Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 48048 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #195
With the kids I really want to see more pressure. SPS laid an equal team high of 7, but half our team laid 14 tackles between - that is just unacceptable in modern footy and that has nothing to do with skill, and everything to do with mindset.

Tackling is a definite area we need to improve.
Note: 2 doggies players each laid 14 tackles tonight.

Agree Martin should Not have been allowed to run amock, worst incident was when he rag dolled  Casboult a much bigger and heavier opponent.
I'm not advocating vindictive or spiteful play but he should have been sat on his bum during that incident. Not good of team moral.

Reply #196
My main response to that game was 1 of disappointment..... at the lack of intensity.

I wanted to see us have a red hot crack at it, it looked more like we were only running on 3 cylinders. The most damning stat was 88 tackles to 67, Richmond's way. That just simply isn't good enough. It doesn't require talent, or experience to have a crack, just get in there and have a go. 

I would loved to have heard a question along these lines directed at Bolton in the post game presser!
For me, this is the 1st thing that needs to be addressed. We will never win a game against anyone with the lack of intensity that we showed against the Tigers, it wouldn't matter how much talent we put out there.

And we did have some Talent!

It was nice to have the captain back, Murph is a very classy player, with ball in hand.

SPS is going to be a joy to watch! Only small glimpses last night really, but looking forward to much more!

Pickett is also going to be exciting to watch. I'm really hoping that he can build a tank and be able to play through the midfield and not just up forward.

Marchbank and Plowman will make a great tandem team for many years.

Macreadie didn't do a lot, But I saw a couple of nice things, he didn't look overawed.

I didn't see Smedts do anything outstanding, but I thought he went ok.

Weitering up forward was no surprise, 3 goals was a good return, he is just a quality player, who will always be hard to shut down for a whole game.

SOS is just a pure footballer, great to watch, I wish we had more like him! Maybe we will soon enough!

I was disappointed with Charlie Curnow, he didn't hit the scoreboard as a forward, and lacked possessions for a mid. Not entirely sure what his role was, but he somehow needs to find ways to get more involved. 5 tackles was better than many of his team mates though!

Rowe was good, I felt sorry for him when I think it was Caddy kicked that grubber goal on him.

Kreuzer had a great game, his 2nd efforts are just amazing! And 1 of his chases down the wing put many of our other mids to shame!!

Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #197
With the kids I really want to see more pressure. SPS laid an equal team high of 7, but half our team laid 14 tackles between - that is just unacceptable in modern footy and that has nothing to do with skill, and everything to do with mindset.

Hear, hear!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #198
Murphy was a bit underdone and got caught & brutally gang-tackled a few times..I reckon that inflated the Tigers tackle stats in my view.

We also lacked a 'road block' at CHB to stop and repel the constant Richmond leads into that area... yet another strategic failure of Boltons. It's unforgivable that Martin did not have a direct opponent for most of the night. Our midfield is just unaccountable and too light-weight for the modern game. You need a few wrecking-ball types !

Reply #199
Positives
Sammo soaked up a mountain of pressure and looked good before a bit of a fade.
Pickett flashes of great. Can't wait till he builds up his tank.
McCreadie was good, reads it well. Some muscle and he'll hold his own.
Smedts was good in patches. Looked like he moved well. Expect his improvement to increase quickly.
Marchbank and Weiters  ????????
Crippa got through unscathed. Will be better for the run.
Sam Rowe and Kruez were solid. Looked to give 100%
Daisy kicked longer and offered more in general. Maybe that ankle's better.
Plowman was solid. He'll continue to improve.

As others noted, (quite) a few of our seniors didn't perform as we hoped. Obviously we can't expect to win under those conditions.

In all, the youngsters had a great hit out. Their learning now begins.
Great post, agreed

Reply #200
Smedts was fine.  He didn't Kerridge the ball for one and did some neat things by hand.

Did he get enough of the ball, no. But he showed reasonable composure in traffic and is only just getting back into the swing of AFL.
couldn't agree more, i'd rather Smedts being a little cautious than Kerridge who is an athlete at best. I'd honestly only play Kerridge as a tagger or a forward. Needs to be given a job and i'd like to see him kick some snags, he's shown at the crows that he can kick goals.

Reply #201
Things I learnt tonight:

- We picked up a 10year player in Caleb Marchbank
- GWS have directly and indirectly gifted us a very promising backline (Marchbank, Plowman and Macreadie)
- Once SPS is match fit he's going to light up our games
- Weitering will rarely be sighted in defence this year, and that's ok
- Our forward line actually shows promise (pity the delivery into it is scarce)
- Thomas won't hit his quota for a new contract
- Jack is a chip off the old block. Knows how to position himself and will only get better
- This is going to be a long season, full of mistakes, but the foundation for the future is really starting to take shape
- Next draft we need to stock up on as many A Grade midfielders as we can get our hands on
Love it  ;)

Reply #202
Nailed it tragic, well said mate.

Some of the commentary here is ridiculous, apparently we are further from a premiership after last night. We are blooding young kids, ALL who showed something last night (inc curnow) and when was the last time we could say that?

Everyone expected we couldn't find goals, but looked the most coherent heading towards goal for several years. Unexpectedly it was our backs that crapped themselves and coughed up at least 5-6.

The difference with this crop of youngsters is they take the game on and will no doubt learn from the experience.

Like I said elsewhere, Bolton could easily have move weitering back, and played loose men back but how does that help in our development? Playing players in their positions, sprinkled with some experience is the best way for them to learn their role, their limitations and capabilities.

So whilst it was a disappointing loss, there was enough in it for me to walk away feeling content that we are on the right track. Much patience will be required.
Like.
Last year was all about defence, which we did well. This year its about learning to attack more, whilst trying to still have a stingy team defence.
We'll get scored against a lot more heavily this year given our need to learn to attack more.

Reply #203

Cant tackle what you cant catch.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #204
Murphy was a bit underdone and got caught & brutally gang-tackled a few times.

He was also regularly dumped off the ball, which led to an attempt at revenge in the 3rd quarter when he tried to return the favour only to bounce off and suffer significantly more than his opponent. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

Reply #205

Spot on. Big difference between early 2016 and this match was the absence of Carlton players closing down opponents as soon as or before they received the ball.

By contrast, the Tigers were preemptive in closing down the Carlton players who looked like they might be in line to receive the ball - which is what our players were doing last year.

Reply #206
I don't reckon it has got much to do with speed - Doc, Daisy, Smedts, SOJ all had one tackle.

2 guys on debut in SPS and Macreadie made nearly 20% of the teams tackles - think about that for a second. Tackling is about intent, and too many of our guys stand back or get brushed aside too easily. I don't see how a lack of speed impacts your ability to make and stick tackles.

Reply #207
Spot on. Big difference between early 2016 and this match was the absence of Carlton players closing down opponents as soon as or before they received the ball.

By contrast, the Tigers were preemptive in closing down the Carlton players who looked like they might be in line to receive the ball - which is what our players were doing last year.
Agree RR, they closed the space around he ball holder very well. We seemed to sag off more and keep a greater distance giving them more time effectively. They were manic at pressuring the man with the ball, we were not. Again, this all comes with getting games into the young fellas.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #208
I don't reckon it has got much to do with speed - Doc, Daisy, Smedts, SOJ all had one tackle.

2 guys on debut in SPS and Macreadie made nearly 20% of the teams tackles - think about that for a second. Tackling is about intent, and too many of our guys stand back or get brushed aside too easily. I don't see how a lack of speed impacts your ability to make and stick tackles.
Spot on, I wasnt suggesting it was due to lack of speed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #209

Right there sbf.

Both those boys had a red-hot go.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.