Skip to main content
Topic: GM to dump Holden (Read 27122 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GM to dump Holden

Reply #90
Spoke to an engineer from Nissan a month or so ago and he said they won't be making petrol engines in 2027. Reckons most other car makers are going the same way.

Mate of mine has just bought a hybrid and I was given an opportunity to drivr it. A bit different to my car but soon got used to its quirks. A pretty seamless transition really. Not sure what full electric would be like.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #91
Mate of mine has just bought a hybrid and I was given an opportunity to drivr it. A bit different to my car but soon got used to its quirks. A pretty seamless transition really. Not sure what full electric would be like.

Quiet ????

I would miss the rumble of my turbo diesel V8.

I should add that I have just planted 600 trees ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #92
Quiet ????

I would miss the rumble of my turbo diesel V8.

I should add that I have just planted 600 trees ????

Wow - Nissan Leaf pfffft! ;)

Reply #94
If I was going EV it would be Tesla, miles ahead tech wise but still not cheap...

EB I would not buy an EV or a hybrid unless there was no other option. A carefully selected used  Lexus still makes a lot of sense to fill my need.

Reply #95
If I was going EV it would be Tesla, miles ahead tech wise but still not cheap...

We get gouged on price here, Tesla's have almost 150% mark-up compared to the UK!

My mate in London bought two Model X 100D for his business and spent not much more than we can buy just one!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
We get gouged on price here, Tesla's have almost 150% mark-up compared to the UK!

My mate in London bought two Model X 100D for his business and spent not much more than we can buy just one!

Gouged on price?

But we have a free trade agreement and the government says that’s to our advantage  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #97
Holden finally axed in Aus, been a disgraceful car dealer for a while now offering woeful service/backup and their management is about as bad as it gets. Pity anyone who has bought a new Holden recently because its going to be worth peanuts, feel for their workers but their management like I said is terrible and they have been dishing up re-badged rubbish product for years now and its no surprise since I started this thread a while back that they have pulled the plug.
Ford will be next......another shocker for service and backup and like Holden have a large list of complaints with the ACCC every year.

Reply #98
Holden finally axed in Aus, been a disgraceful car dealer for a while now offering woeful service/backup and their management is about as bad as it gets. Pity anyone who has bought a new Holden recently because its going to be worth peanuts, feel for their workers but their management like I said is terrible and they have been dishing up re-badged rubbish product for years now and its no surprise since I started this thread a while back that they have pulled the plug.
Ford will be next......another shocker for service and backup and like Holden have a large list of complaints with the ACCC every year.
Yes, I try hard to discourage people considering Ford or Holden, at the office we switched over to the Japanese a few years back, trucks, light commercials and cars, we won't be going back to the GM or Ford rubbish. I use to like them because you could fix-em yourself, a bit of a hobby since the days of EH straight motors, but then I realised you had to keep fixing-em yourself because they were always forken broken!

If you want even worse than GM or Ford buy a RAM or Jeep! I can't believe how shoddy some of their stuff is, God Bless America! I've mates who bought RAM just in recent times, mostly to tow big boats or floats, all have off-loaded them, so many weird electrical problems, like they were designed with a CAN Bus by a guy who knows nothing about CAN Bus! One of them had such a weird problem, his day job is running a small excavator that he tows about behind a truck, had the trailer for years. The truck was being serviced so he hooked it up to the RAM, and the cars indicators and electronics went into backwards overdrive, left was right and right was left! The RAM people blamed the trailer! In the end he discovered some weird wiring loom work, apparently something they had done during the LHD/RHD conversion(Not even required just a feck up), and he thought enough was enough!

My son joked about buying one of the new Corvettes, I had to slap some sense into him! These things rattle themselves to bits on the smooth concrete highways of the Southern USA, they've no forking chance here on a corrugated back-road! It'd be like a scene from Looney Tunes with the car disintegrating around you as you slowly ground to a halt!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
Yes, I try hard to discourage people considering Ford or Holden, at the office we switched over to the Japanese a few years back, trucks, light commercials and cars, we won't be going back to the GM or Ford rubbish.

If you want even worse than GM or Ford buy a RAM or Jeep!
Had my say on Jeep/Dodge/Fiat etc....just a laughable company group......RAM's🤣 a post ww2 trabi would be more reliable and have less bits falling of it due to failed welds etc.
About 10-12 decent car brands in Aus, the rest are rubbish...

Reply #100
Had my say on Jeep/Dodge/Fiat etc....just a laughable company group......RAM's🤣 a post ww2 trabi would be more reliable and have less bits falling of it due to failed welds etc.
About 10-12 decent car brands in Aus, the rest are rubbish...
btw., Anyone buying 2nd hand at the moment be very careful, especially in the Southern states. They are flooding the market with what seems to be greats deals, but they are write-offs from Qld/NT floods a year or two back. They look great after dipping and painting, but inside the skin and sub-frame they'll be rusting faster than cheese can grow mold. You won't have to take a colander when you go camping in a year or so, you can just strain the veges through the tray! If you have a side impact collision they'll be able to pile the pieces into a small box and courier them home for you!

Get on the Gov website and check out the VIN history before handing over a single cent, if it states "Write-off - Water" run away, run far away!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/motoring/motoring-news/jeep-wrangler-rolls-twice-during-safety-tests/news-story/8578e226261bbbfe679871941e459b7a

Glad its the test car rolling with dummies in it and not real people, those deathtraps shouldnt be allowed on the road in Australia and Jeep need to get their act together.
More Jeep comedy gold...
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/jeep-aims-for-50000-aussie-sales-122040/
Jeep sold around 5520 units in Aus in 2019......🤔

Reply #103
Glad its the test car rolling with dummies in it and not real people, those deathtraps shouldnt be allowed on the road in Australia and Jeep need to get their act together.
More Jeep comedy gold...
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/jeep-aims-for-50000-aussie-sales-122040/
Jeep sold around 5520 units in Aus in 2019......🤔

Never been a Jeep fan but they do seem quite capable off road as I witnessed on a trip to the Simpson Desert a few years ago. However on a later trip to the Canning Stock Route the sobering sight of a burnt out Wrangler sticks in my mind, a victim of the notorious Spinifex, which is highly flammable.

Reply #104
Downright dangerous ... very unstable