Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 124056 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #150
People carry on like Malthouse's sh1t doesn't stink. Whenever something goes wrong, there are always a million other reasons why it wasn't his fault. Reminds me of James Hirds and Essendon. Everything was Knights' fault according to most bombers fans, just like everything was supposedly rattens fault.

Reply #151
Sorry, but trying to pick a best 22 in January is like judging your blind date on what her friends say about her/him.

Remember that dude we got from the Weagles (no. 22 from memory) who trained the house down, and was an on-field dud?

In fact, there is no such thing as a 'best 22'. It is a nonsense, even, to think such a thing. So limiting. There is only a thing called 'the list' from where we pick the best 22 for 'this week'.

When I look at our list I could easily imagine our best 22 to be 34 blokes. And that is close to how it should be.
Callum Chambers is the guy you were thinking of, and he was super fast hence the hype when we got him at the end of 2004.
Agree that we finally have a list with some serious depth that will hopefully allow us to challenge deep into September with a little luck.

We said the same thing in 2012.

Will be interesting to see how the pro-Malthousonites react if we are poor again this year.

...be more interesting to see how you react should we be very successful. Where do I send the humble pie? ;) ...and dozen eggs :)

Mate humble pie would taste fantastic, bring it on!!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #152
GozzMan, ya gotta give credit where credit is due...

...and I bet his crappola is on the beak!!!! ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #154
Sorry, but trying to pick a best 22 in January is like judging your blind date on what her friends say about her/him.

Remember that dude we got from the Weagles (no. 22 from memory) who trained the house down, and was an on-field dud?

In fact, there is no such thing as a 'best 22'. It is a nonsense, even, to think such a thing. So limiting. There is only a thing called 'the list' from where we pick the best 22 for 'this week'.

When I look at our list I could easily imagine our best 22 to be 34 blokes. And that is close to how it should be.
Callum Chambers is the guy you were thinking of, and he was super fast hence the hype when we got him at the end of 2004.
Agree that we finally have a list with some serious depth that will hopefully allow us to challenge deep into September with a little luck.

Will be interesting to see how the pro-Malthousonites react if we are poor again this year.

...be more interesting to see how you react should we be very successful. Where do I send the humble pie? ;) ...and dozen eggs :)

I'll deliver it personally! What beverage would you like with it? Spare no expense. ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #155

I'll deliver it personally! What beverage would you like with it? Spare no expense. ;D

Pina Colada thanks!! :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #156
Can I have some humble pie and a beverage too? If so, a four n twenty and a stubby of VB please.  ;D

Reply #157
Casboult is a woeful kick and while he may be threading some goals at training I have my doubts under pressure in a real game he can do the same.
You cant drop the ball like he does and expect to hit every kick properly.......the only poor kick for goal come good I have seen has been Stuart Loewe and I guess if you took as many marks as he did you would get plenty of practice kicking for goal.

Its useless having a winning midfield if you cant convert opportunities and I'm all for Henderson playing forward with Waite....Levi will have his moments but Henderson is a reliable player who kicks straight.
I think we need to gamble with Watson, Giles or anyone else down back so Henderson can play forward......

Pretty much put it all in a nutshell there Elwood. I think that Casboult will get chances though mostly as the 2nd ruck behind Kreuzer. I personally dont like Kreuzer and Warnock in the same side, its almost like playing two centres together on a basketball team, they both get confused. I know Watson is the great white hope for many of us but I also would really like them to have a look at Rowe at CHB, on paper looks a great idea I guess the big question would be endurance. We just need to start building around Henderson up forward and Waite as the sidekick, a must really.

Reply #158
Casboult is a woeful kick and while he may be threading some goals at training I have my doubts under pressure in a real game he can do the same.
You cant drop the ball like he does and expect to hit every kick properly.......the only poor kick for goal come good I have seen has been Stuart Loewe and I guess if you took as many marks as he did you would get plenty of practice kicking for goal.

Its useless having a winning midfield if you cant convert opportunities and I'm all for Henderson playing forward with Waite....Levi will have his moments but Henderson is a reliable player who kicks straight.
I think we need to gamble with Watson, Giles or anyone else down back so Henderson can play forward......

Pretty much put it all in a nutshell there Elwood. I think that Casboult will get chances though mostly as the 2nd ruck behind Kreuzer. I personally dont like Kreuzer and Warnock in the same side, its almost like playing two centres together on a basketball team, they both get confused. I know Watson is the great white hope for many of us but I also would really like them to have a look at Rowe at CHB, on paper looks a great idea I guess the big question would be endurance. We just need to start building around Henderson up forward and Waite as the sidekick, a must really.

JC....Agree on Warnock and Kruezer, both are No 1 ruckman but dont play the 2nd ruck/forward role that well and hence I think Malthouse dabbled last season with Casboult and Rowe as second ruckman hoping he could get a Leigh Brown type out of one of them. However both for various reasons fell short of what is required and I think MM will start with Warnock and Kruezer as the ruck double act in rnd 1 but I reckon that wont last long and he will look at probably Casboult as his No2 ruck/forward.

Rowe has never been fit enough for AFL footy and I remember Paul Roos commentating that when he had Rowe at the Swans he never applied himself or took the fitness side of things too seriously and thats why he ended up not making it.
I would be happy to try him at CHB in the NB's and have seen him play there and do ok but I just worry playing him at senior level in that position he wont have the tank to cover the ground required vs the mobile KP players...just hoping this pre season has seen him progress in terms of fitness because his skill level for a big bloke is good and he has the tools to be a decent player.

Reply #159
Cop a few injuries to your best players, added with suspensions and its always going to be tough. This is why I think ratten got unfairly treated. On the other side, he got his marching orders for the wrong reasons...if anything it should have been for poor list management/shoddy recruiting.

Ratten was knifed by his playing group.  The way that they played against the Gold Coast up there was his death knell.  Had the players been united behind Ratten then fair enough, but its likely the club saw an opportunity to grab a coach who has a track record and this match was ultimately the one that cost him his job, because it was plain as day that the players were not playing for him.

Once you lose the playing group, you are dead man walking and its only a matter of time, unless the club trusts you to turn over the list (which Ratten had ample opportunity to do).  Couple that with the fact that whenever the opportunity for a player to move on came up that the opportunity was generally taken, speaks for why it was a fair enough thought process.

In that case Malthouse has lost the players as well though, there were many poor performances under him as well. I think the playing list itself is 'lost', aint nobody going to fix it. Too many blokes that have had an easy run at it, fall for their own hype and are rated way too highly for players with their shortcomings.

Yes and no.

We need to give Malthouse time (his 3 year contract) to show that he can win over the players and get them performing.  Given the way we finished this last season, the players are onboard currently (Ratten achieved this in 2011).  If at any stage he again appears to have lost the players, (2012 for Ratten, GC match was the final straw, the one prior to that was failing to show up against North, Port Adelaide, St. Kilda and Essendon (take your pick) and thats where it becomes clear the players stopped believing in their coach and the cause.  This could be an issue amonst the group (we will decide whether or not Malthouse is dealing with that effectively by the end of his contract, perhaps even end of this season) and then from there we need to decided whether or not we move forward with or without either the coach or the playing group.  Moving on 3 coaches in the space of time it takes to win over the playing group is not worthwhile, so we either trust Malthouse to rebuild, or rebuild with the next guy.  Frankly, Id rather rebuild under Malthouse given the next coach is at present an unknown quantity (although I would be getting into Woosha to find out just how retired he is).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #160
I agree re Mick being given at least another year to prove himself. I still disagree that Ratts had lost the players, they were well and truly behind him in the previous year although one of Judd's comments after Ratts' departure suggests the great man wasn't 100% behind him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #161
Fair enough Carroto.  It appears we are at an agreement that we need time to get more information from here moving forward regarding whether or not we have been right or wrong to do what we have.  In any case, we have acted which is better than inaction in most cases given we have tried to progress.  Better to have tried and failed than to tread water especially if you are not confident in the future as things were looking at the time (true enough once Fev was gone).

I disagree that Ratten hadn't lost the group.  Season 2012 showed that it just wasnt working.  The writing was on the wall, and the Gold Coast game proved it.  I swung a little bit during that season actually.  There were times I was on board, and even at the end I think I was in denial, but I finally made peace with it, after I conducted my own review of the year.

The major concern was the fact that we seemed to just not show up when key hurdles kept coming up.  Playing for top spot on the ladder, and unceremoniously smashed without a whimper against a waning Saint Kilda and a lack lustre showing against Adelaide (who were admittedly were very good in 2012) were the games where the cracks started appearing.  The "flat patch" in the middle of the year was a major concern for a team that was 3 points from a preliminary final the previous year, particularly an inability to knock over a lack lustre Port Adelaide and when our season had everything riding on it against North Melbourne once again we failed to rock up.  That was the death knell.  The GC game happened when we were getting back into the equation due to other results falling our way more than anything else, and then the players "played dead" and by then it was already too late.  That was just the straw that broke the camels back really.  Mathematically it ended our season, and Ratten's job.  Players at fault for that.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #162
I agree re Mick being given at least another year to prove himself. I still disagree that Ratts had lost the players, they were well and truly behind him in the previous year although one of Judd's comments after Ratts' departure suggests the great man wasn't 100% behind him.

Ditto Murphy.

Reply #163

Ditto Murphy.

Didn't appreciate being told to 'win his own ball'?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #164
He tried and then he busted his shoulder.