Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 33565 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #75
@ EB

I guess we enjoy the win but not get too carried away. We did manage to bully the Bummers in a way that won't be possible v most other teams. Good morale booster nevertheless.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
@ EB

I guess we enjoy the win but not get too carried away. We did manage to bully the Bummers in a way that won't be possible v most other teams. Good morale booster nevertheless.

Not getting too high, not getting too low.

Reply #77
Bit of perspective...Essendon would have the softest mids in the comp...Parish, Merrett, Zaharakis, Heppell.......it was more like the Von Trapps menacing the Brady Bunch.....you take Cripps out of our midfield and we would have come back to the field in a real hurry.  Bombers are not the old Sheedy bombers anymore...not much fight or spite.......Goddard didnt bother to fight back vs Lamb at all, he is over it and I expect a media career at the end of season for him.
We won the game but still have plenty of problems, a lot of our players looked good vs feeble opposition IMO.....you look at BomberBlitz and the common theme was weak hearted effort from the EFC....

Generally agree EB. I'm a little conflicted in my feelings about this win. Sure it's a win, and 4 points is 4 points, and it's good on that front. And it might be the only win we get this season.

But the opposition is in all sorts IMO, so in some ways it feels like a Pyrrhic victory.

Reply #78
Pyrrhus of Epirus lost half of his forces in victory. We couldn't do that: they were already out for us.

But that this win causes so much distress for Essendon gives me more pleasure than it should. Schadenfreude, perhaps, but it does. I can't stand the Drug Cheats.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79
Bit of perspective...Essendon would have the softest mids in the comp...Parish, Merrett, Zaharakis, Heppell.......it was more like the Von Trapps menacing the Brady Bunch.....you take Cripps out of our midfield and we would have come back to the field in a real hurry.  Bombers are not the old Sheedy bombers anymore...not much fight or spite.......Goddard didnt bother to fight back vs Lamb at all, he is over it and I expect a media career at the end of season for him.
We won the game but still have plenty of problems, a lot of our players looked good vs feeble opposition IMO.....you look at BomberBlitz and the common theme was weak hearted effort from the EFC....
Thats taking away from the effort of blokes EB. Lamb harassed the flog Goddard for 4 qtrs and I mean Ballantyne style. So much so, Woosha started him on the bench, thats not a weak effort from BJ, thats a solid effort from our bloke (ie beating your man). Our blokes put together 4 qtrs of hard at the man footy I thought, it was very evident at the ground. I watched the replay today and looking at it closer, they were very good. Sure there were a few things to work on and we didnt scope 100 pts, but we did what we had to. Blokes concentrated for 4 qtrs, thats all you can ask. The task is to repeat it next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
@ EB

I disagree Cookie, we must and we will bully other teams. Its all about confidence. Crippa does it week in week out no matter the opposition, the others are starting to follow. Again, we must, never say cant.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #81

We don't win very often so they'll be no perspective happening...lol.

Reply #82

Agree to a point but out team has lots of development in front of them.
I can’t see their mids getting tougher but Dow, a fit and in form Kennedy, Pickett and one or two more at this years draft and trade period and we could have some serious mids.
SPS still worries me.
Concerned about an article saying we are looking at extending Murphy’s contract for another 2 years.

Lang, OBrien, Williamson and Docherty could all help add strength, speed and kicking skills over the next few years.

We definitely need to replace a few playing yesterday but we probably have 6-7 best 20 players out atm.

Reply #83
Surprised Daisy is not getting more love. I thought he was outstanding, as he has been most of this year. His kicking has improved out of sight so I guess that ankle has finally come good. Playing like a leader.
JC

Reply #84
I suspect most of that is down to poor moderators. We're lucky on CSC that we have good people keeping an eye on things.

Keep up the good work mods.

Here here
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #85
Helps too when the opposition is rubbish and the opposition coach is clueless... ;)

Rob Walls has been a critic of Woosha for ages. And John Elliott, in early 2015 when there was much talk regarding Mick's tenure, endorsed Woosh as an excellent replacement.

Crazy times............

Reply #86

Good to see SPS wake up to himself during the game, now to build on that for next week. Reminds me too much of Chris Yarran - tons of skill and talent but lack of intensity and willingness to impose himself on the game. Yaz would apply himself periodically (presumably after a blast from coaches) but would soon relapse into his less intense habits. Hopefully SPS will mature; Yaz never did.

Lamb ruined Goddards day...  >:D  And he did it in one quarter before actually playing football and having a positive impact - if only he would play like that more often - Goddard played on the wing after 1/4 time; got a bit of it in the 2nd qtr against LOB but was shut down by Kerridge in the 2nd half.

We need more from Plowman, seems to be in a rut. I could do with him taking fewer kick ins. Even with the occasional clangers, Simmo is much better - wish we still had Tuohy though.

Best game I have seen from Wright when not playing in the forward pocket.

Great to see Graham get more than a single game rather than rotating back to the VFL after each game - now he should get at least one more - limited but willing worker.

Garlett needs to do more.

Big H seemed to contribute more as a back up ruckman that Levi usually does.

Special mention for the MC and coaches - good match ups and team balance - playing 7 defenders right from the opening bounce also worked perfectly

Reply #87
Surprised Daisy is not getting more love. I thought he was outstanding, as he has been most of this year. His kicking has improved out of sight so I guess that ankle has finally come good. Playing like a leader.

Post 29. Just for you JC

I thought our backline worked as well as I've seen. Daisy probably added the necessary experience and leadership. He's having a great patch that's for sure. I was critical of Daisy last year, but he's a different player this year. So I tilt my hat. 
Henry Ford.

Reply #88
Not getting too high, not getting too low.

Loved Bolts post match response to celebrations.
He'll go shake hands with all the coaches.
Woohoooo what a night out ;)
Henry Ford.

Reply #89
Loved Bolts post match response to celebrations.
He'll go shake hands with all the coaches.
Woohoooo what a night out ;)

As my daughter likes to say, a real fun sponge.  :D

I do like his post match pressers more as time goes on. He's a very good public face for the club, partly for the reason that he's so hard to dislike.