Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 59321 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Liddle

Reply #270
Surely those days are over.

I'm not so sure.
Power rests in the hands of just a few influential folks.
It's certainly not with the general membership.
Those people pretty much control who is on the board...and have added structures that makes it difficult for anyone outside 'the circle' to gain a place.

Reply #271
Mathieson knows jack crap about football and should be guided by folks who know more than he does, not just throw his weight around when he has the grumps.

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #272

I would love to hear what he would have to say about the Ratten situation back then when he was playing.

I think he said something about this in his book. From memory, he was either equivocal or somewhat less than complimentary. Someone who is familiar with the book would know more. 

Reply #273
The bay13 article by you Flyboy was a very interesting read. It does sell some positive data. How to fix these issues is up to BB, his coaching staff and the playing group. The next 6 to 8 games will show whether we can move in the right direction.

A win somewhere down the line would be a great start. Nothing like confidence and belief to get the ball rolling. I just hope we don’t load up too much pressure and expectations on the return of special K. He shouldn’t be the one to carry the side. It is a team effort and players need to all be accountable.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #274
Mathieson knows jack crap about football and should be guided by folks who know more than he does, not just throw his weight around when he has the grumps.

At a guess I'd say he had a big influence in setting up the current group in charge.

Reply #275
The bay13 article by you Flyboy was a very interesting read. It does sell some positive data. How to fix these issues is up to BB, his coaching staff and the playing group. The next 6 to 8 games will show whether we can move in the right direction.

A win somewhere down the line would be a great start. Nothing like confidence and belief to get the ball rolling. I just hope we don’t load up too much pressure and expectations on the return of special K. He shouldn’t be the one to carry the side. It is a team effort and players need to all be accountable.

That said, Special K back is massive for us. It helps Crippa no end too.

How would the Dees go without Gawn? The Pies without Grundy?

Matt is light years ahead of Philips and Lobbe in outright ability and the ability to affect the outcome of a game....!!

Drop Lobbe, keep Levi as back up and play Charlie on a wing or HFF.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #276
At a guess I'd say he had a big influence in setting up the current group in charge.

It's naive to think otherwise, money well and truly talks!

Whether it's Game of Thrones, local politics or football club administration, the faceless men are the ones to fear!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #277
I'm not so sure.
Power rests in the hands of just a few influential folks.
It's certainly not with the general membership.
Those people pretty much control who is on the board...and have added structures that makes it difficult for anyone outside 'the circle' to gain a place.
Ill hazard a guess and say that one of Liddle's charters is to rid the club of a reliance on stupid old gits with lots of money.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #279
Probably not... seeing he serves at their pleasure.

x2

Liddle is more likely to be courting them than disrespecting them, he knows who butters his bread!

A million infant fans isn't worth one billionaire!

The club does want the children to grow up as fans, but that is the long long game, not part of the immediate survival concern! It's why I call bullsh1t when the Dawks pump themselves up as the family club, the only thing Jeff Kennett would worry about in regard to families is if they can serve as a carpet to stop his boots getting dirty!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #280

If i were to hazard a guess, he was probably a lot keener on landing a big fish / coach / star player etc - the Old Carlton way. He doesn't strike me as one of those "the ox is slow but the earth is patient" types.

Reply #281
If i were to hazard a guess, he was probably a lot keener on landing a big fish / coach / star player etc - the Old Carlton way. He doesn't strike me as one of those "the ox is slow but the earth is patient" types.

Mathieson is close to Loguidice and Silvagni. His nephew is a director.
He would have been right behind the rebuild strategy and with them in his ear probably maintains the general thrust of the approach.

I'm thinking it's a strong reason why we've continued to hold the line.
While there is that unity of approach at the top we'll probably continue with that...but that doesn't mean they wont think of changing personnel if things get super hard.
Ask Trigg...and maybe Andrew McKay.

Reply #282
Mathieson is close to Loguidice and Silvagni.
He would have been right behind the rebuild strategy and with them in his ear probably maintains the general thrust of the approach.

I'm thinking it's a strong reason why we've continued to hold the line.
While there is that unity of approach at the top we'll probably continue with that...but that doesn't mean they wont think of changing personnel if things get super hard.
Ask Trigg...and maybe Andrew McKay.

It's interesting speculating on the dynamics. My feeling is that Silvagni convinced (maybe browbeat) the Judge about the correct path, then both of them ganged up on Mathieson and forced / convinced him that he needs to be on board as well. Of course, it's pure guesswork on my part.

Reply #283
It's interesting speculating on the dynamics. My feeling is that Silvagni convinced (maybe browbeat) the Judge about the correct path, then both of them ganged up on Mathieson and forced / convinced him that he needs to be on board as well. Of course, it's pure guesswork on my part.

Of course we're only guessing but....
We'd have to know the dynamics of the Silvagni appointment to determine his influence
When was he approached?
What were his demands if he took up the position?

He was appointed in December 2014....but there was already moves towards a rebuild in April of that year.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-power-figures-push-for-radical-club-rebuild-after-embarrassing-04-start-to-season/news-story/3029beeaac666f568dd75453b2cf9433

Someone will write a book about what actually went on and some of the agendas in play during the 2014-15 years someday.
It will be a fascinating read.

Reply #284
You'd think those covert meetings in Queensland are the tell, the ones we got fined for when we flew the attendees up their in a private jet! ;)

It's hard to see that as Liddle and the club working around or displacing Mathieson, or am I wrong?
The Force Awakens!