Skip to main content
Topic: Leadership Group 2018 (Read 34330 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Leadership Group 2018

Reply #30
Maxwell was picked because of the factional nature of the Collingwood list...Maxwell was seen as middle ground for the Ratpackers and the others like Dawes, Jolly, Cloke, Pendlebury etc.....not everyone loved each other at Collingwood, thats from a Collingwood staffer at the time...

I presume Harley at Geelong was the same given he was a well spoken but average neutral type of player.......

Reply #31
Exactly. Hence why I never quite get it why so many of us arm chair critics say Murphy is not 'tough enough' to be captain and we should have player A player B etc casue they would be better at it then Murphy.

The guy is entering his 6th year as captain and has held it under 3 coaches.......with 40 players on the list he must be ok at the job despite what us supporters say at times.

Being a small framed player i think he cops it unfairly a bit when we are struggling and is an easy target but at the end of the day the players and coaches who see 40 players nearly every day have selected him over the past 5 years and they must know more about it then us who watch for 2 hours on game day.

Stop it Shawny. We don't tolerate common sense around here.

Although one could quibble with the 3 coaches voting on Murphy - for the 5 minutes that Barker was coach, I doubt he was worried either way.

Reply #32
Murphy should remain the man and by some distance.

Lets get the kids into their 3rd or 4th year before we make them the prime focus of the opposition.

imho, Murphy has dealt with the attention he gets on and off the field like..........a leader!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Murphy should remain the man and by some distance.

Lets get the kids into their 3rd or 4th year before we make them the prime focus of the opposition.

imho, Murphy has dealt with the attention he gets on and off the field like..........a leader!
Well said LP
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
Exactly. Hence why I never quite get it why so many of us arm chair critics say Murphy is not 'tough enough' to be captain and we should have player A player B etc casue they would be better at it then Murphy.

The guy is entering his 6th year as captain and has held it under 3 coaches.......with 40 players on the list he must be ok at the job despite what us supporters say at times.

Being a small framed player i think he cops it unfairly a bit when we are struggling and is an easy target but at the end of the day the players and coaches who see 40 players nearly every day have selected him over the past 5 years and they must know more about it then us who watch for 2 hours on game day.

Yeah Shawny, as Paul said, take your common sense and logic and nick off to Big Footy.Wait a second... ;) ;) ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
Maxwell was picked because of the factional nature of the Collingwood list...Maxwell was seen as middle ground for the Ratpackers and the others like Dawes, Jolly, Cloke, Pendlebury etc.....not everyone loved each other at Collingwood, thats from a Collingwood staffer at the time...

I presume Harley at Geelong was the same given he was a well spoken but average neutral type of player.......

...and it'd be the same at every team out there. Which is why its important to pick a captain that everyone can talk to and not alienate anyway by choosing the 'wrong' captain.

Reply #36
Which I guess means that Mick and Bolts both want / wanted Murph as captain.

Rumour has it that Mick wanted someone else (Simmo? Carrazzo??) but was overruled by the powers that be. Murphy was more 'marketable' from memory.

Didn't agree with the call at the time, but now i think he's the best man for the job with who is available in 2018 and beyond.

Reply #37
Maybe so, but geez they jelled well as a unit. Yin-Yang, Bad Boys-Good Boys, need the right mix of both perhaps?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #38
Maybe so, but geez they jelled well as a unit. Yin-Yang, Bad Boys-Good Boys, need the right mix of both perhaps?

Whatever issues I have with MM at Carlton, the Pies 2011 season was sensational. 20 wins, 2 losses, 167.66%. That's what I'd like to see from us.

Reply #39
Rumour has it that Mick wanted someone else (Simmo? Carrazzo??) but was overruled by the powers that be. Murphy was more 'marketable' from memory.

Didn't agree with the call at the time, but now i think he's the best man for the job with who is available in 2018 and beyond.

There's always rumours. Given his standing in the game, and the importance of the captain, I would have thought MM would make it a condition of his employment that he gets to choose the Captain.

Some people on this planet know the truth. Nobody on here unfortunately.

Reply #40
Whatever issues I have with MM at Carlton, the Pies 2011 season was sensational. 20 wins, 2 losses, 167.66%. That's what I'd like to see from us.
F---ed in the big dance though, good effort though. I hoped MM could do the same for us, alas.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Like others I'd like to see Murphy captain this year.  Doc and Crippa would be my next picks. Ideally with Murphy as mentor in 2019. I certainly see Weiters leadership skills developing. I'd expect him to blossom a bit later on.

Given the age profiles, I'd be pleased to see a seasoned deputy alongside a younger bloke.  Simmo, Ed, perhaps Kruez would be a good fit. As would Doc and Crippa. If it's a bigger group I could see Sam Rowe or Matty Wright fill the role effectively. Smokey - The Jones boy ;)

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #43
Agreed, given Doc's injury, Smurf remains as Captain this year.

Crippa, Ed Curnow and Doc as VCs.

Weiters?

Let the kid find his feet onfield before loading him with any other burdens!

If Ollie Wines comes east next year is he a leadership type?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
If Ollie Wines comes east next year is he a leadership type?

The minute you appoint newbies to leadership group you're on a losing strategy, you are basically told the current list they don't cut the mustard, which is exactly the message players and player managers take from an event like that!
The Force Awakens!