Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 17378 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #45
Agree that Fisher, LOB were very quiet today and seem to be crawling to the line for the end of the year

Gibbo, Deluca & Lang wouldn't be getting a game at many clubs in the AFL.

Lang will be chopped.

The other two will be fine, though Gibbons was ordinary today.

DeLuca could have had 2 goals if he'd settled a bit more...give the guy a break, he's played 3 or 4 games after moving interstate mid year ie new team, new town, no pre season with his team mates...

If Kreuzer had kicked the goal at the start of Q4 we might have even seen a different result - we didn't take any chances today really after a very poor first half we got back into the game.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
Jones absolutely flogged Riewoldt today....and had quite a few intercept marks today, 7 actually, as well as 15 1%ers (which is usually spoils).
Casboult wishes he could do what Jones did today.

I said Jones played well.

I'm talking about what Casboult brought to the team when he went back.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #47
I won't name names, this has already been done, but we just don't yet have the physical maturity or poise/class of good teams such as the Tigers and Eagles - pretty obvious over the past two games and the main reasons why we lost them. By way of a little compensation we do have the guts to fight games out to the end, at the moment. Pretty obvious and vital that we just have to try to rectify these deficits as far as we can via this years trading activities in order to start to make progress further up the ladder.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #48
I was watching the VFL game from the 2nd quarter and he wasn't out there - hopefully it's nothing serious

Hmm. Maybe a late out. Hopefully we'll get some info soon, perhaps the next injury update. He's a good player, but gee he breaks down every 5 minutes.

Reply #49
I won't name names, this has already been done, but we just don't yet have the physical maturity or poise/class of good teams such as the Tigers and Eagles - pretty obvious over the past two games and the main reasons why we lost them. By way of a little compensation we do have the guts to fight games out to the end, at the moment. Pretty obvious and vital that we just have to try to rectify these deficits as far as we can via this years trading activities in order to start to make progress further up the ladder.

I thought we were less impressive today than we were vs the Eagles, maybe it was the conditions and the bigger tiger bodies but they had there fair share of kids playing and were missing some real quality. You wonder where we are going when Kreuzer, Simpson, and say Daisy give it away...

Reply #50
How do you think he gets in that space

He stands still while the opposition run off him. And then he isn’t quick enough to close the gap.

Occasionally he gets lucky with the opposition missing the target and kicking it to him instead.

Reply #51
Thought Plow was good.

How about bloke's like Fisher, LOB, Gibbo (today) and Lang who provided zip defensive pressure....
One on one good
But his kick is atrocious
He is a liability because of that

Reply #52
He stands still while the opposition run off him. And then he isn’t quick enough to close the gap.

Occasionally he gets lucky with the opposition missing the target and kicking it to him instead.

Well send him to vegas because he must be the luckiest bloke out there as he does it week in week out.

I suppose you think Rance has been lucky his whole career too?

Perhaps its got nothing to do with luck. ;)

Reply #53
As much as fans hate Dow we needed his leg speed today, and Kennedy was probably BoG for the magoos but finished the game injured.

McKay needs a rest, he's burning opportunities for the team at the moment, if they keep him in they need a big one from him next round!

I'd ruck McKay in the Magoos and give De Koning a run as a KPF.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
I said Jones played well.

I'm talking about what Casboult brought to the team when he went back.

Jezza Cameron gets 9 intercepts per game (not intercept marks, but intercepts) and is ranked 1st  in the league.

Weitering 7.21 /game puts him 18th in the league
Jones is 6.31 is at 47th
Newman is 48th
Marchbank 51st
Daisy 70th
Simpson 84th

Casboult....does not appear in the list which goes to 100.

Fun fact, Plowman is actually 37th in the league.

Yep, must be VERY lucky to be in the right spot at the right time so much.  ::)

Casboult played a role for us....and was good. But what he offered us was less than what we get from Jones, Weitering and the gang. Hence why he is a forward now they are both playing.

Reply #55
As much as fans hate Dow we needed his leg speed today, and Kennedy was probably BoG for the magoos but finished the game injured.

McKay needs a rest, he's burning opportunities for the team at the moment, if they keep him in they need a big one from him next round!

They were speaking to Sam Docherty on the radio today and they talked about Dow.

Doc said since Teague has come on board Dow has basically moved from the midfield to a HF role.
Thus, his numbers are down.
But, they feel he was playing better footy doing what he was doing on the HF than he was getting credit for...and perhaps better than when he was in the middle.

I reckon Dow will come in for Lang after todays efforts. DeLuca would also be on shaky ground, but at least he has a reason.

Reply #56

Kennedy should have stayed in the team, not sure about Dow, he would have provided some dash but isnt a mudlark IMO and we needed a bit more muscle and tackle breaking
types around the ball.
Not an ideal day for Harry, he looked like a Giraffe on ice out there, he has been a bit off of late with his kicking but I still think today was good experience for him and he knows he
has to get a bit stronger in he contest and not let smaller players push him off the ball...TDK is still work in progress and an injury prone type, I'd rather him give today a miss
and give him games when the weather is better and he can use his athletic abilities to the full. Like Harry I think he would have just been pushed off the ball by Grimes, Astbury and crew
Today suited the Tigers and we were a bit off but I think we can take the Saints next week and DT might sew up the coaches job....

Reply #57
I thought Plowman was very good again today, don't understand all the hate. He will poll well in our B&F this year

Reply #58
I thought Plowman was very good again today, don't understand all the hate. He will poll well in our B&F this year

Not sold on Plowman being in our best 22 when everyone is fit and firing but I thought he did ok as well in terms of taking some intercept marks etc, plenty of kicking errors today from a lot of players given the conditions so you can forgive him for a couple of clangars. Tigers forward setup with all those smaller/mid types isnt ideal for him either, we had a few passengers today who did SFA but he wasnt one of them IMO...

Reply #59
I met a pretty intense Carlton fan last night.  He was adamant we were going to win.  I wasn't and he asked me why, so my reasons were
 - It is going to be wet, so skills are down
 - Richmond are bigger and stronger
 - they have a game plan that they have got to learn, know and implement over a few years
 - they bash and crash the ball forward, hunt in groups and just keep going

We:
 - haven't been able to get a game plan together and work as a team because over 25% of it keeps changing season on season
 - we are immature and weak

and so it was.  Same with WC last week (as several commented).

Yes, we missed our first two set shots - they missed  a few seemingly easy ones as well.  It was just less important for the Tiges.  There is extra pressure on us when what you do absolutely counts every time - a fumble, missed handball, not quite right kick - and then there is the opposition and umpires to worry about as well - Richmond weren't have frees paid against them like we were (some egs previously given by others on this thread)

I stopped watching after Murph kicked our second goal, came back again and we had kicked another three.  The last goal for the Tiges was a disgrace. So many things wrong with the AFL decision making!  We must have done something right along the way.

We are not over the line with St Kilda, although it would be great to win (obviously)