Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 2953 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #30
Important players are hurt EB, not confident taking on GWS

They'll have Taylor and Coniglio out next week. Taylor will be a big miss with our talls up forward

One thing, the last few years, we have easily played our best footy with half the side out. Don't know why but it keeps happening. Maybe we switch on alot more.

Reply #31
Tired of losing to this mob, always play poorly against them.
Ill cop a loss, just not against what you know. Ben Farken Keys again. A bigger hack you will not find and yet dines out on us...again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
We really got exposed on spread from a contest, they were good at, we were terrible. Their coast to coast ball movement was effortless compared to ours. They were cleaner for longer but some of the stuff we allowed to occur was criminal (eg that goal they kicked from a boundary line take away where we should have killed the contest. We really should have banked another 4 points, oh well ces't la vie.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #33
Do i need to say it?

You do NOT need 2 rucks.
It seems a few others are starting to come on board.
I thought Pitto was better ruck today, but he still only played bang on 50% game time.
TDK was exactly 75% game time.

So for 75% of the match, we had 1 ruck on the bench. That is 1 mid for 75% game time we lost.

Which would've helped with our run....
I reckon if we had an extra runner we'd have won. Wouldn't that have been handy late.

We lacked run at the end

Lacked run in the end - playing two rucks not suiting the demands of system as need more runners up and down the ground.

Reply #34
A few passengers today
Yes many. Walsh despite being rusty had 34 and 13 tackles, what a beast. The selection of Pitto was baffling, we needed another runner.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
Round of applause to Sam "Mr Professional" Walsh coming back from a big lay off.

34 touches, 13 tackles, 8 clearances, 611m gained. all game high (for both clubs) and there was daylight between 2nd.

About the only thing he did wrong was not find a target in the dying seconds.

Fantasia and Durdin, choose 1, drop 1. Experiment is over.

Pitto being picked over Cincotta was a terrible move. Pitto did very well, better than TDK, but still shouldn't have played.
Cincotta would've been handy both in the middle and as coverage for when Saad went down. Yes, hindsight is 20-20, but i said it before the game too.

8 more scoring shots, losing by 2 points. We were due. We needed a reality check. Better against a nobody team than a team we will be fighting for a position with in the 8 (or 4).

Injuries seem to be mounting up now.
Kemp, with possible concussion.
Saad, with a hamstring
Gov, with a hamstring.

Running out of fit players to cover these blokes.

Reply #36
Personally I think Pitto was the better of the two today, TDK was soundly beaten again by O'Brien who seems to be TDK's bogeyman.

I think if we hadn't had Pitto we would have lost by a lot more.
I would have liked to see TDK go at it all day with OBrien. TDK and Pitto never really settled in to work him over. I personally Never want to see the two of them play together again, just my view.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37
Prof, Watched GWS play Stkilda and they just fell in with injuries to key players in Taylor and Coniglio so Im hoping their injuries balance up ours. Given the game is at Marvel I think we will rebound ok but if it had been at their home ground/s then I wouldnt be so confident.

GWS will eat us alive on that deck.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #38
So I'm a glass half full type.

We execute better (not remarkably mind you) and we win.   Owies at the end could have won it with nothing more than some composure.  I think the message from the bench about how long was left was lacking with a few minutes to go because we seemed to think there was no time left even though there was plenty.

We'll learn from that but we shouldn't have to.   We fell for the same old stuff.  Ben keays reserves 3 or 4 goals and we let rankine go head to head with cripps like idiots at stoppages. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
So I'm a glass half full type.

We execute better (not remarkably mind you) and we win.   Owies at the end could have won it with nothing more than some composure.  I think the message from the bench about how long was left was lacking with a few minutes to go because we seemed to think there was no time left even though there was plenty.

We'll learn from that but we shouldn't have to.   We fell for the same old stuff.  Ben keays reserves 3 or 4 goals and we let rankine go head to head with cripps like idiots at stoppages. 
I think we lack leg speed. We rely on scoring for TO a little to much me thinks. We dont have enough line breakers. Adelaide move it quick to space by hand and we couldn't do anything about it, Freo did the same last week. Adelaide, like Freo, forced us to kick to contests. Vossy and co need to go to work and come up with the counter plan.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
I think we need to try TDK back, Pitto ruck. Gov, Kemp or Young don't look to be the second key back. One of them plays as the 3rd, which ever is fit apparently. We can't play H, Charlie and TDK fwd at the same time. Badly miss a third hybrid fwd like SOS or Martin. No wonder the interest in the kid from Sydney.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #41
No Fogarty, No Carlton.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #42
No Fogarty, No Carlton.
We definitely missed his defence pressure fwd of centre, their mids and defenders just walked through us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Don't forget Owies kicked a goal and wasn't paid

Reply #44
We were ordinary when it mattered and allowed the Adelaide forwards far too much space.
Walker seems to have Weitering beaten between the ears.
Pitto was our best ruck. Tom was useless on the ball and delivered little as a forward.  he had to have a down game, but I really hate it to be against Adelaide, whom I despise!
Our midfield work was terrible; Adelaide just walked it out. We probably got as many centre clearances in the end, but ours were ordinary and under pressure. No such thing the other way.

Fantasia has to go back to the VFL: he was very ordinary today and provided us with nothing. We were killed on the ground in our forward line. Corey Durdin wasn't a lot better, but he was down as well. Three tackles this week, which wasn't enough.
Matt Owies: robbed of a goal in the 3rd quarter and then has the worst brain fade in history in the last few minutes. Either of those, and it is game over. But he had only 9 possessions, double Fantasia's number.

Ollie H didn't have a great game. He needs to discover his run again. Elijah was also off the pace today, but he did do some very nice things. He'll probably survive. Carroll may not: almost invisible. :(
Live Long and Prosper!