Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 9003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #90
Dow has to play every week so we can actually make a call on him.
SPS too. We drafted these guys now back them in.
@madbluboy‍

Yet yesterday in the commentary I heard the "experts" state we were now paying the price for gifting those guys too many games when they weren't ready, hadn't earned it and weren't performing! They've become use to being selected off the back of half-hearted performances.

I've heard a few state that recently, including Jordan Lewis, Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey, it's obviously an opinion circulating through the industry.

I think if you play them and they get beat up week after week it actually sets them back regardless of whatever ability they have!

Partly I blame our club for not taking Northern and the 2nd tier seriously over the last 20 years, we basically ignored player development at VFL level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Per Baggers:
Stanton laughing while our team flails is etched in my mind. FO d1ckhead... hand in your resignation Monday.

What that says is that he didn't get the football department review memo.
Dumb.

Just as dumb and inept as the antics we've witnessed from Prez to player over the last 2 decades.

Can't imagine what it'll be like going back to work on Monday. Particularly for the young players and with added uncertainty of CV travel and lack of social support. The poorly timed review under these circumstances may inadvertently split the group further.

Like many, I'm exhausted following this club. I will, however, spare a thought for those committed players/staff now under scrutiny. My hope is those same people will stay strong and be part of the solution. It will be that resilience, mental toughness, and commitment to hard work that takes the club forward.

Those who prefer to sip lattes on the coast best check out the job vacancy pages.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #92
Stanton laughing while our team flails is etched in my mind. FO d1ckhead... hand in your resignation Monday.
That can be as much as sign of disbelief, it can be a laugh of "I can't believe they are serving that crap up!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
@madbluboy‍

Yet yesterday in the commentary I heard the "experts" state we were now paying the price for gifting those guys too many games when they weren't ready, hadn't earned it and weren't performing!

I've heard a few state that recently, including Jordan Lewis, Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey, it's obviously an opinion circulating through the industry.

I think if you play them and they get beat up week after week it actually sets them back regardless of whatever ability they have!

I'm not sure that's the whole story. There are still several inaugural GWS players in the system, both at GWS and elsewhere. They used to cop awful hidings back in the day - they're playing good footy now.

The problem IMO is the instability and flip flopping between one approach and another. Teague (who should know better IMO), has stated publicly on more than one occasion that earlier (read : under Bolton), we were gifting games to kids and that is no longer the case. How would you feel if you're LoB or Dow hearing your coach say that ? Quite apart from that, who should've got games ahead  of them ? Matt Shaw ?

Reply #94
100% agree.   I am certainly not saying he is there or even that he is best 22.    Just that one element of his game is actually pretty good and the rest needs work.

Hooper is 3 years older than Dow.
I like Dow and want him to succeed as he has all the attributes of the modern mid in terms of size, pace, and he does attack the ball well but he just cant seem to stay composed enough or make the right decisions often enough.
Unlike his U18 days he also cant find the footy enough..
Is it the coaching, is it the lack of leadership/support from other mids?....why is Walsh excelling yet Paddy and LOB look in another dimension as far as how they play.
You want to offer him more time/games and maybe with new coaches in the box he will improve but to do that we have to get better support in the middle other than just Cripps and another kid in Walsh. Apologies to Ed and Matt Kennedy but they are limited players who are good soldiers but we need Dow becoming a General like Walsh.
You look at Hopper, Taranto and Tom Green and Dow looks like a novice still, there is only so long you can persist and hope..

Reply #95
Per Baggers:

What that says is that he didn't get the football department review memo.
Dumb.

Just as dumb and inept as the antics we've witnessed from Prez to player over the last 2 decades.

Can't imagine what it'll be like going back to work on Monday. Particularly for the young players and with added uncertainty of CV travel and lack of social support. The poorly timed review under these circumstances may inadvertently split the group further.

Like many, I'm exhausted following this club. I will, however, spare a thought for those committed players/staff now under scrutiny. My hope is those same people will stay strong and be part of the solution. It will be that resilience, mental toughness, and commitment to hard work that takes the club forward.

Those who prefer to sip lattes on the coast best check out the job vacancy pages.

Stanton will know he is going anyway once the review is done.

Reply #96
That can be as much as sign of disbelief, it can be a laugh of "I can't believe they are serving that crap up!"

Could well be LP.
My view is based on my work experience. I'm in a very different industry, but I do supervise budding professionals. If my supervisee was underperforming I'd be watching carefully and noting my feedback. After all, I share the responsibility for professional development and performance standards.

I know it's a loose comparison but these coaches share similar responsibility. I expect incoming prez Auditor will be examining just this sort of responsibility- accountability. 
Henry Ford.

Reply #97
So how come we have t heard much from those who wanted to hang their hat on waiting till we played the winnable games in the softer part of draw - How is that idea faring?

Haven't gone anywhere. Read around. I literally just answered that question in the pre-game thread for next week

Reply #98
I like Dow and want him to succeed as he has all the attributes of the modern mid in terms of size, pace, and he does attack the ball well but he just cant seem to stay composed enough or make the right decisions often enough.
Is it the coaching, is it the lack of leadership/support from other mids?....why is Walsh excelling yet Paddy and LOB look in another dimension as far as how they play.
You want to offer him more time/games and maybe with new coaches in the box he will improve but to do that we have to get better support in the middle other than just Cripps and another kid in Walsh. Apologies to Ed and Matt Kennedy but they are limited players who are good soldiers but we need Dow becoming a General like Walsh.
You look at Hopper, Taranto and Tom Green and Dow looks like a novice still, there is only so long you can persist and hope..

Dow had his career ruined early on when he was thrown into the heat of the action rather than getting to perform lesser roles as he developed. Killed his confidence. Did him no good. not all are Sam Walsh's and hit it right away.

Reply #99
Stanton will know he is going anyway once the review is done.

If that's the case, the people who signed him up should get a tap on the shoulder. I've said it repeatedly, we need to look at our recruitment processes. If you don't get that right, you're forever behind the 8 ball.
Henry Ford.

Reply #100
Dow had his career ruined early on when he was thrown into the heat of the action rather than getting to perform lesser roles as he developed. Killed his confidence. Did him no good. not all are Sam Walsh's and hit it right away.
GWS must have got lucky with Taranto, Hopper, Perryman and Green then......I know Walsh is a standout player but there is just miles between Dow,LOB and the GWS kids for example.

Reply #101
I didn't watch much of the game - late 2nd qtr and some of the third.  Sadly, learning a new accounting system was a better option (and this one is complicated for my little head)!  I am surprised that we only lost by 6 goals (only looked it up now to see the margin)

I think the nature of the loss gets rid of some of the paper covering the cracks - we think we are OK because we're only losing by 4 goals every week, and if we keep persevering we'll get there eventually.  We want eventually to be now.

I see us toil away for goals time and time again, just for the opposition to score easy ones.  Yes, we look good when we have a run on, but that's once a game and we fade quickly.

We don't seem to play for each other and don't seem to be a great team.  How do you build a team in a club that has had so much change that everyone is looking over their shoulder.  To build a team, there must be a culture.  Our culture is yoghurt.  Something smelly and disgusting!

Brisbane has built culture, Richmond has built culture, North will be building culture, Sydney has one etc. We will languish until this is established.  We know what happened to Fisher - finishing on 99 games.  I don't think it is a great message to say that Murph is not guaranteed 300 games - will only get picked if worthy.  Tells me that we aren't really looking after our players that well.  Negative message that filters down the club.  (I get that some don't like Murph, and are happy hearing that he may not get to 300) - 
what about - we are working with Murph at the moment to help him get to 300 games - it will be a great achievement for him to get there.

ps how good was Toby's torp on half time - amazing kick.

Reply #102
GWS must have got lucky with Taranto, Hopper, Perryman and Green then......I know Walsh is a standout player but there is just miles between Dow,LOB and the GWS kids for example.

I agree. Dow's confidence is no better or worse than most of his team mates. If his confidence was shot from early exposure, then how do we account for his low confidence mates ? Just being at Carlton would do it to you I reckon.

Reply #103

I want Dow to succeed, but I don't see him ever being more than an average player.  I have always wondered why we selected him when it was well known that his disposal by foot was below average.

It hasn't improved and he knows it.  With the speed of AFL requiring quicker decision making I have seen his hesitation when he looks to handball instead of kicking because he can't trust his ability to hit a target.

Reply #104
Its interesting to compare Luke Davies Uniake and Paddy Dow...both were hot property in their draft year, both dominant at U18 level and both have struggled at senior level. Their stats in terms of disposals at senior level are about the same and their kicking isnt their strong point. LDU is marginally better placed than Dow in terms of the future IMO but is it just the case of two crap clubs unable to develop talent or did both clubs just get it wrong with their selections?