender but Cas has him for versatility.  Whilst we have an excess of tall defenders Cas has the benefit of being able to play forward or take a spell in the ruck which puts him in good stead.  The other one in this category is Jones who has far greater mobility.

My thoughts too, you watch Goddard and he can only run in a straight line, good mark and kick but no allround mobility.
Jones would make a good old fashioned follower and be shock value as a ruckman/onballer....
IMO we work better down forward when its just McKay and Charlie, even McGovern over crowds things and we have more space when he is up the ground IMO...