Hb: Walker, Waite, Simpson
C: Thomas, Gibbs, Judd
Hf: Watson, Henderson, Menzel
F: Garlett, Casboult, Everitt
Foll: Kreuzer, Murphy
Rov: Carrazzo
I/c: Curnow, McLean, Scotland, Yarran
Emerg: Docherty, Graham, Lucas, Warnock

Hendo is no CHF, he is too slow and not agile enough as a CHF. Once teams dragged him up the ground he lost all effectiveness.

Hendo did his best work at FF or FP.

If fit Waite is our best CHF by some margin to the nearest alternative, if Waite is not there I suspect Everitt off a HFF or maybe even a wing will become a mobile target in combination with some smaller players like Walker or Yarran.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #226
I would ignore Cameron Wood in this discussion.  He has been picked up as insurance in case both Warnock and Kreuzer both go down injured.

His recruitment indicates nothing and as of right now, with a fit list, he is third in line for an elevation behind Scotland and Cachia.

Are Scotland and Cachia both nominated rookies?....if so they dont need promoting and Wood could be added to the list in place of Duigan.
I think Wood will play games and be a threat to Warnock's future if the latter doesnt start taking some marks and getting more of the ball...

I had heard Cachia has already got Duigan's spot.

I agree about 206, he has been lucky in that SpecialK and Hammer didn't mark well so they offered no around the ground advantages to de-value the 206 ruck domination. Also Rowe and Casboult can't ruck so there are not viable 2nd ruck options despite being reasonable marking targets. Sometimes life just deals you the right cards, or your opponent the dud ones! Also history suggests MM is not big on having a dominant ruckmen as a priority, he prefers the versatile types which has been lucky for MM teams in regards to having Cox and Jolly. If one of rucks becomes versatile as such the others are on borrowed time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #227
Hendo is no CHF, he is too slow and not agile enough as a CHF. Once teams dragged him up the ground he lost all effectiveness.

I know you like your CHFs to play out of the half back line but he needs to learn how to get himself cover and not get dragged all over the place. That's a defender breaking down our structures, that's a win (in most instances) for the opposition. Waite had the same problem and when he sorted it out he became a far more damaging player (then he got himself injured or rubbed out all the time)

Reply #228

I know you like your CHFs to play out of the half back line but he needs to learn how to get himself cover and not get dragged all over the place. That's a defender breaking down our structures, that's a win (in most instances) for the opposition. Waite had the same problem and when he sorted it out he became a far more damaging player (then he got himself injured or rubbed out all the time)

No not out of CHB, you must be winding me up because you would know I hate Casboult taking marks on D50 and getting stuff all inside F50.

I like my CHF to play Jonathon Brown style, good CHF put fear into the opposition and intimidate defenders. Hendo just isn't like that, Waite is! Good CHF don't just win the footy, they demand it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #229
I like the formula we had in the 90s... Sticks and the Golf Ball. They took it upon themselves to alternate, to great effect.

That potential exists with Waite and Hendo. Waite is an impossible CHF to match up on... and when he drifts back to FF, backmen are filling their undies. His only enemy is himself. Hendo can also rotate to great effect. And if resting ruckman also contribute...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #230
B: Tuohy, Jamison, White
Hb: Walker, Waite, Simpson
C: Thomas, Gibbs, Judd
Hf: Watson, Henderson, Menzel
F: Garlett, Casboult, Everitt
Foll: Kreuzer, Murphy
Rov: Carrazzo
I/c: Curnow, McLean, Scotland, Yarran
Emerg: Docherty, Graham, Lucas, Warnock

Hendo did his best work at FF or FP.

If fit Waite is our best CHF by some margin to the nearest alternative, if Waite is not there I suspect Everitt off a HFF or maybe even a wing will become a mobile target in combination with some smaller players like Walker or Yarran.

Disagree. Hendo is a decent CHF IMO. My view is that a broken down injured or suspended Waite is far too often in and out of our forward structure and it just breakd down. A fit Waite, Heno and MK all playing forward I'd like to see for games on end.

I think Hendo did a great job inside our forward 50 last year when there playing as a key forward. At times your CHF simply has to move up the ground.

Do we have a big J.Brown or T.Cloke - no so we go with what we have.

Reply #231
I think Pratty is spot on there. You need stability at CHF I feel, and I think Hendo is our best hope at achieving that. As much as I love him in our backline we more desperately need him in our forward line and I think he showed signs last year that he has the potential to be the man up forward. Anytime Waite is up there with him will be a bonus with the resting ruck floating around as well.

I remember Leigh Matthews saying once that when they recruited Hendo he felt he was only ever going to make it as backman and that his more reserved personality would not allow him to be a dominant tall forward. I felt the same after he came over but last year he did show enough to think he could be a very decent tall forward at the least.

Reply #232
Hendo certainly has all the skills to be very effective tall fwd. Ok, he may not be a raving extrovert but he does stay calm and composed under pressure so I want to see him play forward if we can sort out our defence without him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #233
IMO any improvement in Rowe, Watson or Casboult will make a significant difference to our side.
If any of these 3 can regularly hold down a starting 18 spot and/or make consistent contributions while on the field, IMO it will do a lot to significantly improving our team, structurally and otherwise. 
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #234
IMO any improvement in Rowe, Watson or Casboult will make a significant difference to our side.
If any of these 3 can regularly hold down a starting 18 spot and/or make consistent contributions while on the field, IMO it will do a lot to significantly improving our team, structurally and otherwise.

I think this is the big issue for us, one of the 200cm guys has to step up.

Hoping for Hendo to become a keystone at CHF reads more like a wish than reality.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #235
Hendo certainly has all the skills to be very effective tall fwd. Ok, he may not be a raving extrovert but he does stay calm and composed under pressure so I want to see him play forward if we can sort out our defence without him.

Exactly. Hendo proved his worth at CHF last year in the limited time he got there. He's been really good down back also. Waite I reckon could be a decent CHB until Cam Giles comes on. He's too lazy, unpredicatble and unreliable up forward...but he can also be a ripper up forward. Quandary! Hoping for Waite to play a full season or Rowe or Casboult or Kreuzer or Watson to hold down CHF aint going to happen. We need a mix of blokes IMHO, with an eye to the future but also with more versatility. Those guys mentioned above will absolutely need someone like Henderson holding down CHF for them to have an impact. I believe Andrejs Everitt and Andy Walker up forward will be really handy for us. Matty Watson also showed something in his limited time forward. More of a roaming taller type than a genuine key forward at this stage but could be handy. Id be seriously looking to build my forward structure around Lachie Henderson in 2014. Doesn't mean he cant switch back from time to time but for the majority of time I think he's gotta be forward in a key post.

Reply #236
@Pratty
Dead right IMO. Hendo is the only younger guy we've got atm who looks anthing like a good KPF prospect so we have to go with him. Finding another remains our big priority.

Casboult may, and I emphasise MAY, be one option. We'll see how he goes this year.

Waite is Waite - can't rely on him playing the full season out.

You're dead right again Pratty in saying that we'll be relying heavily on other non-KPF types.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #237
The only good thing about this time of year  waiting for Rd1 is putting your perfect side together.

Looking at the list for 2014 IMO we are MUCH stronger than how the team looked finished 2013. My thinking is as follows;

1/ we lose Betts. In his place we effectively add Thomas, Docherty, Menzel, Carrotts and Lucas [in the 'last chancee saloon']. These guys are either proven or high potential players who made no impact to the team at the end of 2013.

This ignores anything we might get from last years [other than Menzel] or this years draft crop. Obviously Cripps will hopefully add soemthing this year, but this would be a bonus.

These nett 4 players will put pressure on the current Robbo, Armfield, Curnow, Scotland and Mclean group who all finished 2013. Our depth looks MUCH stronger here. The final against the Swans showed we need to bat deeper and run harder thru the midfield, and this looks more likely with this crop.

2/ The biggest opportunity [and risk] is in the big body department. We lose Hampson [who didnt feature in the back end of the season], and we add in Everitt and Wood [for insurance]. The group of Watson, Casboult, Rowe and White hold the key - none fetaured at the end of 2013 but if 2 of those 4 plus Everitt have a solid to breakout year, then we will be a handful. The reason for this it provides a lot more flexibility for Waite and Hendo.

Hendo and Waite forward, if Watson [or Rowe] can do a job at CHB will make us a very difficult proposition for a lot sides. Hendo is the most talented KPF we have - always runs to the right spot, has very good hands on the lead and is a solid shot at goal. He is a difficult matchup, and takes the pressure [and best defender] from Waite.

3/ I can only hope that over summer MM and his coaches have agreed a plan for our preferred ruck set up, and an injury free MK allows us to implement it. This includes deciding on the role for Warnock, as his great tap work but limited impact otherwise needs to be addressed.

Bring on Round 1!!!!

Reply #238
1/ we lose Betts. In his place we effectively add Thomas, Docherty, Menzel, Carrotts and Lucas [in the 'last chancee saloon']. These guys are either proven or high potential players who made no impact to the team at the end of 2013.

And Everitt.  ;D
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #239

And Everitt.  ;D

Cheers mate. I put Everitt in Point 2 as I see him a biiger body, not a midfield option.