Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs GWS (Read 12497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
Last time we played them they smacked us in the last qtr 7 goals to 1 with just 16 men at times.

Thinking we've improved on that.

Reply #17
This could get ugly,  real ugly.  If Mumthug doesn't play we might have a slim chance, emphasis on slim.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-14/disappointed-giants-hungry-to-atone-after-hawks-dismantling

Great...Mummy and Whitfield probably back and GWS probably going to be tackle crazy given they didnt lay too many vs the Hawks.
DeBoer on Cripps to be critical, I might include Kennedy this week vs his old mob and give him Kelly or Coniglio to follow around.

Reply #20
Great...Mummy and Whitfield probably back and GWS probably going to be tackle crazy given they didnt lay too many vs the Hawks.
DeBoer on Cripps to be critical, I might include Kennedy this week vs his old mob and give him Kelly or Coniglio to follow around.

Yes, both massive ins for them, if they come up. Whitfield is very underrated IMO.

Should feel like a GWS old boys reunion for several of our blokes.

Reply #21
Do GWS have carte blanc as well to beat the +*,'! From us or are the umpires going to do their job for once?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22

Kennedy has almost become our forgotten man!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23

I guess the upside is how much of a challenge it will be, making a win all the more impressive. Gulp.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24
I guess the upside is how much of a challenge it will be, making a win all the more impressive. Gulp.
The media this week will pump up GWS to atone for their Hawks loss. Similar to what they did with Norp in the lead up to our game.
Will make the win all the more sweeter >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #25
Assuming Newman comes up but Jones and Simpson do not we have missing from our backline

Simpson                Jones               Plowman
Williamson             Macreadie        Docherty

Not a bad defence on its own.  No wonder we struggle a bit.

A lot will turn on their selections.  If Cameron Mummy and Whitfield don't come up they are a very different proposition to the team that has those 3 fit and playing.

Reply #26
Reckon it might be time for H's breakout game. Plenty to like thus far, but we're ready for him to announce himself with an authoritative bag of six pointers and many contested grabs.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Reckon it might be time for H's breakout game. Plenty to like thus far, but we're ready for him to announce himself with an authoritative bag of six pointers and many contested grabs.

I like your optimism, but Norp are the weakest defense in the AFL and they kept him scoreless, check out the Stats HERE. McKay had a massive Casboultian moment, in a loss that was apparently all sMurph's fault!

Perhaps he should have spent more time studying the opposition and less time stuffing onions in lockers!

I think the GWS defenders might run him into the ground.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
CARLTON
B: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Caleb Marchbank
HB: Marc Murphy, Mitch McGovern, Jack Silvagni
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
HF: Zac Fisher, Charlie Curnow, Will Setterfield
F: Michael Gibbons, Harry McKay, David Cuningham
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Sam Walsh, Paddy Dow
Int: Harrison Macreadie, Nic Newman, Liam Stocker, Levi Casboult, Lochie O'Brien, Matthew Kennedy, Jarrod Garlett, Alex Fasolo (Four to be omitted)

IN: Harrison Macreadie, Nic Newman, Lochie O'Brien, Matthew Kennedy, Jarrod Garlett, Alex Fasolo

OUT: Tom Williamson (Injured), Lachie Plowman (Injured)

GWS GIANTS
B: Zac Williams, Nick Haynes, Heath Shaw
HB: Sam Taylor, Phil Davis, Sam J. Reid
C: Jeremy Finlayson, Tim Taranto, Adam Tomlinson
HF: Matt de Boer, Jeremy Cameron, Daniel Lloyd
F: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene
R: Shane Mumford, Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly
Int: Lachie Whitfield, Dawson Simpson, Isaac Cumming, Jackson Hately, Brett Deledio, Lachlan Keeffe, Adam Kennedy, Harry Perryman (Four to be omitted)

IN: Shane Mumford, Lachie Whitfield, Isaac Cumming, Jackson Hately, Brett Deledio, Lachlan Keeffe, Harry Perryman
OUT: Stephen Coniglio (Injured), Zac Langdon (Injured), Matt Buntine (Omitted)

Mumford coming in is a big 'in' for them. Hopefully he is not as effective as he used to be, but he is certainly no cleaner. Coniglio is a huge 'out'.
Our defence is looking very threadbare. It might be improving significantly in the next couple of weeks, but that won't help us this weekend. I am a bit surprised with Macreadie being chosen, and absolutely horrified to see Fasolo's name on the list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Not as horrifying as seeing o brien named.

If he plays we wont win.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson