Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 33534 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #60
Was at our first live game this year and was mostly impressed that they kept the Presssure up Consistently except the beginning of the second.

Thought SPS did a few I twrcepts etc in the 3rd and 4th that really highlighted his importance.

Loved the look of Dow and O’Briend.

Even tho Graham made some errors, he was everywhere, hard worker and is almost there AFL elite wise, just needs to tighten up.  Kerridge and lamb too.

CC is exciting.

Harry has the X factor

Agree, Charlie is good and will be an exceptional talent but young Harry is also very much one to watch. I am very excited by him just quietly. Also liked what I saw in young Lachie O'Brien today too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
Also spent a very entertaining hour in bomberland....

Delusional in spades.

Vicious farkers too.......

I suspect most of that is down to poor moderators. We're lucky on CSC that we have good people keeping an eye on things.

Keep up the good work mods.

Reply #63
Agree, Charlie is good and will be an exceptional talent but young Harry is also very much one to watch. I am very excited by him just quietly. Also liked what I saw in young Lachie O'Brien today too.

I was sceptical about Harry as he had not done enough to get an AFL call up IMO.

But he has grabbed his chance and is showing us what we had all hoped to see.
 L O'B will be very good.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #64
I was sceptical about Harry as he had not done enough to get an AFL call up IMO.

But he has grabbed his chance and is showing us what we had all hoped to see.
 L O'B will be very good.

He has all the tools but is still a fade in fade out player at the moment.

It's why they were taking their time selecting him.

Yesterday he kicked his first goal then disappeared for a bit, before getting involved again.

That's fine for a developing key position player.  He probably is still going to have a hard time competing with strong key position defenders.   Yesterday when we were locked in defensive fifty in the second/third quarters we kept looking for an outlet and he wasn't giving us one because he was outbodied a little too easily and we were feeling casboults absence.

He has the ability to be that get out kick and take a big pack mark at half back that the others just don't have right now.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
We really should be concentrating on the positives from our side but it probably is a positive that we won the physical contest...

I've been having a think about it and I don't think I can recall a more physically weak performance from an Essendon side than we saw yesterday.

They were monstered by a group of young'uns...and a middle aged Jed Lamb ;D

You have to wonder how they really feel about Goddard given the lack of support he received.
It probably goes deeper than just the physicality...they're a club that looks like it's got a case of the dreaded..."internal strife"

Reply #66
From an Essendon point of view, I just wonder what influence it has on a playing group to recruit a guy on very, very good money who has a more than dubious moral character ( I’m sure the wives and girlfriends have immediately warmed to him!) and the only string to his bow is getting a cheap kick and trying to do the impossible. I’m glad we have a no di@khead policy, because they can be poison.

Reply #67
H, LOB and Paddy Dow get better every game. Lamb was relentless with BJ yesterday. Kruze the extra mid yesterday was huge. The teams tackling and intimidation of Essenscum was first rate from the opening bounce to the final siren. Cripps? Nuff said.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #68
To me, it looks like Harry has pure confidence in himself - which is what we need!  We need the guy that struts around and then backs himself to kick out of 50m on the run and get it through!  We don't need more guys double guessing what they can do.

O'Brien and Dow really filled me with confidence too - they just seemed right.

How good was Matty Wright, little tough nut!  Yes he's not elite, but he's a good tough little player - he was telling Harry to stand on the mark when EFC went for that goal after the siren - he was directing traffic!  Fantastic to see someone given an opportunity and doing their best!

SPS is SO important to us.  He wasn't great early but perservered and really was instrumental in some plays.

God I love Kruezer - he deserves every bit we pay him - his second third fourth efforts, if they could all do what he does, we will be on track!

Reply #69
Watching the Fox reply, loved this bit of commentary on Crippa:
"Some players can smell the footy coming, Cripps can smell it coming from the factory". ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
I liked this one from their match thread

"I want to punch every one of our players in the genitals"

Reply #72
We really should be concentrating on the positives from our side but it probably is a positive that we won the physical contest...

I've been having a think about it and I don't think I can recall a more physically weak performance from an Essendon side than we saw yesterday.

You have to wonder how they really feel about Goddard given the lack of support he received.
It probably goes deeper than just the physicality...they're a club that looks like it's got a case of the dreaded..."internal strife"

Ed C just obliterated Zach Merrett who ended up with less than 20 disposals. He was just all over him for most of the time. Just one example.

Reply #73
@ MickeyO

Spot on observation on Harry. We were saying at the game how he oozes confidence in himself and is not in the least overawed. A cool operator for sure and hopefully he continues to improve.

Reply #74

Bit of perspective...Essendon would have the softest mids in the comp...Parish, Merrett, Zaharakis, Heppell.......it was more like the Von Trapps menacing the Brady Bunch.....you take Cripps out of our midfield and we would have come back to the field in a real hurry.  Bombers are not the old Sheedy bombers anymore...not much fight or spite.......Goddard didnt bother to fight back vs Lamb at all, he is over it and I expect a media career at the end of season for him.
We won the game but still have plenty of problems, a lot of our players looked good vs feeble opposition IMO.....you look at BomberBlitz and the common theme was weak hearted effort from the EFC....