Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32622 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #60
I reckon the standard is up a notch from last season.
There doesn't seem to be that gap between the best and average.

Still too many skill errors (easy dropped marks) but the tackling and pressure was quite good.

Agree Lods.

Reply #61
Yep, spot on.

Both teams looked pretty nervous... see how the skills settle down next week.

Reply #62
Was it just me, or were Collingwood taking every opportunity to niggle, push, drop the knees in and even kick?

Just go for the ball girls.

Kicking was definitely just them, but there was niggle from both sides.

I thought the pies got into Stevens early, which was to be expected since she won Collingwoods B+F last year.
I reckon every time there was a questionable push or sling tackle etc, our girls flew the flag accordingly.
Downie purposely went and bumped about 6 pies after she was pushed over the boundary line.

Reply #64
Skills 2 out of 10.

Spectacle: 4 out of 10.

They tackle hard but any form of rational system seems non existent....

Harris clearly a great mark but then spays it from 15 out! Levi...?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65
Skills 2 out of 10.

Only to the untrained eye my friend.

There was a reason the pies had a lot more uncontested ball than us. We set up defensive structures well and forced them to go backwards and wide to find a teammate.

We basically setup a ring about 25m around the mark and forced them backwards.

Forward structure is still a work in progress, but you'd expect that first game out with a new setup.

Reply #66
i waS REFERRING TO WHAT wE DID WITH THE PILL ONCE WE WON IT. SFA.

No matter, i'll be reading a book next time they play!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #67
Wow what a game...  ::) felt like I was watching an under 10's game
L

Reply #69
So unfortunately this was in my opinion a pretty horrible spectacle. None of the athletes out there tonight looked elite and none showed a great deal of skill (in the 1/2 I ended up watching). Now that is to be expected in a way.. The game is still in it's infancy, the participation numbers are through the roof at the moment and in a few years time the girls entering the AFLW will have been playing the game competitively for a number of years, but... how does the game come close to financially supporting itself in the near future?

If the games are played in the Summer and the season is 7 weeks long, how are the players ever going to generate the income to become professionals? If the season grows to 20 weeks... What sort of TV rights will get done and as it would likely cross over into the Men's season... How many people are going to end up paying even $15 a game to go and watch it? 1000? 5000? 10000? Will people start watching 2 games on a weekend? Will many drop the men's game to watch the women's? Both would seem a little unlikely, is bringing back double headers that go? I think that could work, but I don't think the AFL really want that.

Fremantle has sold I think 40,000 tickets for an upcoming game at $2 a pop, but how many will pay $10+ ?

The problems is that the skills were far more deplorable that I remember, despite talk by some they have greatly improved.. it felt like you were watching players who didn't really grow up playing the game. The lack of composure with the ball, of hitting targets, it really was unfortunately poor and not a lot of people are going to spend their hard earned to watch it at the moment (imo). The comments about U/15 competition is harsh, but is it in fact wrong? You see kids at that level now and most can kick 40-50 meters comfortably, have been playing for a number of years and they can move the ball and kick scores. I said the AFLW would struggle to beat a lot of U/18 sides... I do now think they would struggle to beat most good U/16 sides

I am all for propping the competition up in this short to medium term, but don't the girls need to start training (as much as it is possible) like the men? I know the game is not native to a lot of the girls who have embraced the sport and joined this competition, but you look at how the Irish players convert and we have the blueprint for what we need to get the girls skills up and that includes training 44 weeks a year as well. There is no physical reason why the girls can't put on muscle, why they can't become elite athletes and why they can't kick at least 40m accurately with the right amount of exposure and training.

It is a big ask, but I compare it to Olympic hopefuls and most are doing that with little financial reward and if the women can become elite, then there is potentially a huge payday ahead for them. The women of today need to take this opportunity and invest every part of themselves so that they set the competition up to be sustainable. Otherwise it is in danger of losing it's momentum

Many many hurdles still ahead
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #70
The ladies aren't full time, professional athletes. They have careers, and play part time, like the blokes used to back in the day. It's a new sport, new competition, 1st week in, it's a short season for them, they don't have much time to train, prepare etc.

One must temper expectations to a degree.

Reply #71
We know that the skills can be better than last night, we have seen better games than that before. To question the entire concept based on last night’s game is ridiculous.

Reply #72
I spent a couple of hours at the emergency vet with a dog with a swollen mouth and just got to see the girls sing the song - twice!

Oh, and I saw a replay of the kick to the nurries ???? She'll get suspended for the season for that effort.

Nix, my dog, made a full recovery ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
Skills 2 out of 10.

100% agree.....nice to get some honest opinions. Skills are awful. Cant kick longer then 30 metres. Ground too long. Rather watch under 14s 

Reply #74
I think our opinions are largely based on our expectations.

You can't look at it in terms of a comparison to an elite men's game.
If you do you it will be a long time in meeting your expectations.

It is what it is...a concept in it's infancy, and the only expectations should be that it improves from year to year. Strength, fitness and skills should all improve as the competition evolves.

We all question the skill level currently on display but we need to realise that the players skills are being tested under a pressure that they haven't been accustomed to.
If we were to watch them at training the skills would probably be streets ahead of what we see under match conditions.
The "skills under pressure" will improve with the more games they play at that elite women's level.

How many AFL players look the goods after less than a dozen games at the top level?
That's what we're dealing with.
Let's see how they're going after 50+ matches

I enjoy it.
Probably as much as a Northern Blues match.
I was genuinely anxious in that last quarter last night, hoping we'd be able to hang on.