Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75361 times) previous topic - next topic

RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Not pretty, but got the result !!!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #1
A hard game to watch for sure but happy with a 36 point win over one of our hoodoo sides  O0

Reply #2
Not pretty, but got the result !!!

Yes, an ugly win beats the crap out of an honorable loss. Does more for the confidence too.

Amazing what happens when you have key forwards that can kick goals. Good to see Rowe get amongst it. Hendo can stay forward. We need a key defender.

Reply #3
Uninspiring win against a hapless opponent.

Put this one behind us, classic 8 point game next week against an opponent which has been a thorn in our side for a while.

Reply #4

Put this one behind us, classic 8 point game next week against an opponent which has been a thorn in our side for a while.

They've just been beaten by the Lions. :o

Reply #5
Yes, didn't mind Rowe. Shows he at least knows what's going on. With some match hardening he might be something reasonable.

Hendo did a magnificent job to quarter time but was tightened up on from then on. I think if Waite comes back you play him off half back. Besides being unreliable, we need to start planning for life without him.

Reply #6

Agree,

better than losing for sure, but Saints are crap, and had a few of their best 22 out.

Norf lost to the lions btw.

Reply #7
The players were even flat after that one, they could hardly be bothered singing the club song.

There were some good passages of play and then some not so good ones. Henderson down forward was very good, Rowe wasn't too bad, Judd was terrific and Cachia seemed to wear Dal Santo like a glove so tight I hardly saw either of them. Jammo had a couple of shockers & Watson's kicking was excellent but his body positioning left a bit to be desired at times.

Hard to think that we would beat a team in the eight on that performance, the Saints are just a rubbish team that we should be beating regularly.

Happy with a win, might be harsh but for mine, there was nothing special to get excited about apart from the fact we broke that losing streak.  

Reply #8
Brisbane did us a favour with their comeback against the Roos. We need to sharpen up if we are going to beat the Roos next week. Hopefully we'll take some confidence out of tonight's win.

Reply #9
Henderson was just what we needed tonight. Rowe is a keeper if he can get his endurance working . Watson probably did more in the seniors than he does in the juniors. Simo well done, Judd same old magic, and Garlett getting more active along with Yarran. Much better efforts. Not pretty but better for certain. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10
Where was Garlett tonight ?? Hardly saw him at all.

What did people think of the physical aggression in the first quarter ?? Thought it was a good sign but it didn't actually help us perform any better than what we normally do.

Reply #11
While I'm happy to get the win I'm not getting carried away with that performance - we need to play better than that if we are to beat North next week in what is almost a finals elimination game.

I would like to see us stick with Hendo up forward now - we need to look for another KPD to replace him IMO. Rowe also did well and we need to persevere with him as a forward.

Watson kicked very well apart from one lapse and did a few things but I must say I've have doubts about him making it. There was one occasion I recall when his man got goal side of him and he was literally glacier-like in getting back - in fact he made no effort at all - a worry, but we'll see I guess.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12

What did people think of the physical aggression in the first quarter ?? Thought it was a good sign but it didn't actually help us perform any better than what we normally do.

Garlett got more into the game as it progressed, did ok in the end.

As to the biffo, nobody cleaned up Milne. 'Nuff said.

Reply #13
Henderson was just what we needed tonight. Rowe is a keeper if he can get his endurance working . Watson probably did more in the seniors than he does in the juniors. Simo well done, Judd same old magic, and Garlett getting more active along with Yarran. Much better efforts. Not pretty but better for certain. ;)

I just can't agree with you there Mantis, I reckon he is a stop-gap measure until a better option comes along. He plays the CHF position pretty well due to his years of experience in the role at Norwood but he has some limitations which will get exposed against the better teams.

I will say this though, he's a much better key forward option for us than Casboult purely on the back of his kicking for goal.

Reply #14

I was happy to see a few of our players lining up to whack Clint Jones who was tagging Murph!  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.