Skip to main content

Poll

Pick your best 22 players (22 votes allowed!)

1 - Walker
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
2 - Menzel
[ 18 ] (3.6%)
3 - Murphy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
4 - Gibbs
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
5 - Judd
[ 5 ] (1%)
6 - Simpson
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
7 - Buckley
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
8 - Kreuzer
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
9 - Cripps
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
10 - Watson
[ 0 ] (0%)
11 - Warnock
[ 0 ] (0%)
12 - Boekhorst
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
13 - Yarran
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
14 - Jones
[ 0 ] (0%)
15 - Docherty
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
16 - Viojo-Rainbow
[ 0 ] (0%)
17 - Rowe
[ 15 ] (3%)
18 - Jaksch
[ 15 ] (3%)
19 - Giles
[ 0 ] (0%)
20 - Holman
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
21 - Sheehan
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
22 - Tutt
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
23 - Henderson
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
24 - Whiley
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
25 - Smith
[ 0 ] (0%)
26 - Foster
[ 0 ] (0%)
27 - Armfield
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
28 - Bell
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
29 - Gowers
[ 0 ] (0%)
30 - Johnson
[ 0 ] (0%)
31 - Dick
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
32 - Graham
[ 20 ] (4%)
33 - Everitt
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
34 - Walsh
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
35 - Curnow
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
36 - Wood
[ 12 ] (2.4%)
37 - Fields
[ 0 ] (0%)
38 - Byrne
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
39 - Thomas
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
40 - Jamison
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
41 - Casboult
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
43 - White
[ 14 ] (2.8%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
46 - Ellard
[ 0 ] (0%)
47 - Russell
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Topic: Pick your best 22 players - Part 8 (Season over - wooden spooners) (Read 118764 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your best 22 players

Reply #90
The thing that worries me about that side is there's only three players who weren't there last year, one is Kreuzer and the other has injury/fitness concerns (Jaksch).
Assumption is those listed are all fully fit. If KJ isnt ready/available, move 2E to the HBF and slot Sheehan into the BP. I think we are starting to build some depth and options.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
I think we are starting to build some depth and options.

Same thing gets said every preseason. :P
Perhaps. However every year, I look at the players that pick themselves or are automatic selections if they are fit. We have generally had 15 or so players in this category and not much else. I reckon that number is slightly higher now and then there  is plenty to pick from to fill the 22 whilst leaving out others that could easlity fill a role. Now I am not saying the "plenty to pick from" are world beaters at this stage but at least we have more good AFL std players to pick from than in the past. Just my opinion, time will indeed tell.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #93
Here's what I meant by the above post

Auto Selection   
1   Andrew Walker
2   Troy Menzel
3   Marc Murphy
4   Bryce Gibbs
5   Chris Judd
6   Kade Simpson
7   Dylan Buckley
8   Matthew Kreuzer
13   Chris Yarran
15   Sam Docherty
17   Sam Rowe
23   Lachie Henderson
33   Andrejs Everitt
35   Ed Curnow
39   Dale Thomas
40   Michael Jamison
41   Levi Casboult
42   Zach Tuohy
44   Andrew Carrazzo

Fill 22 or a role if required   
9   Patrick Cripps
10   Matthew Watson
11   Robert Warnock
19   Cameron Giles
27   Dennis Armfield
28   Tom Bell
32   Nick Graham
43   Simon White
21   Ciaran Sheehan
30   Blaine Johnson
36   Cameron Wood
46   David Ellard

Unknowns but likely to fill a role if required   
12   Blaine Boekhorst
14   Liam Jones
18   Kristian Jaksch
20   Nick Holman
22   Jason Tutt
24   Mark Whiley
31   Matthew Dick

Unknowns   
16   Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
25   Clem Smith
26   Jayden Foster
29   Billy Gowers
34   Bradley Walsh
37   Tom Fields
38   Ciaran Byrne
47   Fraser Russell

With the auto selections, I dont reckon Levi, Buckley, Menzel, Docherty and Rowe were 100% autos at the start of 2014 where as now I reckon they are.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #94
The thing that worries me about that side is there's only three players who weren't there last year, one is Kreuzer and the other has injury/fitness concerns (Jaksch).

Despite the optimism about our new players, we really haven't added anyone to the list who would be an automatic selection for us, or any other team.  I don't have any of our new players in my best 22 because none of them have done anything to displace established players.  Until such time as they do, our improvement has to come from players returning from injury (Kreuzer,and I'll include Thomas) and developing youngsters (Cripps, Graham, Sheehan).

What is missing from the additions to our list is an established, high performing AFL player.  Hopefully, Jones and/or Jaksch will fill that gap.

The problem with that is we lost Waite, Robinson and McLean who were arguable best 22 last year. Jones is a like-for-like swap with Waite but we really need two quick midfielders to replace the other two as we were severely lacking in that area last year. I know we don't know who they are yet (Boekhorst/Dick/Tutt/Smith) but nobody should be happy with that line up for next year because we'll have the same problems again.

I'll be watching the NAB cup very closely.

Reply #95

Despite the optimism about our new players, we really haven't added anyone to the list who would be an automatic selection for us, or any other team.  I don't have any of our new players in my best 22 because none of them have done anything to displace established players.  Until such time as they do, our improvement has to come from players returning from injury (Kreuzer,and I'll include Thomas) and developing youngsters (Cripps, Graham, Sheehan).

What is missing from the additions to our list is an established, high performing AFL player.  Hopefully, Jones and/or Jaksch will fill that gap.

The problem with that is we lost Waite, Robinson and McLean who were arguable best 22 last year. Jones is a like-for-like swap with Waite but we really need two quick midfielders to replace the other two as we were severely lacking in that area last year. I know we don't know who they are yet (Boekhorst/Dick/Tutt/Smith) but nobody should be happy with that line up for next year because we'll have the same problems again.

Neither or Robbo or BM were quick - the latter far from it. We'll miss Robbo's madness, that's about it.

Dada - bring on Clem Smith!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #96

Neither or Robbo or BM were quick - the latter far from it. We'll miss Robbo's madness, that's about it.

Dada - bring on Clem Smith!

My point is we didn't have the players to replace them last year so new guys need to, which is why filling their roles with players like Cripps is going to get us nowhere.

Reply #97

Robbo in fine nick.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #98

Robbo in fine nick.
Indeed, that was never his problem. Always had excellent conditioning.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #99
^^

Not as good as that.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #100
^^

Not as good as that.
Yeah mate. Been following him on social media since he started AFL. I recall photos of him years ago in the off season shooting magpie geese up north with Joey Anderson. Barefoot and tops off in the bush and he was dead set cut and ripped to the buggery. Has always prepared himself well. I agree he is super ripped, obviously has a point to prove. I wish him well.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #101
Shoulders and thighs look much bigger.

Reply #102
Shoulders are like boulders. Watch out Murph! :P

@G2C

Well said, best of luck to him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #103
All we have to do is wait until he inevitably sprays the ball straight into our hands!  :D  :P
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #104
All we have to do is wait until he inevitably sprays the ball straight into our hands!  :D  :P

Will be interesting to see the team's reaction to one of them being Robbo'ed