Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 11: Northern Blues vs. Footscray at Ikon (Read 6673 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 11: Northern Blues vs. Footscray at Ikon

Reply #45
This thread has really turned dark. It appears to me that the haters on this site are frustrated by the improved performances of carlton and have turned their ire towards the northern blues. Calling players oxygen thieves and cancers is disgraceful and people should have a good hard look at themselves, particularly when these comments are directed at first year player.
I have Lang down as a fail but I notice he is in our best players. I also don't understand why there is no positive comments about Owies 5 goals and the performance of Jack.
I read the threads on the northern blues to get some idea on how the players are developing as I cant get to these games not to read the rantings of the disaffected.

I get what the Prof is saying that he doesnt want lack of effort and bad habits spreading through the team especially to younger players, we are long time Blues/Bullants supporters and lack of effort is something that we both find very frustrating. On the other thread I did say oxygen thieves was probably a but harsh but watching players not making any effort regardless of age or size isnt acceptable when you pull on a Carlton jumper, chasing/tackling is something any player can do regardless if you are Tom Wilson or Ben Silvagni. Ben jogged after Rueben William from the Dogs like he couldnt be bothered and that got me annoyed as he is a senior listed Carlton player who should be thinking how lucky am I to be playing the game and having the opportunities I have but like his TAC form he realy just switches on and off when he likes. I did comment that his brother Jack is the opposite, gives great effort and works hard to earn his right each week to pull on the jumper and I also said that young Owies gets better each week  and plays with intensity like he really wants to be an AFL footballer and doesnt just expect it just to happen which unfortunately Ben does.
If Ben had played for the old Preston with a coach like Harold Martin he would have been dragged and told exactly what was required , his attitude needs to change if he wants to make a career in the AFL.

Reply #46
 An 18 year old has a bad game and you start personally abusing him. My understanding is that for a late 70's pick, he has been going okay in his first year of senior football.

Reply #47
An 18 year old has a bad game and you start personally abusing him. My understanding is that for a late 70's pick, he has been going okay in his first year of senior football.

I criticized his lack of effort along with Darcy Lang and probably chose the wrong phrase ie oxygen thief...my mistake but that doesnt excuse lack of effort.
Why does being a pick 70 excuse you from chasing a player running into goal? Lack of four quarter application was his problem at TAC and he was very lucky to get drafted in the end, did you ever actually watch him play?

Reply #48
Lack of effort has been a thing I have always measured a players potential. Sure skills are a fantastic thing, but without effort and real work ethic, you are very limited to your true game contribution. We have seen these types come and go at the club.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #49
It's a no-win situation for the club, long term it will take a minor management miracle to keep both SOS and his boys at the club! I've no confidence!

It's the elephant in the room and the potential issues were obvious from the start;

- If SOS get s the sack but we want to keep the kids.
 - If the kids are no good but we want to keep SOS.
 - If one kid is a keeper and the other not.
 - Whenever some other past-players kid gets snubbed!

It's a minefield or player and fan disengagement!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
And you think it wouldn't lead to fan disengagement to let Jack go to Essendon?  Or to a lesser extent to let Ben slide?

Reply #51
And you think it wouldn't lead to fan disengagement to let Jack go to Essendon?  Or to a lesser extent to let Ben slide?

Did I write that, I thought I wrote no-win?

Let's say they are NBG but they don't want t to leave, or we want to keep their old man, what would you do then?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
It's a no-win situation for the club, long term it will take a minor management miracle to keep both SOS and his boys at the club! I've no confidence!

It's the elephant in the room and the potential issues were obvious from the start;

- If SOS get s the sack but we want to keep the kids.
 - If the kids are no good but we want to keep SOS.
 - If one kid is a keeper and the other not.
 - Whenever some other past-players kid gets snubbed!

It's a minefield or player and fan disengagement!

Nah its fine.

Jack will get to 100 games easily enough and irrespective of how long it takes him, he has a role at our footy club.  The recruitment of McGovern flies in the face of him showing favourtism to his boys as he has chosen to take a player who should push Jack out of the team, but Jack appears the better option (at the moment).

If Ben doesnt pull his socks up, delisting beckons.

If SOS is unhappy with either of those scenarios, he can feck off too.

At the end of the day, it only becomes a problem if we want it to be one.  Currently Stephen is the blue chip performer of all of them and if parting ways with dad means Jack wants to leave Carlton given his potential, and his current ability we should take or leave him accordingly.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
At the end of the day, it only becomes a problem if we want it to be one.  Currently Stephen is the blue chip performer of all of them and if parting ways with dad means Jack wants to leave Carlton given his potential, and his current ability we should take or leave him accordingly.

I don't disagree with you, but it's never so quick or clean, and I'm not confident in our current admin to handle it properly if it comes about!

Look at today's rumors, bogus as they may be, if Coniglio was headed for Carlton, even if it's the sMurph, Simmo, Ed retirement that funds it, he's not in competition with Polson, SPS or O'Brien. The blokes in the gun are the likes of SoJ, Kennedy and Setterfield, and at the moment Setterfield seems to have the others covered.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Did I write that, I thought I wrote no-win?

Fair enough.  I wasn't actually having a shot at you, but I can see how it could be interpreted.

Let's say they are NBG but they don't want t to leave, or we want to keep their old man, what would you do then?

Thry has answered that one pretty well, but vis a vis your comment about Jack wanting to leave if Dad goes I think he is Blue through and through and if he goes elsewhere it will because we push him out - and he deserves his spot on the list without question at the moment.

Reply #55
Thry has answered that one pretty well, but vis a vis your comment about Jack wanting to leave if Dad goes I think he is Blue through and through and if he goes elsewhere it will because we push him out - and he deserves his spot on the list without question at the moment.

Agree and he was stiff to be dropped for the last game.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #56
Agree and he was stiff to be dropped for the last game.
Very stiff, but great to see he reacted in the right way by tearing it up in the 2s (and he DID tear it up).

Reply #57
I'm going to be very disappointed if he doesn't come back for the next game

Reply #58
Got himself a decent pension and some free travel for the rest of his life....and been a setback for his country in terms of dance style.
Plus approved 2 uranium mines as Federal Environment Minister
Gives new definition to the 10 to 1 album