Skip to main content
Topic: Women's League (Read 31703 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Women's League

Reply #16
Yes, that is a worry.

I have watched a few Women's Footy games that are very reminiscent of junior footy, when one really good player basically dismantles an entire opposition.

The AFL will need to be very switched on in regards to the drafting/trading if they are to make an even and competitive league.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
I would seriously prefer to watch paint dry.....how anyone could find a women's footy league of any interest whatsoever has got me beat......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #18
I would seriously prefer to watch paint dry.....how anyone could find a women's footy league of any interest whatsoever has got me beat......

I think it is all relative.

You should be able to appreciate the professionalism and the contest regardless of the size, weight and velocity of the contestants. On the professionalism, there are quite a few female athletes that would leave many of the men in the shade. Perhaps having a few "professional" female athletes around AFL will force the boys club to grow up! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19

x2...you can add women's cricket and basketball too...

Reply #20
Not a fan of most women's sport but can watch women's footy.....and (strangely) golf .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #21
If you can bring yourself to watch soccer at all (personally not a fan) then the top level women's soccer is pretty good from what I've seen of it. Also saw a few snippets of women's footy recently and they look pretty good I must admit. Don't know whether I'd be prepared to go along to games but I may watch on TV if/when it's televised.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
I don't mind women's sport and happily watch netball, hockey and basketball.

Women's footy is occasionally played at Box Hill oval and I have wandered over for a look.  I'm not sure what the level is but the players' ability varied quite a lot.  The better players were very good and had excellent skills.  I think that I could watch women's footy if the standard was uniformly high.

Restricting the competition to 8 teams is a good start but I'm not sure that the talent pool is there just yet.  Even with the lead time, recruitment of elite sportswomen and intensive coaching, it will take some time to build up numbers, feeder competitions and interest.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
Not a fan of womens sport especially cricket and basketball....a womens AFL league will hold no interest for me...
You get used to watching sport at the elite level then having to watch the games been played at a lesser standard and at half the speed its just frustrating viewing.
Unless your own children are involved I cant handle it all...have seen a lot of womens basketball having my kids involved and having to watch a lower level game of womens BB before your kids are next to play can do your head in...

Reply #24
The height of the hoops, 10 foot above the ground, means the men's and women's games will be quite different as dunking and tip-ins are always going to be a rarity in the women's game.  But there are no such structural issues for Aussie Rules.  The 50m arcs don't have any significance in the rules and can be painted at 45m or any other distance anyway.  The ball used in the women's game is size 4.5 rather than 5 to favour longer kicking.  Apart from that, everything else is the same.  A lot of people prefer local footy to AFL even though the play is less ballistic.

Reply #25

I'm the same, in fact I have the same opinion about women's tennis too.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #26
Congratulations on Carlton Being one of the first inaugural teams in the Women's League.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #27
Will the Women's League be replacing the Little League at half-time in the seniors ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #28
Well done, CFC. Personally, I think it is great.

Any truth in the rumour that the girls have approached Everitt? ;-)

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
Just heard the news on SEN. Very positive for the CFC - well done!
Reality always wins in the end.